Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Walking on the roof - cleaning / inspecting

My roof is starting to get fairly dirty and Id like to clean it before its too bad. Also Id like to inspect the sealant around the vents and stuff. Does anyone have any setup ideas for getting on the roof without screwing up the aluminum?
Resorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
I would like to know the answer to that as well. My 68 "O" is in need.
Aluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Walking on roof

Airstream say's you can walk on the late model roof's and they walked all over mine with no damage.
I walk on the ribs when washing or repairing and would walk on the ribs of older units.

Gunny
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
I think id still be afraid to walk on it. If I push down between the ribs it does flex. Id hate to stretch the rivet holes and create a leak. I was thinking about making some kind of platform but Im not sure what the best way is to set it up. I have steped on the rib one time but it can get slick up there.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:14 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
Airstream say's you can walk on the late model roof's and they walked all over mine with no damage.
I walk on the ribs when washing or repairing and would walk on the ribs of older units.

Gunny
Did you see any flex when you walked across the ribs?
Old 11-04-2007, 08:20 AM   #6
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Walking on roof

None.

Gunny
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
When the time comes that I need to get on top of the Minuet, I will make a bent lamination to fit the curve of the roof. Figure about 18" wide by 5' long should be about right. Easy for me as I make bent lanmintion on a regular basis in suport of other parts of my custom design business. If you have access to someone that can make same locally ask and see what they would charge. Otherwise give me a call when you travel through Colorado Springs and I can arrange to make one customized to fit your coach.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:55 AM   #8
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I rested aluminum extension ladder on the top of the door frame and climbed up that way. I put some duct tape on the door frame to avoid scratches.

I stayed on the rivet lines and didn't notice the roof bending or buckling.

I don't go up there unless necessary but a couple UV damaged and broken vent caps needed to be changed.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Avon , North Carolina
If you just need to wash it with brush or mop on a pole...use a 10 ft. step ladder, put it as close to camper as you can, have someone lean against it on the opposite side while you are on it doing your was thing. Also, what I did when inspecting the seals, and replacing a vent cover, was to lean one of those aluminum teloscoping ladders against a rib area(with towel wrapped around it for marks) and got on rib area as much as possible, but laying on butt with a leg crossed under you seems to spread out the weight sufficiently. Just be careful not to slip off on the edge. Dents to aluminum aren't as important as dents to your body!

2006 23' Safari
2007 F350 Lariat Crew 4X4 PSD
AIR# 21875
WBCCI# 3778
Region 3, Unit 144 (Eastern North Carolina)
gotohatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
This an excellent time to pass on this reminder..
Weight limitations for the Airstream roof is, as stated by Airstream, 250lbs on the rivet line.
Be careful~
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:32 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
Jim washed & waxed ours using 2 ladders and a plank. Never actually put his weight on the roof. Would recommend padding on the awning to protect your chest though.

Good Luck,

Leslie
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:00 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincrew
Jim washed & waxed ours using 2 ladders and a plank. Never actually put his weight on the roof. Would recommend padding on the awning to protect your chest though.

Good Luck,

Leslie
Thats kinda what I was thinking about doing. What size and type ladders did you use? I bet it could get a little shaky up there.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I use a folding ladder similar to a "Little Giant" but generic and cheaper. I fold the top section at an angle so it rests on the roof. The next section down rests against the side of the coach. I glued carpet scraps to the inside ladder frame where it contacts the skin. To move around on the roof I use several planks to distriubute my wieght.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resorts
My roof is starting to get fairly dirty and Id like to clean it before its too bad. Also Id like to inspect the sealant around the vents and stuff. Does anyone have any setup ideas for getting on the roof without screwing up the aluminum?

This subject has been kicked around many times, on this forum.

WALKING ON THE ROOF OF AN ARGOSY OR AIRSTREAM TRAILER IS OK,
as long as you stay within the length of the awning rail.

DO NOT go beyond the length of the awning rail.

Leaning a step ladder against the drip cap that's on top of the windows from 1966 and up, will not damage the trailer.

Many years ago Airstream had 30 (thirty) mechanics stand on the roof of a 30 foot trailer. They water tested it after the fact, and found no leaks.

Walk with caution and stay on the horizontal stringers, when ever possible.

Obviously, you don't want to do any rock and rolling dances while on the roof.

Having special ladders, platforms and the like, is a waste of time and money.

No dealer or the factory, ever has a problem walking on the roof. They all do it.

Wear soft sole shoes or sneakers when on the roof.

DO NOT attempt to get on the roof if it's wet, or even damp. If you do, you will probably fall off, very quickly.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
DO NOT attempt to get on the roof if it's wet, or even damp. If you do, you will probably fall off, very quickly.
Andy
...and I'm spending good money to take my kids to the waterpark?
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
Be carefull of the plastic airconditioner shroud. I poked my the pad of my thumb through it, just pushing off for balance.

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I have been on the roof of mine three times and had no problems. Andy's advice of staying within the awning rail line is important. Stay off of the end caps.

I also have a carport and have backed the coach up to the carport and leaned over the edge to work on things.

It's not as scary as you think and the Airstream is actually strongly built on the roof. Think of the weight that is up there with the air conditioner etc....
Old 01-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yeah, ours has a nice dent forward of the AC, a legacy of the PO, one of many. Some weeks ago (pre-snow), I used a toilet plunger to try to pull it out. The plunger worked, but the dent would just pop back in.

Humm. Now that there's snow on the ground, we have lots of time to ponder the next move. One idea is to remove a rivet from the inside and use expanding foam: While one of us holds the dent out from the outside with the plunger, the other of us sticks in the straw and fills the cavity with the foam. Then sit, wait, and hope.

Lynn
Old 01-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I have had good sucess using soft rubber knee pads and kneeling on the rib lines. fully clothed I weigh in at close to 250 lbs and did not experience any flexing of the body at the rib lines. Make sure your shoes have soft toes too by the way so they don't scratch the areas behind you. I used some foam plumbing pipe insulation around the sides of my metal folding ladder to cushion between the ladder and the tops of the window frames where I typically leaned the ladder. I did not find any particular need to actually stand up on top of my rig.

Malcolm
Old 01-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Ft. Myers , Florida
I use swimming pool noodles on the extension ladder for chafing gear. For cleaning the top, look at Shurehold products at your local marine hardware store. They have a wide range of telescoping handles, brushes, mits, etc. It's what we use to wash down yachts, and modern yachts are almost impossible to wash safely. (form over function) They're pricey, but you only have to buy the stuff once, it's good quality. I also walk on the frames if I have to go on the roof, I wear good deck shoes and knee pads, and go slow. --Mark--
S/OS #045 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax w/ Hensley Hitch, 15" GY Endurances and Tire Minders

--Mark and June-- "Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I go lay down until it passes." Mark Twain
Wharf Rats is offline   Reply With Quote