Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2015, 11:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Try looking at the shadows (through your mirrors) that your vehicle and the vehicle you are passing cast on the road.

When one shadow passes the other shadow you have made it.

(Just to save the reply, yea when there are no shadows this doesn't work) , but most of the time there are enough shadows in day driving for this to help.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:16 AM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The morons are convinced that the tailgaters in the left lane behind them have ROW.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:56 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
It's not the curbside mirrors that are at fault, it's how some idiots were taught to drive. I was taught that when passing a driver should not return to his lane until the passed vehicle was visible in the rearview mirror.

What's amazing to me is that so few drivers seem to understand that breaking the laws of physics comes with consequences, sometimes dire consequences.
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:12 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I just drive faster than other folks and I pass people - unless my wife is awake, in which case we do get passed. I taught motorcycle safety courses for a while and in that course we teach (a state curriculum) expect everyone on the road to do the wrong thing. So far has worked, when someone passes I expect them to cut me off, I expect them to not signal, I expect them to pass on the right when I have my right blinker on so on and so forth.

Our F350 has "bat mirrors", large upper regular mirror and full width blind spot mirrors underneath. Very helpful.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:32 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
What I did to rectify this problem was to take my truck to a glass shop by the house and have them put a regular mirror in place of the goofy one-problem solved. Reasonable cost as well.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:39 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
It's all part of learning how to drive safely. Too bad there are so many slow learners out there on the roads.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:56 AM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I'm firmly convinced that continuing education for drivers ought to be mandatory. In too many states (Louisiana is one of them), once you get your license, as long as you always renew before the expiration date you never have to be retested.

The last time I had to pass a driving test was in 1981, when I first moved to Louisiana. But I have been required to pass a defensive driving course every three years as a job requirement, and I like to think that the requirement has made me a better driver.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:03 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Here's an example of how bad it can get when there are TWO stupid and hard headed drivers involved. I blame the truck driver MORE than the VW driver for this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=UAlSskuIWHE

If the truck driver had just held his speed, nothing bad would have happened, but no, he had to do everything he could to try to prevent the VW driver from getting in front of him.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:06 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
My old '58 Chevy Del Ray didn't have any outside mirrors. I was taught to wait until you can see the vehicle's headlights in your rear view mirror before you cut back into the right lane. That still works for me today even with the outside mirrors. (unless you're towing the AS, of course.)

I like the people who cut in way too close to you and put on their signal when they already have 2 tires in your lane. I don't think they understand the concept of "signal", to notify someone of your intent, not what you are doing or have already done.
My Dad taught me the same thing! Works well. Rear camera on the AS and courteous truck drivers who flash lights works well for towing.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:23 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Here's an example of how bad it can get when there are TWO stupid and hard headed drivers involved. I blame the truck driver MORE than the VW driver for this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=UAlSskuIWHE

If the truck driver had just held his speed, nothing bad would have happened, but no, he had to do everything he could to try to prevent the VW driver from getting in front of him.
The truck driver held his speed and even moved over to avoid the vw. The selfish driver of the vw is lucky to be alive. You can be sure after the police seen the video the driver of the vw was issued a ticket.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:23 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I use a pair of McKesh mirrors when towing. One flat mirror and one convex "spotter" mirror on each side. I'm careful to judge distance on the right side only with the flat mirror.

Nothing helps with those "other guys", but this keeps me from being one of the offenders.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Hammond , New York
I have a new truck and thought Chevy put a big magnet on my driver's side front bumper. Must have happened 5-6 times on our way to Florida.
woodenicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:34 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
The truck driver held his speed and even moved over to avoid the vw. The selfish driver of the vw is lucky to be alive. You can be sure after the police seen the video the driver of the vw was issued a ticket.
Maybe, more video analysis would be required, but it appears to me that the truck speeded up. At a minimum, he "failed to reduce speed to avoid an accident"...one of those catch alls Law Enforcement can pull out of the "bag" and use, at their discretion.....who knows "the rest of the story".

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 03-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #34

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I don't think the truck driver was hardheaded. I think he wasn't paying attention. The timing of his "What the hell?" comment is noteworthy, since it didn't happen until the accident was already over. Had he been paying attention, his "What the hell?" moment would have been when the VW driver first started coming into his lane.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:52 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
As I first stated about the video, there were two bad drivers involved, the one in the VW who tried to cut in too close, and persisted in trying to get his/her way, and then there's the truck driver who obviously sped up trying to prevent the VW from changing lanes in front of him.

There were two pig headed drivers involved, and it's a wonder the VW wasn't smashed flat as a pancake and driver killed.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile flashing lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
My Dad taught me the same thing! Works well. Rear camera on the AS and courteous truck drivers who flash lights works well for towing.
Flashing lights that you are clear is good idea as I do this for trucks, but many drivers today do not no of these skills, also if you flash then accident happen you at fault. My son is pro driver of 18 wheelers both independent & co. driver, he has about 4+ million miles w/no chargeable accidents, 2 other when auto driver turned left in front of him no chance to hit brakes tboned car, other one lane closed [interstate] he was in open lane kid came up fast tried to sq. in but lane was already gone, he wound up under trailer behind tractor. Both times no injuries very luck idiots both rec. several tickets, so as many studies find 4 wheelers at fault 90% of accidents.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:01 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I don't think the truck driver was hardheaded. I think he wasn't paying attention. The timing of his "What the hell?" comment is noteworthy, since it didn't happen until the accident was already over. Had he been paying attention, his "What the hell?" moment would have been when the VW driver first started coming into his lane.
Go back and watch the video paying attention to all that happened before the "what the hell". Even assuming the driver said that, and not the co-driver, it was said after the truck driver sped up in an effort to prevent the VW from changing lanes, and after the truck driver had moved onto the shoulder when he saw the VW moving over in spite of his efforts to prevent it. The truck driver knew exactly what was going on all the time.

The VW driver is just stupid and lucky to be alive.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Right Featherbedder, a truck flashing lights IS NOT an excuse to forget all your other responsibilities. I regard it as an ADDITIONAL input to my other lane change checks, which only indicates that that particular driver has seen me, knows my intentions, and is comfortable with my distance from him.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #39
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Passing...

Ok, "law" time?

I think there should be a change or new law stating "if a driver intentionally enters a "buffer/reaction zone", between vehicles, they are immediately at fault. This includes those who race to the front of an exit ramp before forcing a merge. This is same for all "lane merge/change" actions whether on open road or at entrance/ exit ramps. "

Imagine the "revenue"!!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #40

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Ok, "law" time?

I think there should be a change or new law stating "if a driver intentionally enters a "buffer/reaction zone", between vehicles, they are immediately at fault. This includes those who race to the front of an exit ramp before forcing a merge. This is same for all "lane merge/change" actions whether on open road or at entrance/ exit ramps. "

Imagine the "revenue"!!!!
There is already a law like that. Unless there is signage or traffic lights to indicate otherwise, a person already in a traffic lane has the right of way over someone entering or crossing the lane.