Old 03-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I seem to be taking lots of heat about the video, and my comments about it. I want to make this last statement on the matter and then I'm off this thread.

My point is the passing on the Right is not totally illegal in and of itself, and depends on circumstances.

As an example, if passing on the Right were illegal, no one in the center or Right lane on three lane freeways would end up going anywhere.

Yes, the VW was in the wrong in the video legally because she tried to move over into the truck's lane when the truck was there. But my point is it was a totally avoidable collision, not really an accident because there were two pig headed drivers combating for the right of way.

If the VW driver had not moved over, no collision. If the truck driver had not sped up to prevent the VW driver from moving over, no collision.

The truck was obviously going too slow in the Left lane or neither of the two cars would have tried, or wanted to pass him on the right.

It's like the old saying, "it takes two to tango".

Sorry if I ruffled some folks feathers about this, it was not my intention.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #86
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
You're funny Steve.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

It's like the old saying, "it takes two to tango".

Sorry if I ruffled some folks feathers about this, it was not my intention.
More like, it takes two to tangle

I tell my son to avoid accidents even if he's in the right because with accidents you have soooooo much paperwork that it's just not worth being right for 15 seconds

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. The paperwork is a max PITA.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #89
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The truck driver wasn't in the wrong, would be the point. The Nissan and VW drivers both deserve 30-days in jail.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:04 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The truck driver wasn't in the wrong, would be the point. The Nissan and VW drivers both deserve 30-days in jail.
Hi, if you weren't a truck driver, you wouldn't say that. First off the trucker shouldn't have been in the left lane. Second, the truck driver shouldn't have been jaw jacking on the phone. And third, The truck driver should have maintained his speed. So by your terms the trucker should have spent 90 days in jail for the three things that he did wrong. And did you notice the trucker didn't hang up his phone until they were stopped on the side of the road.

The Nissan driver did nothing wrong; He made a clean lane change, no horn honking, or panic braking from the truck driver. [free pass]

The VW driver should have waited or should have made a complete lane change instead of hanging between lanes. [30 days in jail]

Bottom line: if the trucker was in the right lane, where he belongs, there wouldn't have been a accident!

Note:In Oregon, the left lane is for passing only.

Note: In California, no passing on the right means no passing where there isn't a marked lane.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:43 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, if you weren't a truck driver, you wouldn't say that. First off the trucker shouldn't have been in the left lane. Second, the truck driver shouldn't have been jaw jacking on the phone. And third, The truck driver should have maintained his speed. So by your terms the trucker should have spent 90 days in jail for the three things that he did wrong. And did you notice the trucker didn't hang up his phone until they were stopped on the side of the road.

The Nissan driver did nothing wrong; He made a clean lane change, no horn honking, or panic braking from the truck driver. [free pass]

The VW driver should have waited or should have made a complete lane change instead of hanging between lanes. [30 days in jail]

Bottom line: if the trucker was in the right lane, where he belongs, there wouldn't have been a accident!

Note: In California, no passing on the right means no passing where there isn't a marked lane.

Bolshevic....

The truck driver was flowing with the left lane traffic following at a safe distance behind the blue pickup truck.

Trucks have a right ti use the left lane to pass just like all of the other vehicles on the road.

You might look at the video again.

The truck did not speed up near as much as the VW SLOWED DOWN as it moved directly into the side of the truck.

Should he have been yaking on the phone? No.

Should he have slowed down to let the moron in? Yes,, but the way the VW was slowing it probably wouldn't have made any difference.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #92
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
More like, it takes two to tangle

I tell my son to avoid accidents even if he's in the right because with accidents you have soooooo much paperwork that it's just not worth being right for 15 seconds
And you wont have a repaired car.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #93
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Agree.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:00 AM   #94
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

It seems like you don't like truck drivers.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #95
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Bolshevic....

The truck driver was flowing with the left lane traffic following at a safe distance behind the blue pickup truck.

Trucks have a right ti use the left lane to pass just like all of the other vehicles on the road.

