Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Paso Robles , California
Nothin' like mid-week camping!!!

First off, don't get me wrong...I like people. I always try to have extra wine and beer since you never know when you'll make new friends.

That said, there's nothing like having an entire camp area to ourselves. We stayed a few days at Lake San Antonio, which is in Southern Monterey county alon California's Central Coast.

We live near by in Paso Robles, so going to San Antone' (as the local old-timers call it) is a natural for us. Perfect weather (although it did warm up yesterday while I was packing up.)

We camped at our favorite...Harris Creek HC13. Great views, close to the potty and the play structure (we have a five year-old.) We were alone 'til friday. Then a couple of other camping families pulled in in the afternoon. I guess I'm getting old, but I find it unbelievably rude for people to pull up, open their car doors and play their stereos while yelling at their kids and (barking) dogs. I also find it rude to play music until at least 10:30 (that's about when I fell asleep...I don't know how late the music actually was playing.)

Inspite of the rude neighbors at the end, we had another great time at San Antone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n2sm.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	36361   Click image for larger version

Name:	n3sm.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	36362  

Name:	n4sm.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	36363   Click image for larger version

Name:	n5sm.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	36364  

Name:	n1sm.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	36365  
kolarshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Burien , Washington
People vs Crowds

I feel the same way. I enjoy having a section of the campground to ourselves too. I don't mind people around. I don't like crowds.

My favorite times to go camping are in the fall when the kids are back in school. We sometimes pull our kids out for a extra day when we do this.

We did go camping down the Oregon coast this past December. The weather was nasty. The wind was blowing hard, the rain was coming down in buckets, the sand was caking every thing in site,...it was great!!! I loved it. There were other campers around, but, again, the camp ground was almost empty. I'd do it again.

Sam
SRoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
SROFFE;

You would enjoy Rockport. Its out RTE. 20 East. County Park beautifully kept on the Skagit River. Howard Miller Steelhead Park. Make a reservation in the middle of the week. Try to get site 8A thru 12. Back in. You will sit in your dinette and look out thru your wrap around windows at the river 20' away. Good fishing, too.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Shooter,
We, also, do mid-week camping. Mon- Fri is great for us. MUCH less crowded, but as you said, always have extra beverages for new friends.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Paso Robles , California
As the weather warms up, we'll need to stay on the coast for the cool breezes. San Simeon, here we come! (mid-week of course!)

Any other suggestions close to the central coast of Ca? We are mid-way between SF and LA on the 101.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Monterey Bay , California
I think the area around Solvang has a few spots worth checking out. We don't go to San Antone much anymore. Bad element lurking in both Lake Nacimento and San Antone. Summer time is a joke. Not much security. I think you have the right idea. Mid week camping in California is good thinking. Most are either working or in school. Good for you. Enjoy.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:25 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Paso Robles , California
You are right about a "bad element" particularly at Nacimiento...last time we drove through there, it looked like a gang member's convention. Very strange. Anyone know of good spots at lake Cachuma?