Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Memphis, Walking with Elvis - or Ducks?

Going to Memphis TN this summer. Graceland RV Park looks nice, has decent rates and reviews. Anyone been there? Other places convenient to downtown Memphis & the Peabody Hotel.

Paula
Old 04-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
I've been to Graceland, but not the RV park. Tim Shepard of the Vap went and talked about it on one of his podcasts. He was there in the hot summer and said with everybody running their AC the power was not sufficient. Otherwise, he had good things to say. I didn't think I would like Graceland when we went, but I did really like the tour and will even go back someday. Eat some BBQ, not at the tourist spot downtown called the Rondevous, but Central Barbecue on Central Ave, or their other location on Summer. Great BBQ! If you are here in May go to the World Championship BBQ Contest or other Memphis in May events. There is a lot to do here.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
bump
Old 04-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We stayed across the river at Tom Sawyer CG,, right on the banks of the Mississippi. Great park, watched the big barges push back and forth just outside our awning.

Very easy access to downtown memphis.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
We just got back from Memphis and we stayed at Tom Sawyer Campground in West Memphis about 10 minutes from downtown Memphis. We had a spot right on the banks of the Mississippi and could watch the barges go up and down the river. It is a beautiful RV park and very well maintained. The folks who run it couldn't be nicer. If you choose to stay there, follow the Tom Sawyer Campground website for directions and do not follow GPS because it takes you through a less than desirable neighborhood. We went to Graceland and really enjoyed the tour. Make sure you get the premium tour so you can tour the airplanes and car museum - we just got the tour for the house and wish we had spent a little more for the Premium Tour. We also went to the Peabody and got there at about 4:30 to watch the ducks march the red carpet at 5. Very cute! We made the mistake of going to Rendevous restaurant which was just ok and we felt really rushed - I too heard Central BBQ is better but we just didn't have time to get there. We talked to some local folks who suggested that we go to Uncle Lou's next time for their dipped chicken. It was also reviewed on Diner's, Dives and Drive-Ins. We went but didn't think we would feel comfortable going in because the center is a little questionable so we aborted our plans. The local folks we talked to said we made a big mistake and that it is really good and all the Memphis cops go there to eat. The only negative we found with Tom Sawyer Campground was the barges can be a little noisy at night as well as the train that likes to beep his horn in Morris Code in the middle of the night
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I'll chime in as another vote for Tom Sawyer. Full disclosure, I haven't seen or stayed at the Graceland park, but I liked Tom Sawyer. It is *not* a bargain place, but laundry is free and I really did enjoy watching the tugs work barges up and down the river. If we have the occasion to stay in the area again, we'll definitely go back there.

It's just across the bridge in West Memphis, AR but access to Memphis TN is excellent.

The bath house near our site was clean (and cleaned daily) and the sites in the year-round section were level pull-throughs.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Love the Ducks at the Peabody!

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Good to hear about Tom Sawyer. I'll have to try it sometime, maybe for our maiden voyage when we get the Caravel out for it's first trip. It's almost too close though. I will cast a second vote for Uncle Lou's too! Get that chicken with "Sweet Spicy Love" sauce and you won't be sorry. It is a questionable area, and I haven't been in the evening. I do lunch there often though.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
I was shocked in a nice way to find that Graceland RV park charges $40 per night for full hookups with Good Sam.

Most resorts rip you for BIG bucks. Williamsburg VA - average is $70 per night during the height of the season.

What are the rates at Tom Sawyer?

Paula
Old 04-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I was shocked in a nice way to find that Graceland RV park charges $40 per night for full hookups with Good Sam.

Most resorts rip you for BIG bucks. Williamsburg VA - average is $70 per night during the height of the season.

What are the rates at Tom Sawyer?

Paula
On the river with Good Sam is $35 for concrete sites, $32 for gravel.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I have a weakness for a bit of vice - so we stay at Tunica, which is about a half-hour south of Memphis.

We have also stayed at Tom Sawyer and enjoyed the river traffic. And when we hear a train whistle, we know we are traveling.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ouray , Colorado
We stayed at Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park which is ~20 minutes from Graceland last month. While there are other asphalt CG's out there, Meeman-Shelby has trees, over 100' and trees between neighbors, electric / water and dump. I would recommend it again, as it was relaxing opening the back hatch, having a campfire, and enjoying a glass of wine.

There is also a part of the part on the Mississippi where we let our dogs go swimming! Very secluded.

Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park — Tennessee State Parks
jasperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
my vote is for Tom Sawyer, book early to get one of the riverfront sites. we did the ducks at 11:00 a.m. at the Peabody... one of those things you do once...also just down the street from the Peabody at the corner of Beale St is the Blues City Cafe...good food...the TN welcome center, just across the I-40 bridge, will allow you to park for free and you can take the trolley which is a good way to get around the heart of downtown Memphis..also dont miss Nashville on your trip...Two Rivers RV park, about a mile from the Opryland Hotel, fairly close to Broadway and downtown, is a good place to stay.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote