Old 02-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #15
1972 Travelux Princess 25
Cobourg , Ontario
Hi Freeheel, welcome to the forum!

You have a beautiful trailer there. Your truck should be fine to tow it, as long as you have the right equipment.

The Reese hitch is a good start. As Inland Andy pointed out you need to set it up correctly and have the right accessories. Namely the right weight of spring bars and the best anti sway setup.

Here is a link showing the various models of hitch.
Weight Distribution & Sway on Sale!

You will need the 600lb spring bars and Dual Cam Sway Control if you do not already have them.

You do not need new springs or shocks. Maybe shocks if the old ones are worn out.

For towing, you might consider adding a transmission cooler and changing to synthetic oil in the engine, trans and differential. Just a suggestion in the interest of reliability and long life.

The weight distributing hitch balances the load on all 4 wheels of the truck plus the trailer axle. The key point is getting the hitch set up properly. Make sure the ball height is correct. Then lift up on the spring bars until the whole rig is level. For fine tuning, go to a weigh scale and weigh the front end, rear end, and trailer separately and fine tune.

There have been other threads on setting up your rig. Once you have it figured out you just hitch up the same way every time and your rig will tow like a dream.

One other tip. If you find you need more power in the mountains, you might consider low profile tires. This has the same effect as lower gears in the rear axle but is easier and cheaper. Also makes the truck more stable in side sway situations.

Living in the trailer park of sense, looking out the window at a tornado of stupidity.
Ganaraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:09 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2009 19' International
Calgary , Alberta
Hey Gang!

Thanks again for all the great advice. Reading these posts is nicely taking my mind off the fact that it's currently -30 outside my office with a windchill

I will definitely be adding the proper equipment to our rig! I've already made calls to a local distributor about the Reese weight distributing hitch with 600 rated trunnion bars and the high performance sway kit. Meanwhile, last night I printed off about 20+ pages of useful info (from the forum here) on setting up a WD hitch as well as watched the very informative UTube vidy. Based on that, I'm strongly considering doing this install myself. I want to make sure it's done 100% right and my confidence in having other so-called experts around here doing the work is somewhat diminished. To be determined, I guess.

I'll be swapping out our rear shocks with OEM parts appropriate for our model tundra. Ours are 9 years old and I wasn't happy with them before (i.e. feeling squishy on drivers side). Again, this will not be an upgrade, only bringing the vehicle back into its original spec so I can eliminate this as a possible area of concern and/or weakness.

The synthetic oil is a great idea and our truck came with the trany rad, which is nice. I have a full set of summer wheels that will be going on once the snow stops flying for good (not until mid-May), and I'll be setting everything up to work with that setup once they're on. The have the same diameter of winter tires but slightly larger rims.

Power-wise, it will be interesting to see how she performs since we have some fairly high passes to cross (7000 ft) if we go into the high hills. I understand that it's best to tow with overdrive off and at 100km/h that brings the engine revs up to 3000 rpm where the tundra seems to be very happy, tho.

That said, we'll be starting off really slow on all this stuff. There are plenty of places to go here in under 100 kms that won't involve going up more than a few hills. I just want to spend the summer getting comfortable with basic towing, building up some experience and getting a smart routine established. Can't wait!

Freeheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #17

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

'Yer doing it right for sure.

Shouldn't have a problem with the hitch, your work is guaranteed, right?

Keep us posted!!!
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
Welcome to the forum!! Nice to see another A/S in Calgary! Jonathan

jhenry is offline   Reply With Quote