Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
full time in canada/US , British Columbia
Trailer driving skills

I bought a 27', 1974 airstream this fall, and just having it sitting in the back yard, reading a lot of the threads on this forum, has lead my partner and i to decide we are going to run away from home in it for a bit. As a web designer, i can pretty much work from anywhere, so living the airstream dream full time is the plan.

Of course we have a lot to learn before we hit the road, taking one step at a time. One of the steps is niether of us has actually driven a truck/trailer combination. Rather than practice on it, i was hoping to find somewhere that would give you lessons.

On an initial search, all i come up with is Tractor trailer, or car. From experience, what are people's thoughts about how difficult it is to learn how to drive. Is it just a matter of being cautious inititally until you gain some experience and confidence? or should i try to find someone in the area that can teach me?

Kim
khadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Welcome to the Airstream world

You can probably figure out how to drive it on your own....especially if you find some of the threads here that give you tips. Backing up is the trickiest. We were lucky enough to live near by an instructor from Training Locations and it was truly worth the time and money.....but it doesn't appear that they have any training near you. You might touch base with them and see if they know of anyone in your area. Also try to go to a rally of Airstreamers.....you might find someone in your area that would be willing to caravan with you and give you some pointers......you will find a whole world of wonderful assistance on this forum.....hope to see you down the road....welcome aboard. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
I actually learned to drive a truck & trailer when I was 16. I had bought my own horse, and my dad, though determined that I would finance the horse completely on my own, was a softie and decided to buy an old rusty truck and horse trailer for me so I could drive my friend, our horses, and myself to all the horse shows. Although my dad never once towed a trailer himself (that I know of), he did a HUGE service for me. Before he would let me haul the horses, he took me to an empty church parking lot close to our house and made me drive it around, just to get the feel of it. In fact, he made me learn to back it straight in a parking stall before he'd let me go with it! Of course, a 2-horse trailer is much smaller than most Airstreams so cornering is a whole different skill you need to learn, but believe me, an empty parking lot is your friend! Just take it slow, get the feel for it, and be cautious on your first trip. You'll get the hang of it in no time. :-)

Sheri
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hello Kim,

Welcome...Trailering is not difficult, it is an easily master skill, but mistakes can be expensive. The good news is that most of the things one needs to know are common sense based, and are available through other resources...Such as this forum.

If you‘ve never towed a trailer before you’re not alone. I believe many here jump into RV ownership under the same circumstances. The good news is…The bigger the RV…The easier it is to tow. The key to success is having an appropriately rated tow vehicle (TV), a quality hitch, brake controller, and an understanding of how to setup your system in a way that works for you. There are many knowledgeable people here who will gladly answer specific questions you may have.

Here is my take:

Towing can be broken down into 5-basic actions, some of which are natural to normal driving:

1) Before You Go: Check TV and RV systems, including but not limited to: Fluid levels, tire pressure, brake controller operation, light functions. Then make sure the hitch setup is correct for your application, and any lubrication points (if required) are addressed.

2) Straight Line Driving: No big difference from normal driving. Just remember that many RV’s are wider than the TV. They are also susceptible to crosswinds and drafts from larger vehicles... With proper TV and hitch selection the effects of winds and drafts will be minimal.

3) Turning: The turn radius of a trailer is always less than the radius of the TV. As such wider turns are required when towing. The longer the trailer, the wider the turn radius.

4) Braking: Simply put…Stopping when towing typically requires more distance. Properly functioning trailer brakes are critical to safe towing. I try to double my following distances when towing, and anticipate stops whenever possible.

5) Backing: I venture to say that most trailer damage occurs during the backing process. The good news is...the longer the RV, the easier it is to back. RV’s are big, and most of the time backing vision is limited to using the left and right side view mirrors, which seems intimidating. The good news is that this is an easy skill to master. It is not difficult, but does require practice to become proficient. The easiest way to learn is to practice…practice…practice. Oh and did I mention…Practice. The best place to practice is in an empty parking lot. I use the painted lines as a guide, and practice backing in a straight path. Once you develop confidence in straight line backing, set up some curves using plastic cups as a guide. Then practice. Use a spotter, and work together as a team. When you get tired, take a break and come back another day.

Keep the questions coming, and keep us posted to your successes.

Best of Luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Trailer driving skills

Greetings Kim!

Welcome to the Forums!

I will make a suggestion that may be a bit unconventional, but might help. To get some practice towing a trailer prior to taking the plunge with your Airstream, have you thought about renting a tandem axle U-Haul for a weekend to practice? While it would only be 1/2 the length of your Overlander (27'), it would give you the chance to practice turns, backing, etc. Local rental of a U-Haul trailer is quite reasonable, and if you can master backing the tandem U-Haul, your Overlander shouldn't prove a problem as it will be less abrupt in its reactions.

Good luck with your venture!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Here's a link

to some basic RV towing information: RV Towing Tips - Home page ... there's a lot of information here.

