Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2004, 11:39 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Smile two wheels rule

>>How's motorcycle parking? Is it like in Texas- where a bike is considered the same as a car? Therefore must be in a designated parking spot?<<

Well, you can't park in a no-parking zone, but other than that almost anything goes. Motorcycles are a valid form of transportation here. In SF and Berkeley we often park them between parked cars - you should see downtown SF or UCB campus. Rows of bikes lined up at the curb. When I had an office in downtown SF I rode a couple of days a week and paid $3 for parking instead of $25. Same garage. Even cheaper on the street. And the icing on the cake - you are legally allowed to split lanes here (please don't try that right away - we also have a lot of um,,, variabilility in driver skills here also...)

You will also be living in close proximity to the finest motorcycling in the country, absolutely without peer. For reference see http://www.pashnit.com

-john (ST1100)
Old 05-26-2004, 05:03 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

I'm in for a treat...sorta...kinda?

*Mental Note:* "add reaction time training to exercise routine".

"Yeppers", that should about do it! After all this law and order in Texas on the streets and highways (Interstates excluded) i can see already, it's going to be back to "Houston Driving Rules" for me for awhile...somehow, in the next year or two a new mental reference point is comming to mind: Ahhh- "California Road Rules". Rule #1). There are no rules! Rule #2). Refer back to rule #1. End.

*Mental Note:* Alameda Tour with "pinkflamingos" -do lunch!

You're on! Looks like "Jerry's Kid's" are going to have to do with less from me this Memorial Day...as fast as i'm spending money in California. Thank God! it's on paper still. At least Motorcycle parking is less than a car...

I'm afraid to say it- but that 22' Int'l CCD is starting to look like the 16' Bambi CCD- and a visit to the shop to have the Air Lift air bags installed on the pick up to compensate for my fudgeing of the weight in the bed of the truck...A N D...a part time job to cover all my bases! I can see the insurance premiums now! How does it go? "Ka-ching!" (*Cash Register Sound*)

Before i commit myself to this line of thinking- What about vehicle emissions? Bringing Texas vehicles into California- The truck is a 2003, the Honda CBR 600 is a 2003- so emissions is Texas isn't considered. Then again we have refinerys, gas plants and all this industry making a mess here and there- so it has never "really" been an issue except in Harris County (Houston). Do i need Smog tests to register a vehicle? Or what?
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 11:32 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
The DMV will want to inspect your vehicles when you register them but there won't be a problem. I bought my ST from a guy in Utah and when I registered it we had to take off some of the body work to find the Engine # (not the VIN) but once that checked out all was good. On your truck, as long as it meets Federal emissions and is over 3 or 4 months old there is no issue. They may check it also for the Federal emissions tag under the hood.

john (ST1100)
Old 05-26-2004, 11:39 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Oh, as an aside, the DMV used to charge everyone registering an out of state vehicle an extra $300 if it did not have a CALIF emissions certification (tag) under the hood. That was found to be illegal, hence the newer policy of allowing out of state vehicles to be registered here, as long as they have actually been used out of state, not just bought there and brought in immediately to circumvent the tighter emissions regs we have. That's why they want to see some time and miles on it.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:11 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Thanks John...

You've just saved me a bunch of stress- i expect it will be fun...the DMV- they always are. I may pertend to be a tourist for awhile until a place can be found. I was reading elsewhere on this board about the costs associated with camp ground fees. Someone was mentioning something about $46.00 a night and there were other figures lower mentioned as well.

What are your observations? What fees have you seen?
Old 05-26-2004, 07:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
*Mental Note:* Alameda Tour with "pinkflamingos" -do lunch!

yeah!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:26 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
I mainly camp in state park campgrounds which are still reasonable - $15/nt, although most are going up on July 1st to about $20 due to the budget shortfall. I am on the Peninsula (west side of bay) and can be to awesome campgrounds on the beach or in the coast redwoods in about 45 min to an hour, but that probably isn't what you're looking for since you will need to be within a reasonable distance of Berkeley and State parks don't allow residence.

