Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
Northern Florida / Southern Georgia? What do you recommend?

We're planning a migration down to Hollywood, Florida via the Georgia coastline and wondering if anyone has any recommendations for cool towns and/or state parks or really whatever in Northern Florida or Southern Georgia.

We've already done St. Augustine in the past which I think was very cool. We're into quaint little cities like that. Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA are pretty ideal for us as far as cities go, too, but we've got 3 kids 1yr, 2yr & 11yrs and are into great state parks too. Manatee Springs State Park in Florida would be an idea of "ideal" for us.

But basically we just want to find somewhere new to check out and are looking for suggestions.

So what do you think?
clicknathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Try this if you think it would work. Springs and river are really nice.
Blue Springs Park, High Springs, Florida - 386.454.1369
Old 01-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Fort Clinch State park, Fernadina Beach, Fla., just inside the Fla. line. Great park. Old fort, river, ocean, neat town. They have an ocen front loop if you're luky enough to get a site. Florida is crowded this time of year.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
It would be hard to compete with the quaintness of Charleston and Savannah, but we enjoy Fernandina Beach (north of Jacksonville), a small town nestled between the ocean and the Intracoastal Waterway. It is also located between Fort Clinch State Park (where you can camp either on the ocean side or the river side) and Little Talbot Island State Park, which has beach access. The drive from Fernandina south through Amelia Island is a pretty one. South of St. Augustine, there is camping directly on the ocean at Gamble Rogers State Park, but you should check their website for site sizes as many are quite small. They also book up very quickly, as do most Florida State Parks. We also like Tomoka State Park if you can get out on the water; I believe they rent canoes. The waterways wind through the marsh and would remind you of the area around Savannah. Your kids would see lots of large alligators! Farther inland, between Ocala and Orlando is the small town of Mt. Dora. It's kind of cute, with lots of antique shops and restaurants and older historic homes. Another interesting place to stop is the area around Merritt Island where Cape Canaveral is located. The Canaveral National Seashore is there as well. We've never camped there, but I did an internet search a few years ago and found some regional/county parks in the area if you want to visit the Kennedy Space Center. If you don't mind roughing it, check out the Ocala National Forest where there are campgrounds (no electric) near some of the many springs in Florida. We've been to both Juniper Springs and Alexander Springs. As I recall, there is swimming available in both springs (the water is pretty cold at 72 degrees!). Enjoy your trip, and if I think of more places, I'll post again.
Rollster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
FDR State Park (Pine Mountain, GA) is one of our favorites; trails to hike with the kids, Callaway Garden nearby, Pine Mountain is a cute little town.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Fort Clinch State park, Fernadina Beach, Fla., just inside the Fla. line. Great park. Old fort, river, ocean, neat town. They have an ocen front loop if you're luky enough to get a site. Florida is crowded this time of year.

John
Are any of those spots in the beach loop really oceanfront or are they like most of the sites at Gamble Rogers, where they're protected by dunes and sage brush and you don't have a view of the ocean? Thanks!
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Top Sail SP in FL near Pensacola on the Gulf
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
St Simons Island , Georgia
Check out the Golden Isles of Georgia .... Specifically St. Simons Island and Jekyll Island.

Both are about 45 minutes north of Jacksonville, Florida. St. Simons Island is a small island with a beautiful natural beach (East Beach), gorgeous live oak trees, and a cute village area with pier and a kids play area with brand new pool. The kids may like going to Ft. Frederica National Monument, too! There is no place to camp on St. Simons, but the next island over (30 minutes away) is Jekyll Island which has a campground: Campground « Jekyll Island Jekyll also has the Georgia Sea Turtle Center, which the kids would like and a water park called Summer Waves that is opened seasonally.

Hope you enjoy your time in our neck of the woods.
A&D
pdozanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Ocean Lakes CG, Myrtle Beach, SC

It's not Georgia or Florida, but the sites are literally steps away from the beach. There are dunes but they are low, you can see over them even from the windows of a low lying Airstream.

The sites in the beach loop at Fort Clinch are a pretty good walk across a board walk, and there are some large thickets between the sites and the view in some places. My avitar picture was taken there.

For pure OCEAN FRONT camping, Ocean Lakes is hard to beat. It is a mega park but extremely well managed and works perfectly.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 006.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	176842  
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
We just did this trip! We stayed at Ft Mcallister state park just south of savannah. We drove in to savannah and walked it one afternoon. We left there and went to little talbot island one night and then hit Gamble Rogers. FYI we were in site 21

Name:	image-1046031069.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	453.6 KB
ID:	176843

The ranger told us we had the best spot, I thought she was required to tell everyone that but she explained there wasn't anything in the way in our spot. She was right.

We left there and hit manatee springs for a night and then went to topsail hill for Canopener.

The only spot we had reserved before two days ahead was our Canopener spot. Everything else was luck of the draw and "let's try this place out"
If I had to pick my favorite, Little talbot island state park was my favorite. We felt like our spot was carved out of the jungle.
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdozanne View Post
Check out the Golden Isles of Georgia .... Specifically St. Simons Island and Jekyll Island.

Both are about 45 minutes north of Jacksonville, Florida. St. Simons Island is a small island with a beautiful natural beach (East Beach), gorgeous live oak trees, and a cute village area with pier and a kids play area with brand new pool. The kids may like going to Ft. Frederica National Monument, too! There is no place to camp on St. Simons, but the next island over (30 minutes away) is Jekyll Island which has a campground: Campground « Jekyll Island Jekyll also has the Georgia Sea Turtle Center, which the kids would like and a water park called Summer Waves that is opened seasonally.

Hope you enjoy your time in our neck of the woods.
A&D
2nd the golden isles!
There is another good campground near the interstate at blythe island if the jekyll campground is full.
Both st simons and jekyll have lots of bike paths. Jekyll has miles of beaches!
If you dont mind roughing it, huguenot city park in jacksonville is on the ocean....no hookups but nice
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus View Post
We left there and went to little talbot island one night and then hit Gamble Rogers. FYI we were in site 21

The ranger told us we had the best spot, I thought she was required to tell everyone that but she explained there wasn't anything in the way in our spot. She was right.
Hahahaha, go to reserveamerica.com and try to reserve that spot. I dare you. It's not available for a year. You most certainly lucked out and found a cancellation. I've been trying to get that particular spot forever. Good on ya!
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hendersonville , North Carolina
I second Fort McCallister State Park in Savannah, great marsh views, good trails, nice camp! Another well kept secret is Crooked River State Park at Kingsland/St Marys Ga (Exit 3 off I-95). Very woodsy, large camp sites, good nature trails. If you're lucky you can catch a Trident Submarine tour at Kings Bay Naval Base.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FtMcAllister.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	176868   Click image for larger version

Name:	CrookedRiver.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	176869  

Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post

Hahahaha, go to reserveamerica.com and try to reserve that spot. I dare you. It's not available for a year. You most certainly lucked out and found a cancellation. I've been trying to get that particular spot forever. Good on ya!
Absolutely. We know we filled a hole between reservations or grabbed a cancellation. Either way we took it willingly and gladly.
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
guyton , Georgia
we live in guyton ga and should be done working on th A S in the spring hope to see some more A S in the area then.
r.swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Saint Mary's, Georgia is a beautiful little town, and you can take a day trip to spectacular Cumberland Island there for a day of tromping the beaches and trails through forests of live oaks.

A lovely, carefully preserved island which allows no motor vehicles and includes the tiny, slave-era chapel where JFK Jr. got married.

Crooked River State Park is lovely, but our favorite is A Big Wheel RV Park just outside the state park. For just a few dollars more, they have full hookups, laundry facilities, etc., and are one of the friendliest, warmest campgrounds we have ever been to.

Concrete pads, flowers, everything tidy and well-kept and a campground potluck every Sunday night. The owners are a wonderful couple.

Maggie
Old 01-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Winter camping in SE Georgia

Here are some thoughts:

** Charleston - try James Island County Park. Make reservations for next December right now. The light show for Christmas is fabulous and if your family Christmas tradition permits this could be a good addition. More Southern comfort food - try Jacks Cosmic Dogs ( Jack's Cosmic Dogs » Intergalactic and World Famous Since 2000) with the kids. 82 Queen is a reasonable walk from the Fort Sumpter dock and carries great she-crab soup, fried green tomatoses and other delights. Fort Sumpter is an easy boat ride and a good visit for the kiddos:
Charleston County Parks and Recreation - Campground & Cottages

** Savannah - we stayed in a different (to remain unnamed) park and desperately drove around looking for alternatives for a later trip. We found Skidaway Island State Park - others should comment. We plan to try it for our next visit to Savannah:
Skidaway Island State Park | Georgia State Parks

** SE Georgia - We were at Jekyll Island for the first time this year. The staff was warm and the campground well run. It's a little crowded and reservations a bit difficult since it is a prime snowbird destination. The main attraction was Jekyll Island with its mix bike paths and the historic old town. Wildlife, birds, sunsets and access to southern comfort food. Try Mud Cat Charlies among the many off-island choices for comfort food. The mixed seafood platter is generous and delicious although everything on it is fried. Sites are unpaved, level with three-point hookups. Campground « Jekyll Island

** SE Georgia - Huntington Beach State Park is well recommended by friends and on our travel plan for next year. According to our friend there is a lot to see and loads of Southern comfort food. Reservations are through Reserve America:

Camping
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
I guess I missed the "coastal" reference earlier. We have not stayed here, but have a reservation in September for Hunting Island, actually in SC. Supposed to be beautiful, and hard to get reservations; I don't think this was mentioned previously so apologies if it has already been mentioned.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

Old 01-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #19
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
Wow! What a response, thanks everyone.

We'd normally just go exploring, but we've got somewhere specific to be at a specific date and time, 10 days apart in Asheville and Hollywood, Florida. Looking forward to digging into some of these spots!

You guys are great!
clicknathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknathan View Post
Wow! What a response, thanks everyone.

We'd normally just go exploring, but we've got somewhere specific to be at a specific date and time, 10 days apart in Asheville and Hollywood, Florida. Looking forward to digging into some of these spots!

You guys are great!
Make sure you catch the drum circle on Friday nights in Asheville - way cool!