But you can easily (?) learn on your own ... IF you take it slow and easy to start out. Most important tips I can offer are these:

- make SURE that your tow rig is compatible with your trailer in terms of hitch setup, wiring, brakes, etc. If you have any doubt, a nearby RV dealer can at least help, and a nearby Forums member can probably help a lot ... if you think you need help, just ask!

- wheels, tires, bearings, brakes and hitch are all mission critical. Failure of any of these can lead to disaster ... check them out carefully.

- MOST (though not all) tire failures are the result of low air pressure ... a few dollars spent on a reliable gauge, coupled with REGULAR pressure checks can save your bacon.

- when backing, go SLOWLY. A lot more slowly than you think is too slow. I have a pair of cheap, rechargeable walkie-talkies ... one in the hands of partner behind you (and off to one side) can save a lot of grief.

Good luck!

Ryanh
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
One more thing

Our RV instructor asked us if we knew how to spell "Back". His answer was "SLOW".

He also told us how to park at Target so no one could box us in (far away from the door as possible close enough to a curb that no one can park in front of you and angled a bit so you can pull out).

Another thing was to watch for unwritten road signs---like places where others have scraped guard rails, etc.---you will know that at least one other had a problem there....so take it easy......

The other suggestions are good ones......especially practicing in the parking lot.....pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
The main thing that comes to my mind is don`t forget it is back there.
Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Charlottetown , Canada
trailering

Hi there, your best bet is to jump in there without any fear. My Brother just bought a 31 ft 1971 Sov and he was always nervous of the thought of driving on the 401. Well he followed me up to London ontario, I'm pulling a 34ft limited and before i knew it there he was passing me ready to go a wee bit faster (airstreams in my opinion are the easiest towing trailers). I would love to see your trailer as we are not far from you during the winter anyway. We own a campground in PEI during the summer and during the winter we are in Alexandria Ont, not 1 hour from you. Anyway you let me know if you would like any pointers or even meet for a coffee somewhere to discuss Airsteams..... we ALWAYS have time for that.
Cheers!
WBCCI9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Many good things already said. Here's my additions:
  • Your first several times towing, keep your speeds down. Learn merging, handling, turning, and braking at these lower speeds first. If you're used to driving 70+ mph on highway, try towing at 55 mph. On non-highways, even slower. Don't be in a hurry to arrive safely. Find your comfortable towing speed later rather than sooner.
  • The trailer may track just inside of your vehicle path in a turn. This is especially important on right turns, where there is usually less turning clearance due to signs, poles, and people located on the curb. Practice your turns in a parking lot or other area where you can drive various speeds without obstacles. Learn how to drive a bit deeper into a turn. Watch the trailer in your mirrors while turning. Turn while applying the brakes. See, feel, and learn.
  • Allow both of you to experience backing the trailer and being the helper. If one of you is always the helper, the helper will never really understand what the driver can see in the mirrors and where best to stand and provide assistance. Figure out how to communicate left, right, back, stop, etc in a manner you both understand.

Your confidence in towing will grow very quickly. A couple of trips is all you'll need.

Good luck and enjoy your Airstream.

Tim

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
little trick

Kim,

Here's a little trick I learned in a watercraft class:

Most people drive with their hand on the TOP of the steering wheel when cruising down the road. The reaction is intuitive that if you want to go right, you move your hand to the right.

When backing the trailer, put your hand on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel. When you want to go right, move your hand right.

Woody
Woody.303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
2 things to think about when backing up.

1) Know where your axles are in the rear view mirror. This is the pivot point of the trailer. This is where you'll line up the TT side with where you want to park. Watch out for the rear overhang. This is the part of TT that's behind the rear axle. It can go out over the grass (or into a site marker, tree, or a tall rock) at a site while backing in if the site is narrow.

2) G.O.A.L. Get out and look. Don't be embarassed to get out & make sure there's enough room. look up for tree branches & power lines. Pull up ahead if necessary to straighten out. I'd rather come over & laugh with you at your 12 tries over a beer than quietly feel sorry for your latest battle scar.Don't be afraid to ask for help. An extra set of eyes behind you is great insurance to have.

Ricky

Can't stress enough to take your time. If you get frustrated, get out & take a short walk before trying again.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
When I started towing about 8 years ago I was very apprehensive at times.

One thing I would do is practice wide turns WITHOUT the trailer. Whenever I was driving my truck I would swing wide on any turn I took.

Any bit helps.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Greetings!
I am still currently looking for my AS. I have settled on older, no, newer. Smaller, no larger. Larger means bigger truck...er maybe small. I love reading these posts and learn something new every day!