I will take a look on Google and CL later and see what can be found in the east bay that would be within a reasonable distance of Berkeley. I apologize for not knowing more about it - I mainly go over to Berkeley to eat - there is an incredible variety of dining available but that is another topic in itself...
Old 05-26-2004, 11:12 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Hi Marina,

I did a quick google search on "rv parks berkeley" and found several within 10-15 miles. As others mentioned, there is one in El Cerrito, one in El Sobrante and a couple in San Pablo, but I would probably avoid the San Pablo/Ricmond area. Perhaps those living in the east bay would know more. There are also a few out in the 680 corridor near Concord and Walnut Creek, a bit further east, which is accessible on Hwy 24 and may be a good compromise.

Not sure how far from Berkeley you want to be but an interesting alternative might be to look to the west in Marin County, across the 580 bridge, where there are some nice campgrounds and RV parks in a more woodsy setting, although they might also be fairly pricey, and that bridge can be a hassle sometimes. Excellent riding and close to the coast, though... try a search on Marin County for those.

Your best bet is to come up and look around. Bring the bike!

-john
Old 05-27-2004, 10:06 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Wink Southwest's CBR 600 RR Transportation Service

Try as i may- the major airlines do not seem to offer transportation for my bike! What's wrong with them? Short of an arial insert a' la' Laura Croft- i would need your lon. / lat. for such a dramatic "hello"...but alas- my contacts at the RAF have moved on- so the bike will have to wait and come with the remainder of my possessions...*sigh*.

My Google searches must be revealing the same data- but like you said- it best to come up and look around. So what's the problems on the 580? Traffic?

Something else that crossed my mind- An A/S from out of state- does that require yet another special Cali inspection? A friend of mine made mention about something to this effect...something about the number of "fuels" and "health"? When pressed- she furthered to include it was her experience years ago with a "home made trailer" or severely remodeled(?).
Surely, it will be at worst like the truck? An 04 / 05 with systems intact should get waived on- no?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:53 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
[QUOTE=Marina]

My Google searches must be revealing the same data- but like you said- it best to come up and look around. So what's the problems on the 580? Traffic?

580...80...980...280...traffic traffic traffic traffic OH construction during commute hours! and more traffic.

Check the DMV website about registering a trailer here in CA. We're hauling ours from Wisconsin and I got the info from there. www.dmv.ca.gov If I remember, it was no big deal, they want to weigh it and do a visual inspection of whatever. Is yours a motorhome or a tow trailer?

If you can't find what you need, let me know.

ingrid
Old 05-27-2004, 11:30 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Tentatively a trailer...

I was all ready to buy an 22' Int'l CCD, then started checking the numbers...they seemed to work, but the margin's made me uncomfortable. I'm sure they would work, but knowing how i travel (self sufficiently) it didn't jive.

So after a breif stint of looking at the Sprinter Westfalia (i still have the goose egg on my head from when i fainted), i feel comfortable with the 16' Bambi Int'l CCD, but alas- on another thread here i've seen photo's of the 2005 28' Int'l CCD and am now wondering if A/S will follow suit with the Bambi? If so- it seems it may be of a better design for my plans of "hi-tech" a' la' Jane Bond meets Tokyo motif...lol...

And now that it seems the better part of the SF Bay Area is nothing more than a rolling parking lot- i may just pitch a tent near my first class somewhere on the Berekley campus!

Thanks for the link- "pinkflamingoes" i'll follow it up in the A.M. It's past my bedtime here in the Central Time Zone...G'night & thanks!
Old 05-28-2004, 12:11 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina
So what's the problems on the 580? Traffic?
Local Tip: We up here in Northern California do not say "the" before the freeway number. That's strictly a Sounthern Cal thing.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:41 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Tenting on the campus?? that's been done. Seems to me the group finally got a vacant lot to move to, which was re-named People's Park. Berkeley at its finest.
No matter what anyone else says, find a place within walking or biking from campus. Parking in someone's drive seems the best. suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:12 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Wink I agree with you...