You might look at the video again.

The truck did not speed up near as much as the VW SLOWED DOWN as it moved directly into the side of the truck.

Should he have been yaking on the phone? No.

Should he have slowed down to let the moron in? Yes,, but the way the VW was slowing it probably wouldn't have made any difference.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow
I think the truck was going to overtake the truck in the right lane before the impatient cars thought they were in the Daytona 500.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #96
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Road signs and marking were designed for the illiterate, not the unobservant. Color, Size and Shape communicate different behaviors an operator should observe. Anything in a white rectangle is regulatory, and that pretty solid white stripe, which is also regulatory means DO NOT change lanes. Left or Right.
When operators ignore these established rules, the chances of an accident go up.
I cant tell you how many times I have been in proximity to some idiot, putting on makeup and driving with the knees, someone balancing a triple cheeseburger in one hand, a milkshake in the other and reaching for the fries. How about the lady with a cellphone in one hand and a mascara brush in the other, face into the mirror driving at speed in opposing traffic? The list goes on.
I have actually had to exit the road and let them pass on by, well outside the area of my Bubble. I can recall 2 times when after getting back on the road they were either pulled over by the Police, or had been in a wreck.
I remember driving I-20 after an ice storm, this little fella was hauling butt at about 50-60 mph over packed snow and ice. Conditions dictated no greater than 30-35 tops. We made eye contact as he passed me. 10 minutes later we made eye contact again, he was in the median, deep in snow, frowning. I waved and smiled a "told you so" grin.
Bottom line, If you are in a cloud of fools, do whatever you need to avoid them. Driving should be an enjoyable experience, especially with your pride and joy in tow. Life is too short and precious.
This is a good thread, lots of experience and skill. Thanks to all.
Clayton
Old 03-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #97
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up Get a dash cam, hell get two one of the front, one for the rear.

Interesting discussion. For anyone curious, I invested in a Dashcam. The A118 which you can find on Amazon for under $80.

It's been a great investment, and I am very happy with it. We have a similar discussion over on the Ram forums.

Another member posted this video of him almost getting hit.
Quote:
I will tell you exactly why. I recently installed the A118 Full HD 1080P Dash Cam. The reason, asinine drivers. See my signature, that's my families entire life behind our truck. The dash cam is peace of mind for all those turds who cut me off, run a red light, stop sign, etc. I'm pulling a trailer and have a shorter stopping distance and people who don't care will still pull in front of me when coming to a stop just so they can be closer to the red light.

Why won't a GoPro work? Well I have a Hero 3+ Black Edition, it won't work. Terrible freaking battery life, won't automatically start recording on vehicle start up, no impact sensor, no saving locked files, no way to continuously record.

The dash cam I have runs on 12V, it starts recording when the ignition turns on, it holds a 32gb card and records in 3 minute clips it saves to the card. It can auto-write over the card continuously forever without me touching it.

It has one button that lets me push it and lock the previous 6 minutes so they aren't over-written. Has an G sensor that detects impact and automatically locks the past 6 minutes.

Unlike the GoPro it has night vision and works in the dark. Has a wider view angle than the GoPro, also has GPS which it writes to the files, should you need that information too.

It's called peace of mind in a world of asinine drivers, crooked cops, and sleezy lawyers.

And why would someone need a radar detector? Because crooked cops and municipalities that are equally crooked. Just read about this one FL city: This Florida Speed Trap Could Be The Worst In The Country

A city that goes out of it's way to purposefully create speeding tickets.

I think the reasons are justified.
There are a few people with Dash, rear and mirror cameras that are recording at all times. And I said this on another forum.

If you are in an accident, or stopped by the police you DO NOT OPEN YOUR MOUTH about your dash cam. Keep your mouth shut. Do not run off screaming, I got you on cam. You need to let your lawyer review it, unless you know 100% that the person is at fault. Don't freely give away incriminating evidence. Just an FYI.

BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #98
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Great advice!