Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
We thought about The Pinery too, so beautiful there - but we got friends who have a cottage close to Point Farms, we've got a dinner planned.

Steve, we'll be on site 38 in Huron campground. I'll keep an eye open for a man with a whippet.
Colbourne 144. Willow's a Greyhound and will be really offended to hear you call her a Whippet!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Paris , Ontario
We are new to camping as well, just bought a 78 Sov. 31'. I think we will try staying at Pinehurst (Ayr) as well as Belle Falls (Waubaushene -just outside Midland) - If you like a nice quiet place i would suggest Belle Falls. I've tented there a few times, very small campground, but very friendly and quiet. - lots nearby - Midland, Penetangishine, Balm beach, Wasaga
78SovIntl31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:35 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I can't believe how quickly the Provincial Parks are filling up this year. We only just got a spot at Long Point for a week and a half in early July. We actually changed our plans and booked two days early to secure the last spot that's close to the beach, the playground and the showers.

We also got into the Pinery for the beginning of June (finally, can't wait) and into Point Farms for the May long weekend, but again, just.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
I can't believe how quickly the Provincial Parks are filling up this year. We only just got a spot at Long Point for a week and a half in early July. We actually changed our plans and booked two days early to secure the last spot that's close to the beach, the playground and the showers.

We also got into the Pinery for the beginning of June (finally, can't wait) and into Point Farms for the May long weekend, but again, just.
I can't get into this early booking lark, it's annoying and frustrating so I just don't play. That said, we do try to get the Victoria Day weekend sorted out early. Point Farms seems to where the families gather on that weekend to avoid the noisy youth who will be occupying all the big and popular parks like the Pinery, Rondeau and Long Point.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
It'll be our first stay in Point Farms - I am really looking forward to it.

I agree with you about the early booking. Last year we booked a lot later as well, but this year my wife has a couple of work dates she can't move, so we won't be as flexible.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #26
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Lovely campsite

I would recommend a lovely little provincial park west of Sudbury called Chutes. It is about 1km north of the village of Massey. There is a truly rushing waterfall (not huge but impressive nonetheless) with a lovely big pool and beach at the bottom. Campsites numbered 91-96 or so are just above the falls and have a lovely soft sussurrus (sp?) all night long. There are also very nice woodland hikes. This park is one of those small hidden gems that few know about. Sometimes bigger is not better, just harder to get into. That is NOT a pun
Leonie
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #27
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We bought our AS from Can-Am in London, ON when we lived in K-W. Our first maiden voyages were to The Pinery and McGregor Point on Lake Huron-- both off-season, and both non-crowded in March/April, and both beautiful. We also went hiking periodically at the Elora Gorge, and the campsites looked nice. (I would avoid spring break time, though, when a lot of high school kids go to The Pinery.)

At The Pinery we were very glad we bought a long extention cord. Yes, our site had hydro, but it was nowhere close to our parking spot.

The best advice we ever got as total newbies to RVing was not to be afraid to ask other RVers or the campground host for advice or help. We never asked anyone who wasn't extremely friendly and helpful. Many RVers are retired guys with mechanical skills, and I think they actually enjoyed feeling helpful to the newcomers.

If you are former tent campers you have a lot of the basics of outdoor living down pat. Now you can enjoy the "glamping" part!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Paris , Ontario
I am looking to park my trailer in a campground for the season, although I will take it on a couple of road trips this year. Can anyone recomend campgrounds that accept older trailers? I have been turned down by several parks now because the trailer is over 10 years old. My trailer is in nice condition, and frankly looks much better than most of the new white box trailers out there.
Preferably +/- hour drive from Brantford/ Cambridge area.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78SovIntl31 View Post
I am looking to park my trailer in a campground for the season, although I will take it on a couple of road trips this year. Can anyone recomend campgrounds that accept older trailers? I have been turned down by several parks now because the trailer is over 10 years old. My trailer is in nice condition, and frankly looks much better than most of the new white box trailers out there.
Preferably +/- hour drive from Brantford/ Cambridge area.

Thanks!
Call your trailer a 2009 Airstream 31' International Anniversary model and all should be well
Old 02-07-2014, 04:28 AM   #30

Currently Looking...
Listowel , Ontario
London Fanshawe is a good place to start.

You might try London Fanshawe on the Upper Thames for a place for your older trailer, some trailers are pretty scary there ! I don't know if there's a grandfather clause at work, but I see lots of old trailers there. I would think it's about an hours drive from Brantford.

Actually there's three parks in the Upper Thames group, London, St Marys & Woodstock. They are all on the internet to look and reserve too.
bradamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:57 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Penfield , New York
Quote:
Call your trailer a 2009 Airstream 31' International Anniversary model and all should be well
Hello! You might try Valens lake Conservation area, 30 min outside Cambridge. It has a decent campground managed by Hamilton, Ontario. I was there in October 2013 and noticed a storage yard and option that appeared well organized and clean. A popular alternative for many people! Good luck!
DreamsInSlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:26 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Shore Acres in Port Dover is a nice quiet park right on the lake and just outside beautiful Port Dover.
Not much at the park for activities but lots to do in Dover and surrounding area.

My parents have their 5th wheel there and there are at least 2 Airstreams that live there. One gentleman who full times in an 80s or 90s 34' and uses Shore Acres as his summer spot. There's also a 70's Airstream that is parked permanently. they have both "permanent" and short term campsites, almost all sites have full hookups, and the rates are reasonable, especially if you don't have slides which they charge extra for.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
Another spot could be Deer Creek Conservation Area on County Road #45, about 30 minutes north and west of Long Point. Our neighbour used to park his 30 year old trailer (not AS) there for the summer. They close the park on Thanksgiving and everything hasnto be out.
with 3.5L EcoBoost
crunch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #34
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch27 View Post
They close the park on Thanksgiving and everything hasnto be out.
I'm guessing that has to do with their insurance policy...
Old 02-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Paris , Ontario
Thanks everyone, I have sen't emails to several campgrounds suggested, and others - just waiting for replies. - For anyone looking, Shore Acres in Port Dover lists a No Pet Policy,Deal breaker for me, but might work for you. - I'm not going anywhere without Winston, my Bernese Mountain Dog,
Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #36

Currently Looking...
Listowel , Ontario
Ticks and Dogs.

Just remember when choosing a park for the dog that there could be ticks there if going down towards Lake Erie. I was at Rondeau two years ago and decided not to go back, even though I love the park in the warm days of autumn. Had three dogs, deer ticks & testing for lime disease. Even the wife got one. Cost for testing, worrying what we missed on the dogs. It just wasn't worth it for us with dogs, and what's camping without your dog(s) ?
Longpoint too just for a daytrip, we found a couple of dog ticks (not deer ticks) on the dogs, even though we were careful to stay away from the tall grasses. We are not parinoid about ticks, but with the dense poodle fur, it's hard to spot them until they get larger in size after a couple days.
bradamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #37
EnglishGirl

2000 31' Excella
Milton , Ontario
Looking for good camp sites in Ontario

A friend has a trailer at NET Camping Resort in the Niagara area near Vineland. They are very dog friendly. There is a lovely big field that is used for tent campers and only seems to fill up on busy weekends that is great for the dogs to have an off leash run.
The lake ( pond really) is lovely for the dog that likes to swim.

We have also camped at a lovely park near Hanover Saugeen Springs RV park it's right on the Saugeen River and although dogs must be lashed in the camp ground they have extensive trails where the dogs can be off leash as well as a small dog park. We never used the dog park but the trails were wonderful for our whippets to run. We have a 2000 31 Excella and never had an issue. We saw a lovely restored oldie Airstream the first time we went. You can tube down the river from 2 drop in points one ends in the park the other a couple of miles down the road.
Englishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Paris , Ontario
Thanks All,
We have decided on Country Gardens RV Park in Petersburg, ON
Country Gardens RV Park - Home Page

Josh