So let's just say for the sake of conversation, you have a house somewhere near Berekley...you have to pay high taxes, everything is expensive as all get out and here comes Marina...stranger to all- from a foreign land named Texas. Who constantly refers to highways as "the (whatever)" and is clearly out of place in Northeren California's ways and customs.

Something comes over you- you don't know what- but with the absence of your better judgement, you decide to rent "driveway" space to her...after all- she is a poor pitiful student just trying to get an education...never mind she looks like she near forty...anyway- you remain distracted by the motorcycle in the bed of her truck as she asks the price...you're aware time is passing...you're going to have to say something...it's geting awkward...and you say $______ a month.

So what did you say? We all know it could be anything- really! But what would a reasonable "guess" be on something so subjective? I alreadt have an idea...what would be your figure?
Old 05-28-2004, 03:26 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Marina, I agree that if you can live IN Berkeley it would be nice - the problem is that it is very crowded and finding a driveway to park a CAR is one thing, a trailer is another. And I have no idea about ordinances on trailers, I know they are restricted down at the marina and in municipal lots. That said, I think if you were in the area and able to look around and talk to people, you would eventually find something for a reasonable price, (maybe $3-500 per month?) including power and water, and their support in case a neighbor complains. You also have to think about how you will handle your tanks.

For comparison, studio apts near campus generally rent from $700-1200 with lease commitments. I would be wary of anyone who didn't give it careful thought and consideration, and be careful about renters looking to sublet the driveway space without the owners permission.

john
Old 05-28-2004, 04:00 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up My thoughts...exactly!

"Hi", Safari! This looks like a job for "Craigslist" *superhero voice* Seriously, from what i had seen at the city's website...not gonna happen. While the posability exists- it looks like a long shot. Admitedly, for self sufficient living with power- i was thinking $300.00, maybe that is a pipedream? One thing in my favour, i have been getting up for the better part of my life at 3A.M. so, maybe, just maybe a commute wouldn't be toooo bad.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:49 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
I *think* Alameda has no ordinance problems with letting someone park a trailer in their yard. I see them in people's driveways/yards all the time here.

If and when you post at craigslist, make sure you mention all the cities you're willing to live in: Alameda, Berkeley, San Leandro, the ones surrounding Cal, basically. Money is tight, everyone's feeling the pinch since the dot-com crash, I'm sure someone will answer with an offer to let you park your trailer in the yard/driveway and pay some utilities, and rent the space, say, 3-500 a month (just guessing). It would benefit them as well, because of the privacy, they'd hardly ever see you because your living space is separate from theirs.

Give it a shot!!

Alameda is flat and some of us have decent sized backyards, if the houses are older.

ingrid
Old 05-30-2004, 07:01 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up I'd like that!

Some place a little out of the way- away from the hussle and bustle of campus life and crazyness associated with it...i've lived in "Gated Communities" and in places where "Homeowners Associations" are the rule- but a balance between the two- some place homey, a place where children play and peope walk in the evenings is best.

I'm not looking to relive versions of "Animal House" or wear a white Tennis dress to "The Club" in the evening. Then again- having to learn how to contort my fingers or the local ebonics to get to the store is not my cup of tea either.

Thanks for the support "pinkflamingoes"- it came at a good time! I don't know how it's going to work out right now- but something is out there. BTW- your childrens pictures are precious!

I hope you and anyone else reading this has / had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend...and in the process have taken a moment to reflect upon those men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice to assure our albeit inperfect way of life- God Bless them- and their families.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:21 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Marina: our yard is big enough to store a trailer; but there's no way you could get it in there short of using a helicopter to drop it in; otherwise we'd take you! It would NOT be quiet though....kids everywhere.

I know this area like the back o' my hand, let me know if there's anything else I could do to help.

ingrid
Old 05-31-2004, 11:43 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Your suggestions are enough...thanks!

I've read and reread my post...and must admit, i've done a poor job of communicating in my word choice- my bad!

Please forgive what may have seemed like "inviting myself"...never my intent! Just a byproduct of either posting too early or too late...and burning the candle at both ends, which i've done too much of this last week.

Back now to the rest of my day of R&R- *sorry* :-)