Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
iPhone GPS

Anyone using an iPhone GPS Navigation App? I am trying to pick between the options and cannot find any reliable information. If you do use one and can share your insights it would be much appreciated.

I am primarily looking at the TomTom, Garmin and Navigon apps?

Thanks.
boutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I use my iPhone to get around simply by using the built in maps feature. Simply type in an address, or even a description and bingo you get a destination, a map to it and the miles you have to drive.

I must be missing something. I am one of those "out of it" types when it comes to technology.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
The iPhone maps is great for around town but when you get to where you really need it on long runs, someone will call you. Click on the little arrow in the bottom left corner on the maps that come with the iphone and it shows you where you are. I have a Garmin that mounts to the dash and works great.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I agree with Dan. I have an Android phone that has Google Navigation and Sprint Navigation on it, and it's great for ad hoc navigation but when I go on a trip I still put the trusty TomTom on the dash, so that I'm not dependent on cell phone data service and so that navigation won't get interrupted by incoming phone calls.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have an Android phone, and find the the GPS feature is better than our Garmin Nuvi 660. The phone does great vat finding campgrounds that aren't in Woodall's. The Gas Buddy app is super nfor finding the best price gas around.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
I'm in agreement with the others. iPhone does great for occasional use but I use a Garmin on the dash for most of my car navigation. The cost of gps has gone down so much that you can almost buy a dedicated GPS for the amount an ap would cost. The dedicated unit will be much better for navigation purposes. I have AllStays iExit, Camp & RV, and Interstate Diesel apps for travel use, along with a bookmark for Pilot/Flying J prices: Pilot Flying J - Complete Pricing List
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
We used both the Nav system in the Dodge and the iphone app that comes preloaded when we did the trip from Pa to Fl. Sometimes one would find things when the other wouldn't so having both was helpful. I like the feature on the Iphone that will link to your address book so you don't have to type in common places(like home or a friend's house). I also like the iphone feature to get the satellite image or hybrid. We used the Truckers app that gave us truck stop locations and diesel prices along the way- awesome app- it also gives locations of rest areas and other points of interest. Definitely a Must-have for the diesel owners..
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We use GPS Drive by MotionX on our IPhone. It works so well we gave our Garmin to the neighbor. Also use Campwhere and RestArea.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I use an older Garmin Street Pilot, a built in Pioneer system and my I phone.

I would never suggest using the I Phone as an aid to travel in the car because it would be far more dangerous that talking on it. The I Phone I use for overland navigation while Geocaching.

After 10 years of using different GPS unit I would find it very hard to suggest a single unit for others. There are just too many different factors, display type, means of notification, means of input, variables in options, and total memory. GPS units are much like a computer, because they are a computer, that each individual has to design their own based on needs, wants, and money.

Keep asking question of owners of different types.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
We have a sizable collection of GPS type products...

BlackBerrry Tour 9630, Iphone4, Droid 2, Nuvi, Delorme Earthmate PN-30 and LT-40(requires laptop and software pack).

I use the phones and PN-30 for slow speed applications, like walking or quick searches while sitting still. For over the road the LT-40 and the Nuvi get the workout. The biggest advantage to the LT-40/laptop combo is screen size and if you have internet connection you can get real time traffic info too.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
gas buddy app

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
....... The Gas Buddy app is super nfor finding the best price gas around.

Brian
Yes I love the gas buddy app! There is nothing worse than getiing a couple miles up the road right after filling up and finding gas $.10 cheaper.

:-)
Old 04-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I use a Rand McNally. Lifetime batteries and no cords to plug in and get tangled up with. Should come with a magnifying glass for the small print, but Oh, well.

But really, I trust the dedicated GPS's even though I am entertained by their missteps, ie. "Left turn ahead" on a Loooooong straightaway on a western Kansas highway. I still keep the paper map handy and refer to it frequently just to have the broad picture in my mind. I just can't help not fully trusting the point-point of the GPS's. I find it amazing that the GPS is as accurate as it is. Even with their occasional faults.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I use an older Garmin Street Pilot, a built in Pioneer system and my I phone.

I would never suggest using the I Phone as an aid to travel in the car because it would be far more dangerous that talking on it. The I Phone I use for overland navigation while Geocaching..
Dangerous??? My co-pilot does the navigation while I'm driving.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #14

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Motion X GPS Drive.
iphone app

Check out the ratings and reviews
It really is great...

Jane
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

I would never suggest using the I Phone as an aid to travel in the car because it would be far more dangerous that talking on it...
Just curious, how is the stand alone GPS any safer than a GPS app? I will stipulate that the iPhone should be on a mount when using a GPS app, not held or in your lap. The same applies to a stand alone GPS. Either way you need to have some mount.

I recently got the Navigon app, and it looks and behaves just like any of the stand alone GPS units I have used in the past. I hadn't chimed in because I really haven't used it all that long.

A few things I have noticed.

It does remember routes that you have taken vs its recommended routes and offer them as an alternative the next time you call up that saved route. For example, home to work or take me home from work. I have a preferred path that lets me avoid most traffic. After following that path, with Navigon wanting me to make several turns on the way to get back to the main roads of course, the path I prefer now shows up as an alternative. Nice feature that seems to work well. (OK, I really don't need a GPS to get to work after 15 years. )

When you arrive at your destination, Navigon tells you that you have arrived and that your destination is on the left or right. It would be nice if you could know on which side your destination is located earlier so you have time to get in the correct lane, but I guess you have a 50% chance.

When updating the app (just finished updating a few minutes ago) you need lots of free space on your iPhone. It will not install into the block of storage where the existing version resides. I installs and then removes the old version. Granted, it does retain its settings and any upgrades well. This morning I downloaded the 1.56 GB update. There was 1.6 GB free on my iPhone, but there was insufficient space to install the update. I had to remove my music to free-up space, install the update, and then re-download my music. Not a big deal, but an irritant nonetheless.

I do find that when I deviate from the route for some reason, Navigon recalculates the new route required quickly and accurately.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
So, I decided to go with the TomTom app. Gave it a trial run yesterday and it worked flawlessly. I tried to trick it multiple times and it was able to recalculate very quickly.

We are going on a trip soon and I will be putting it through it's paces so I will keep you updated. Thanks
boutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Agree with keeping the RandMcnally for backup- technology is great except when it isn't
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Macomb , Michigan
I have used the Navigon app with the iPhone 4. I use it nearly everyday and it has performed great with lots of options. Read the reviews and make a choice. My experience has been great with the app.
BrianDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #19
What's a rivet?

2008 23' International CCD
Napa , California
I have found the GPS Drive by Motio X has worked great here in Northern Ca..
SilverBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Get the MapQuest App for your iPhone, it is free and it gives you verbal turn-by-turn directions. I travel out-of-state for work and haven't been lost yet.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote