Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2017, 07:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Peterborough , Ontario
ON to FL in Nov. TV tires: Winter or AS?

We will be towing our 2017 25' FC FB from Peterborough to Florida leaving Nov 20 (first time doing so). Returning around the end of March. Daytime temps forecast below 7C (44.6F), the recommended changeover point to winter tires. However, the latter part of the trip, it will likely be above that temperature and all-season tires would be the better choice.

Anyone here made a similar trip (first part - winter tires better; second part - all-season better) and which did you go with? How was the experience?

Thanks.
George
PS: I wasn't planning on putting winter tires on the TT but feel free to comment on that as well.
George0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I am not from Canada but if you can schedule your departure by a day or 2 and watch the weather forecast you should be able to make it far enough southward as to not need winter tires.

Seams a bit wasteful to put them on for such a short need period. I schedule my departure and return runs against the weather.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by George0726 View Post
Daytime temps forecast below 7C (44.6F), the recommended changeover point to winter tires. However, the latter part of the trip, it will likely be above that temperature and all-season tires would be the better choice.
Unless you actually expect to encounter snow/ice/mud during the drive, stick with the all-season tires. Winter tires directly on pavement don't help you, and actually reduce traction when you need to stop due to the larger void spaces in the tread pattern.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Unless you actually expect to encounter snow/ice/mud during the drive, stick with the all-season tires. Winter tires directly on pavement don't help you, and actually reduce traction when you need to stop due to the larger void spaces in the tread pattern.
There are winter tires and there are snow tires. What are normally sold up in the north country are winter tires which help in snow but are really designed for cold weather driving on regular pavement. Normal tires (i.e. all season) lose their grip at lower temperatures due to the harder rubber compounds and it is strongly recommended that drivers switch to winter tires when temperatures turn cold. From my experience, winter tires work pretty well in snow.

George:

We left in late November three years ago - warm weather beginning followed by snow in Pennsylvania (we had to hole up for an extra day with 8 inches of snow). Cooler weather followed into Virginia but we never contemplated carrying two sets of tires. Just drive as per conditions dictate and you will be fine. We plan on leaving next week, my concern now is the sharp drop in temperature over the next few days.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
There are winter tires and there are snow tires. What are normally sold up in the north country are winter tires which help in snow but are really designed for cold weather driving on regular pavement.
Thank you for the clarification.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Peterborough , Ontario
Thank you for the replies. I will stay with the all-season. Daytime temps are predicted to stay above freezing while we're on our way to Lansing (avoiding Detroit I 75 and the Great Lakes) so snow should not be a problem. If it is, we'll just wait it out as we've allowed ourselves lots of time to get to our destination.
George0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #7
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
If you hit conditions that warrant winter tires on the TV then don't even bother - just pack chains, and 4 axles worth, because you will need them for both the TV and the airstream as well.

IE stick with all seasons and plan your travel around bad weather.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you put the winter tires on for the drive down, you will need the "normal" tires while you are in Florida. That's a lot of extra bulk to haul along. Cuts down on the beer

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
We will be towing our 2017 25' FC FB from Peterborough to Florida leaving Nov 20 (first time doing so). Returning around the end of March. Daytime temps forecast below 7C (44.6F), the recommended changeover point to winter tires. However, the latter part of the trip, it will likely be above that temperature and all-season tires would be the better choice.

Anyone here made a similar trip (first part - winter tires better; second part - all-season better) and which did you go with? How was the experience?

Thanks.
George
PS: I wasn't planning on putting winter tires on the TT but feel free to comment on that as well.
It's 85F here in central Florida today.
Since I started staying in Florida during winter, I do not use winter tires.
My suggestion would be to avoid a route that takes you through the mountains. If you stay at lower elevations your chances of encountering ice or snow on your way south will be a lot less.
Watch the weather. After the first day of travel you should be home free!
Old 11-08-2017, 07:29 AM   #10
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
I would think that Ontario, Michigan, Ohio, New York, and other states on your route remove snow well enough on the primary routes your all season tires will be fine. As long as you can stay off the road safely should freezing rain or sudden, heavy snow hits, you can wait for roads to clear and weather to improve.
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
I did one trip to FL that was less than 2 weeks in winter and left the snows on so I had the benefit for the travel to and from home assuming the minimal mileage when south would be OK on the tires. It was really bad for tire life as the tire pressure required for maximum load caused excessive wear in the center of the tires. Next time I am using my all seasons and will travel around the weather.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Even with modern weather forecasting, they sometimes get it wrong. I'm sitting here looking at sub freezing temps when that was not in the cards a few days ago.

Simple answer if a big storm comes up and you are headed south - pull over and wait it out. A snowed in Walmart parking lot isn't a lot of fun. It's a *lot* better than stuck on the road in upstate New York or half way across Ohio. I have data on this Never collected any similar data in Ontario or Quebec, I suspect that's just luck in terms of when storms hit. Don't get me started on the western half of the PA turnpike in winter ... yikes ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
Quote:

Thanks.
George
Last year we did the same trip from Montreal to Florida leaving November 15 and we are about to do the same thing this year. I never considered putting snow tire on our TV. In Quebec snow tire are now mandatory from December 15 to March 15. Leaving in November and returning in April means that I do not have to buy snow tire.

That being said do not do anything stupid, If you are caught in a snow storm just stay put until the roads are cleared. You might be used to driving in the snow but everyone else might not be and that is the real problem.
Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote