Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Yeah, smart to sit tight!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Well they picked her up at 7:00 am to finish some cosmetic things,,..should be done completely today. I tried everything last night. Works good.
I'm not coming home till probably Sunday morning. Gonna give it a good day of full use with the rain before I leave.

Plus if a tornado hits or gets near I can get in the shelter here.

Thanks for the well wishes.

I will have a summarization before I leave. When things are done.

Shane
Waiting out the weather is a very good idea. There is no safe way to get to Texas right now, from what I can see.

Sitting through the rain and checking for leaks is also good. I like the idea that they are now putting in rubber gaskets. May be a parade of forum readers heading back to JC for those.

Take care and keep us posted.

Maggie
Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I think Airstream should hire Shane!! He's the best thing since Wally Byam!!

I have a love/hate relationship with this thread, though. Am loving the vicarious experience at the mothership -
hating the thought that my model is also a 2010 and am wondering if I have/will have similar problems.

Have a safe trip home Shane. I bet you will love looking in the rear-view mirror, seeing your fixed, DRY, Airsteam bobbing along.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #104
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post

hating the thought that my model is also a 2010 and am wondering if I have/will have similar problems.
Yes, Shane surely would be a good spokesperson for Airstream.

But, Fly', people have very different experiences with the trailers. Some have lots of problems, some have few or none. It is as if they were made by 2 different companies. One might think it has to do with different personalities, but those with problems document and list them in detail, so I think they are not crazy. This happens with trucks too—some brands have bad reputations but you will always find people who have had no problems and driven their truck well over 100,000 miles. And vice versa—good reputations don't matter for the few drivers who have numerous bad experiences. Given that all the testimony on the Forum is anecdotal, it is hard to come to definite conclusions.

Good luck with the weather. The first time we stopped at JC (not with the trailer), after we left we were dealing with tornado weather from Indiana to eastern Colorado. We drove fast and long days to get through it. We beat a tornado in western Kansas by minutes as it crossed I-70 behind us. A weather radio is a wonderful thing when you are in severe weather country.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
As far as product problems go, I always believed in the built on a Monday Theory. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Gene, thanks. That gives me a bit more peace of mind. But I am tempted to print-out some of Shane's photos and take them to the dealership next time the trailer is there for some warranty work (tail light needs replacing) and asking if there is any preliminary checking they can do to insure this is not happening to my unit.

Shane - watch that weather! After all this we do not want you to end up like Dorothy in Oz!!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #107
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Well airstream cut me loose. I'm sitting in the terra port. Grabbed subway,again....sitting here watching the weather.

Gonna do the tour again with Don.

I will post pictures this evening of my CUSTOMIZED airstream, rebuilt by airstream/Paul.

Also, I hooked up my airstream and Paul checked my Reese hitch while hooked. He measured and said less than 1/2" in height from back to rear...said everything was fine.

Stay tuned for some more pics of my stream and maybe I can get a picture of the new gasket on the current models near the sewer hose.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #108
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Shane, looking forward to the photos of the gasket. Glad you are happy with the results. Our experiences at the service center were good too. And glad you had the hitch checked because it did look not too good in those photos, but photos can lie.

I hope the weather clears soon and you can get home. How was the Verandah? I think there's a pizza joint in town, but we didn't try it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Well airstream cut me loose. I'm sitting in the terra port. Grabbed subway,again....sitting here watching the weather.

Shane

Too bad there isn't a fellow streamer there to fix you a hot meal.

You'll be glad to get home to your family and home life.

Maggie
Old 03-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #110
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I had my 1978 Ambassador in for repair about 10 years ago. The technician that worked on it told me that he was one of the people who originally built it. That blew me away. What better person to repair it? Great folks there.
Tom
Old 03-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #111
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Shane, looking forward to the photos of the gasket. Glad you are happy with the results. Our experiences at the service center were good too. And glad you had the hitch checked because it did look not too good in those photos, but photos can lie.

I hope the weather clears soon and you can get home. How was the Verandah? I think there's a pizza joint in town, but we didn't try it.

Gene
Gene, the Verandah was good. I had the honey Dijon chicken wrap.

Gonna start the tour in 20 mins.

Check with you guys later.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 03-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #112
Troutstream

2006 28' International CCD
Centerville , Ohio
Good luck with the weather Shane. I am sorry that I had to pull your weather shield (aka Airstream) from the terraport. I wish I would have had some time to chat and see the results. Be safe and enjoy your trip back to Texas. We are heading to Austin and Big Bend in November. I am always happy with results in Jackson Center.
TROUTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #113
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post

I have a love/hate relationship with this thread, though. Am loving the vicarious experience at the mothership -
hating the thought that my model is also a 2010 and am wondering if I have/will have .
Me too. mine is #035 built May '09. I had some leakage at the wrap around windows during a serious Texas rain storm when new, but some caulk and nothing since. It's stored in a barn and our travels keep us in the 12" to 18" annual precipitation regions.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #114
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROUTD View Post
Good luck with the weather Shane. I am sorry that I had to pull your weather shield (aka Airstream) from the terraport. I wish I would have had some time to chat and see the results. Be safe and enjoy your trip back to Texas. We are heading to Austin and Big Bend in November. I am always happy with results in Jackson Center.
Nice meeting you also. No worries on the weather break....airstream put another one in your place!

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 03-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #115
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Here are the pictures of the new gasket under the belt line where the sewer compartment attaches...........

The box of magic!!

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 03-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL
The box of magic!!
Shane, you crack me up!

Old 03-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #117
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
What would you do.????

I'm in a concern here..looks like I am staying till Monday.

There is a loud creak by the shower door in the hall when I step on the floor.
I was hoping it would go away....but I'm more upset at what I discovered while making dinner tonight......

Airstream chipped my counter top and put the chipped piece back and did not tell me. I emailed Chris the second I found out....I'm sure they will fix it,......I'm going to stress all weekend now!!!

What do you guys/gals think?

There is even new caulk under the chip......

Here are some pics....

I'm so upset,..I could cry....I don't want to cause a stink here,..just good people....but I didn't do it......

I'm just worried..I hate conflicts.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 03-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I love all the karma talk here. People, this is a business. A business that is out to maximize their profit. I found several things damaged in mine. It's the reason I posted earlier about staying and looking at EVERYTHING in your camper. I had to leave but I found the gas leak and had to stay. If I had not walked into my camper when I turned on the tanks I would have filled the camper with gas. I too have damage to my drawers under my bed - the formica is chipped where it looks like they were dragged or stacked poorly on edge. The hood on the stove popped off partially on the tow home - only 2 of the 4 screws were in place. Welds on the frame supports to add strength (a factory recall they still will not admit to but will do the work for FREE) were not painted or treated for rust. On, and on and on.

I'll say it again, look over the interior close. Good luck on the repair, it's business not friendship.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Don't stress, Shane! Just tell Chris someone broke it and it needs fixing. (If it makes you feel better, throw in a "accidents happen, I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but I don't think I should accept this, do you?" in there.) Bummer.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
Me too. mine is #035 built May '09. I had some leakage at the wrap around windows during a serious Texas rain storm when new, but some caulk and nothing since. It's stored in a barn and our travels keep us in the 12" to 18" annual precipitation regions.
Antique Ped, I had a leak in a bathroom wall seam. Returned to dealer; that issue seems to have been repaired - and I live in one of the wettest climates in N. America.

I have held back on having a RV shelter built because I want all problems to be exposed while it's under warranty.

It seems like there are a lot of problems with the 25' FCs. Mine is a 27 footer. I can't see how that would make a difference as to quality. Maybe more 25 footers are sold, so that's why they seem so prevalent on this forum.

Shane, I could cry for you, but don't leave until you are 100% satisfied.
Sounds like they were rushing because they know how badly you want to return home, but if things get wrecked because they are trying to accommodate a customer, all is lost.

Tags
floor, jackson center, rot