I would like to add my 2 cents about towing, I used to own a 20' sailboat, have driven a Ryder truck with car trailer from Maine to NM, towed a U-Haul 6x12' from FLA to NM, and currently tow (on a regular basis) a 10' utility trailer, a Ford pickup bed trailer, and a 24' car hauler. I totally agree with everyone who has written, take it slow, and be patient. When going forward and turning a corner, say left-hand turn, aim the TV to the far right side of lane you want (I think "big swing"). Turning right, don't cut the corner short, as you normally do when turning, but aim to the far left side of the intended lane.

As for backing, I have a great teacher. Don took me out into a deserted field and we set up the desired location for the trailer. He walked beside me as I backed and he talked about cutting the wheel too much, not enough, etc. He had me do the wrong things, and the right things. Doing it wrong, without pressure, is a good lesson. Stop, get out, see what the trailer is doing. Also, realize that if you give yourself extra backing room, you'll be happier.

One last word, being female, I do get tired of folks who try to "help". LEFT! RIGHT! MORE RIGHT, etc. Once you practice, and gain confidence, just get into "the zone" and put your trailer where you want it. I found that having alot of extra help sometimes rattled me more than people just being quiet. My partner will watch for me, especially when I'm near the stopping point, but will otherwise keep quiet. Practice, practice. :-))
barbara4rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
You probably want to make sure you have a weight distribution hitch (I think there are 3 popular brands, $1k-3K) and a break controller ($300-600?). The weight distribution hitch is pretty complex to configure for the first time on your own. See if you can find a dealer to install both the break controller and the weight distribution hitch.

I picked up my airstream after leaving the truck and they custom instealled fitted distribution hitch (an Equalizer) and the break controller (Prodigy). Due to liability reasons they would neither calibrate the break controller nor tell me how to do it. They would only point out the page in the manual that explained how it worked. Plan on a good 30 minutes to learn how the break controller works, about another 30 to finish calibrating it (sensitivity and boost), and a good 15-30 minutes testing it. It helps to have a big area to practice without the pressure of cars or traffic. It was 2 hours after I picked mine up before I was ready to head to get on the road with traffic, and I had my wife follow me home to make sure everything looked A-ok.

My pickup bounces a lot more with the trailer attached. I don't notice it much until I glance back at Whiskey (my dog) on the back seat. I assume if the rear seems to bounce I might have too much weight shifted to the front axle? Good Luck
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #16
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
You can get a good weight distributing hitch for way less than that. I ordered mine online from a dealer in Tennessee and paid under $200 for the hitch and under $100 for a Prodigy controller.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:58 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
full time in canada/US , British Columbia
well, thanks all, this is really helpful. Seems like i got a whole course in trailer driving skills over night! I love the walkie talkie idea, and all the other great tips. Feeling a lot more confident already.
khadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Hey Khadley!
I am new at towing also... I got a lot of help from my dad, neighbors, strangers, etc. Everyone was sincere in trying to help but - the best assistance I received was from a guy who used to drive tractor trailers. What he did differently was actually get in my truck with me and guide. Wow - what a difference. The most valuable lessons I got from him were in regards to backing....some as mentioned here already:
  • Go SLOW. I thought I was going slow but he kept saying slower - seemed like a snails pace.
  • After you put some turn into it, straighten the wheels again.
  • If your turn is too extreme, don't continue backing & trying to correct. Just pull back out forward and try again.
  • Get Out and Look at the rig when not completely sure where it is situated (esp when backing between two things --- like a mailbox and a tree). \
  • Use the mirrors rather than twist around to look back. He said if I felt compelled to turn around, just get out. I quickly learned to use my mirrors to find my rear axles - that is a great benefit.
Unfortunately, I'm having trouble acquiring the optimal tow vehicle. Until then, I am very cautious pulling with my truck. I plan my trips in advance and travel at/below the posted speeds and at off-peak times. My biggest issue thus far was not planning re-fueling adequately. Found myself tooling down the highway, nearing empty and finding only stations with pumps that I could not maneuver into (pump approach was tight and facing perpendicular to the highway - no room to turn). I was seriously thinking I'd have to pull off the road, unhitch the trailer and go for gas.
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have to agree with Overlander64. There are two issues. First skill set and of course what proper gear to have.

I agree, getting a $40/day U-Haul will give you a great initial experience on towing, backing up and basic maneuvering. Get any additional insurance that they offer because the odds are you may damage it first go at it. Spend a few days with it. Highway driving, backing up (backing up could take a day in and of itself) and of course, driving around town, in and around tight areas and such.

From there, look at the trailer and tow vehicle you will use and suggestions can be provided, but first and foremost, get some "trigger" time behind the wheel with a trailer. Even though a U-Haul type trailer will be smaller, the physics and movement- action/reactions will be similar.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #20
Rivet Master

I disagree

I think that it is not a great idea to just jump in and go for it. And Backing up is the least of your concerns. I think that highway driving is the most
dangerous part of towing. Learn, read , ask all you can before you head out on a big trip. Learn about sway, brakeing, jack knifeing and roll overs.
Don't be scared, be smart and careful.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote