Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
On and off beat in the Pacific Northwest

We are planning a road trip to the Pacific Northwest this July and August with our grandkids 8, 9 and 11. What are the must sees and dos? We've been to Glacier and would not rule out southern BC. What documents would the grandkids need if we cross over into Canada? Anything special I need to know about bringing my AS into Canada?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Right now it is still acceptable to use a birth certificate and government issued photo ID, but I know soon a passport will be required. Was in Vancouver BC just last week, I used a passport, friend used the birth certificate, but not sure exactly how long this is scheduled to still be ok.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2009 23' International
Bainbridge Island , Washington
If you liked Glacier, you'll LOVE Banff/Jasper: Glacier on steroids. Don't forget Olympic Nat'l Park in Western Washington and Cape Disappointment at the mouth of the Columbia.
jglabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Three places to check out just east of Portland. Multnomah Falls, The Bonneville dam, and Beacon Rock.
The falls are right along I-84 and they are really beautiful. The dam has a museum of sorts and a glass wall under the dam to watch the fish swim by. Beacon Rock is just a really big rock, with a trail to the top that is not for the feint of heart. Info is on the web for these places if you want to look further.
Good Times, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via AIM to kitchenclose
Its best to have a passport and a notary letter from the parents stating they allow you to travel with the children. We travel across the boarder frequently and a few times they have asked for the consent letter.

TIP - Travel across the less busy boarder crossing like Sumas, Blaine (Truck Crossing)

I have asked US Patrol what was needed to bring the trailer across and he mentioned as long as you are not leaving anything behind - it will be fine.

Places to see -
If you go as far as Banff, go to Edmonton and the inside mall (like the Mall of America)
Calgary, AB Stampeed (Largest Canadian Rodeo)
Victoria (Ferry ride from Vancouver, BC), Since you are over in Victoria - head North to Nanaimo - The kids may like a fishing trip too.
Whistler - Home of the 2010 Winter Olympics
Olympic National Park (WA), Forks WA or Squim, WA Lavender Festival
Great Wolf lodge in WA - NEW

Enjoy the journey
K
WBCCI #11508
Seattle, WA
kitchenclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
One of the most beautiful trips anywhere is the Ferry from Anacortes Wa. to Sydney on Vancouver Island. Then go down to Victoria and visit the Burshart Gardens Empress Hotel, and the Wax museum. Come back accross the strait of Juan de Fuca to Port Angeles Wa. and visit the Olympic National Park and the Rain forest. Cresent lake and Lake Quinalt Lodge. Also the North Cascades Hiway, Mount Rainier, and Paridise (The visitors center on the side of the mountain). Then you can visit Mt. St. Helens. Anyone who has not seen Mt. St. Helens is missing out on one of the gread wonders of out time. Same said for Mt. Rainier. Anywhere along the Washington, Oregon coast is wonderful. The columbia george and Multnoma Falls. You can take a loop and see all of what I mentioned. Then there is Eastern Washington, (High Desert) and hot (temps over a hundred are common in July and August with 12 % humidity) and very very dry in summer I not leaks in your trailer...cause it NEVER rains here in Eastern Washington. Camping at Potholes resevor will satisfy you love of heat and water. Just a small taste of the diversity of the Northwest.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #7

2007 25' Safari
Ashland , Oregon
I would strongly suggest that you have your kids sign permission letters for you to take their children out of the country. These should be notarized and both parents should sign. Also, medical release forms would be advisable.
Ashlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:18 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord79 View Post
Then you can visit Mt. St. Helens. Anyone who has not seen Mt. St. Helens is missing out on one of the gread wonders of out time.
I agree with that times 10! I recommend it to everyone who visits, there's just nothing else like it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Anacortes, Sydney, Victoria, Port Angeles.... (see post #6). We did that trip last spring and it was absolutely breathtaking! We did it, however, without our Airstream. Be sure to check details (including fares) if taking your AS on the ferries. People do it all the time, but it does take some planning. Enjoy the trip!
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
We are planning a road trip to the Pacific Northwest this July and August with our grandkids 8, 9 and 11. What are the must sees and dos? We've been to Glacier and would not rule out southern BC. What documents would the grandkids need if we cross over into Canada? Anything special I need to know about bringing my AS into Canada?
I'm in the process of getting a Passport card for some rallies in Canada. If you don't plan to fly to a foreign country then this is the way to go. It's allot less expensive than a full passport.

The Pacific NW is a great place to visit this time of year. There will also be a couple of TCT and WBCCI rallies in that area you might what to go to as well.

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

• CHILDREN: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 will be able to present the original or copy of their birth certificate, or other proof of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card.

Groups of U.S. citizen children ages 16 through 18, when traveling with a school or religious group, social organization, or sports team, will be able to enter under adult supervision with originals or copies of their birth certificates or other proof of citizenship. See the Department of Homeland Security's GetYouHome.gov for more information on the changing travel requirements.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
The entire coast of Washington and Oregon are beautiful.

Getting into and out of Canada, bring bill of sale, registration, and proof of insurance. Leave all your guns at home.

Have you passports ready for all. A letter from their parents with thier full names and your full names stating your are allowed custody. Signed by both parents. Have it noterized.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Hope you make it to BC, it is a beautiful Province like WA and OR States with its own flavor. Victoria as mentioned is a beautiful city. We also enjoy Port Townsend, WA which is quite near Port Angeles. A time warp back to the very early 1900's.

As noted - no guns allowed. If you want to have them for the rest of the trip around the US then rent a storage box in Bellingham or Blaine, WA. No bullets either. Absolute big no-no's and they will seize them (no return policy), fine you big bucks, and send you home with a record. It is a major issue for some who just feel naked without a gun handy but in Canada the only people with guns are the police, a few folks who are collectors and hunters and licenced after a lengthy approval process, and the criminals . Get caught with one and you don't get to pass GO, you end up with the latter group noted above. Sad, but true.

If you are taking prescription medications bring a note from your doctor. Not for getting into Canada but getting back into the US.

The primary issue is not getting into Canada for American citizens. It is getting back into the US so you need to check the US Customs website. I don't want to scare you off, it is not that big a deal, but they do require proper ID, and they don't allow you to bring back stuff like vegetables and fruits and some meats so if it is in the trailer stop along the way to the border and picnic till it is gone. Again, all that info is on the US Customs website.

Whistler will be in full swing promoting the 2010 Olympics and it would be quite a treat I suspect for the kids to be there and then to watch the Olympics the following February.

Barry