Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Just a brief update. We survived another hurricane. The rain finally stopped around 6pm, but the wind blew most of the night. We are currently near Hopewell Rocks. Current plan is to make the crossing to Newfoundland on Tuesday. More to come.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Not having much luck with WiFi, the storm has done some damage to the infrastructure here. Currently in Braddeck,NS and are on the 12:15 ferry to Newfoundland tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Not having much luck with WiFi, the storm has done some damage to the infrastructure here. Currently in Braddeck,NS and are on the 12:15 ferry to Newfoundland tomorrow.
If you have time to do a little wandering in North Sydney prior to getting on the Newfie boat, there's a really nice outdoor store called Escape Outdoors there on a the main drag, about 500 feet from the ferry terminal. It's like a mini-REI except they often have hard-to-find merch.

There's also a good restaurant called the Black Spoon less than a block from it. I get the haddock there.

Now, will these places be open and would the restaurant have an uninterrupted supply chain due to the hurricane - that I don't know.

Take pics of your rig on the boat if you can (even phone pics through the windshield). I've never been on that particular ferry, and I have a fear of ferries due to the departure angle issue (I have been to NL, but by aircraft, not ferry).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
If you have time to do a little wandering in North Sydney prior to getting on the Newfie boat, there's a really nice outdoor store called Escape Outdoors there on a the main drag, about 500 feet from the ferry terminal. It's like a mini-REI except they often have hard-to-find merch.

There's also a good restaurant called the Black Spoon less than a block from it. I get the haddock there.

Now, will these places be open and would the restaurant have an uninterrupted supply chain due to the hurricane - that I don't know.

Take pics of your rig on the boat if you can (even phone pics through the windshield). I've never been on that particular ferry, and I have a fear of ferries due to the departure angle issue (I have been to NL, but by aircraft, not ferry).
I filmed our entrance onto the ferry. It was quite smooth, maybe a three inch dip making the transition to the ferry. Not bad at all.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Currently located in Quirpon, NL at the Viking RV Park. $30 cash, no receipts. $5 for fresh baked pies. Weather is good, some light rain overnight and rather cool but having a great time.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I’ve been trying to post pictures ever since we arrived. We are in King’s Point, home of the humpback whale. They must be on vacation.

Here’s a couple shots of us on the ferry from NS. EZ on and off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E5CC5B65-0127-479C-B683-496E3107246F.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	352074   Click image for larger version

Name:	B6898990-8DC5-4032-89E8-092BCB6AA97F.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	352075  

Old 09-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Hello Tincampers. Tell us about the quality of the roads in Nl
Payan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaetannicole View Post
Hello Tincampers. Tell us about the quality of the roads in Nl
About the same as anywhere else really. From ultra-smooth to bone shaking rough. Most hills have a passing lane which is nice. Not too much road construction.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate your observations. I plan to visit Newfoundland-Labrador and St-Pierre and Miquelon
Payan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:27 AM   #30
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quirpon to Kings Point in one day? Did you spend any time exploring Gros Morne National Park?
Old 09-14-2019, 04:02 AM   #31
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I'll be in Bar Harbor next week, then kind of counter-clockwise across Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and New York before heading south. See you when you exit Nova Scotia.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:16 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
Quirpon to Kings Point in one day? Did you spend any time exploring Gros Morne National Park?
That was going to be my next suggestion. I have not been there myself, but Gros Morne is my father's favorite place in NL.

I took the pic on the Newfie boat and emailed it to my father, to blow his mind this morning. He's 83 years old and has a love-hate limited relationship with the internet (the operative word being limited - he does email with, like, three people, and opens the occasional link, but he regards the rest of the internet with high suspicion). He finds it remarkable that the internet allows us to sift through hundreds of millions of people to find someone who has, for instance, an almost-identical rare vehicle. Even more remarkable that I, three thousand miles away, now have a picture of said vehicle, as it appeared while transiting 10 miles from HIS home.

Ah, the hive mind...

Old 09-14-2019, 05:21 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We were in Gros Morne the previous two days.

I’d like to ask that people refrain from criticizing our way of travel. Hike your own hike and we’ll hike ours. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:00 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Posting this here in case it's useful because I'm not sure how often you are getting internet. My Dad complains that the news media is downplaying the seriousness of Dorian's impact on Nova Scotia. You aren't in Nova Scotia right at this moment, but the impacts will likely linger. The village that is a few miles from my property (the closest settlement) still has no electricity, AFAIK.

Here's a news excerpt below of NS park statuses as of today. It's a shame about Cape Split because that's one I'd recommend to any traveler who likes to hike.

The following provincial parks have reopened:

Battery.
Cape Chignecto.
Caribou-Munroes Island, loop A only.
Dollar Lake.
Graves Island.
Mira River.
Porters Lake.
Valleyview.
Whycocomagh.

The following provincial parks have more extensive damage and will be closed until at least Sept. 17:

Amherst Shore.
Blomidon.
Caribou-Munroes Island, loop B and C.
Ellenwood.
Five Islands.
Smileys, closed for the season.
The Islands.
Thomas Raddall.
Rissers Beach.

The following parks are closed to the public:

Heather Beach, closed indefinitely.
McNabs Island, closed indefinitely.
Cape Split.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:39 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Thanks IB, we are play to head back to NS on Wednesday.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #36
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
[QUOTE I’d like to ask that people refrain from criticizing our way of travel. Hike your own hike and we’ll hike ours. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hi Tincampers, welcome to Canada. No matter what the weather, I feel sure that the warm welcome from Newfoundlanders will make your trip. Eastern Canada is stunning in the fall.

Not sure why some people feel the need to comment negatively; we are a funny bunch.

Best wishes, safe travels.

CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Thanks IB, we are play to head back to NS on Wednesday.
Just for perspective, here is a permalink to a couple of current pictures of my property in NS, after Dorian hit the province with sustained 90 mph winds. Pretty ragged stuff, but we will fix it.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:37 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Crazy View Post
[QUOTE I’d like to ask that people refrain from criticizing our way of travel. Hike your own hike and we’ll hike ours. Thanks.
Hi Tincampers, welcome to Canada. No matter what the weather, I feel sure that the warm welcome from Newfoundlanders will make your trip. Eastern Canada is stunning in the fall.

Not sure why some people feel the need to comment negatively; we are a funny bunch.

Best wishes, safe travels.

CC[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the welcome, we really enjoy traveling to Canada. We met some very helpful Newfoundlanders in line at the ferry. They were very helpful and gave us some good ideas. She was 76 years old, small enough to put in your pocket and still dog sleds!

Most of the time the negative comments roll right off, must’ve been a bad day that day.

The weather has been great and we are seeing moose, bear, bald eagles. No whales.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:39 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
The easiest whale to see in northern Cape Breton is the pilot whale.

However, a few weeks ago, I was alarmed to see what was being hauled in by anglers fishing off the wharves - no breeding-age mackerel at all. I didn't see a single one. That fishery is now interpreted to be on the verge of collapse. Apparently the region didn't learn enough from destroying the cod stocks (a train wreck I witnessed first hand growing up), and now may be set for a repeat performance. Mackerel are a pilot whale bread-and-butter food source, so I don't know how the whale sightings are now. They used to be taken for granted. There were vendors who would take tourists out on excursions, guaranteeing sightings.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:55 AM   #40
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
We were in Gros Morne the previous two days.

I’d like to ask that people refrain from criticizing our way of travel. Hike your own hike and we’ll hike ours. Thanks.

Apologies if you thought my question was a criticism - rest assured it was not. That’s not the kind of people we are. I thought you may have unknowingly missed some of the nicest scenery in my province had you driven past Wiltondale and not made the detour to see the Tablelands, Woody Point and such. In any event I wish you the best on the rest of your journey. Safe travels.