Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
The bottom line is what you want the trailer to be. If you want a museum piece, then for goodness sake keep it inside and take no risks whatever. If you want a travel trailer, quit worrying and travel.

I had that same conversation with myself a couple of summers ago, and decided it's a travel trailer, although I'm also proud that it's over 50 and still on the road.

Also, as was said above, the northern states have very little large hail compared to what we get here in Texas. Look at the statistics and make an informed decision. Then, keep up with the forecast as you travel and move along or delay a while as necessary to avoid the active storm tracks.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Keeping an eye on the weather is always good advice. We check the weather on the computer constantly, and more than once have changed travel plans because of what we saw. Generally, hail storms track SW to NE, so hooking up and driving 50 miles north or south for a few hours may give you a bit more mental peace.

Even if hail isn't predicted, if strong winds are in the forecast, you might consider any trees near you. Several years ago we sat out a strong thunderstorm in our mpg. When it was over we went outside and discovered a branch that was at least 12" in diameter had fallen out of a tree in the next site. No one was there, so no rv damage, but we had considered that site. Glad we took the one we did.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:36 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamsCruiser View Post
Hi,
We really want to take our 53 Airstream Cruiser to the Great Lakes area for an extended trip. Would like to travel East from Washington State and spend 4-6 weeks touring Lake Superior and Lake Michigan and all the surrounding area. My partner also has family he would like to visit. The ideal time to go is late May to the end of June. However, this time of year is also hail and tornado weather. ...
I lived in Houghton Michigan (Keewenaw Peninsula) for four years, and my experience was that the ice thawed from the inland lakes at the end of May and the beginning of June. The Great Lakes were open, but cold.

The area between Washington State and Minnesota might be ok but the prime time is really probably Jun-August with great color in the maple trees in September (leaves were often down in October, and could all fall overnight with a single storem) . I don't recall hail storms in May/June, since it was more likely to snow then.

Anyway, you might do some Internet surfing looking at average temperatures and rain/snowfall for those early dates you are looking at...

Good luck on your trip.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:34 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Anytime

We live here in Pure Michigan. We also have a very rare vintage Airstream. We travel all over the state from April thru November. We don't worry about the weather, except SNOW & ICE. The best time to visit is anytime. The best months for camping in the MI State Parks are before school gets out for the Summer and after they start back up. August is always the hottest, but each season has something special to offer.
Regards,
StevieB
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:24 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Elk River , Minnesota
I think the further north you go, the less you have to worry about. We live in Central Minnesota and have parked our Airstream (and a car or two) outside during the summer for years, and have never had hail damage. While this area has had the occasional tornado, it’s southern MN and the southern states who get more of them.
tpfleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
Our used 2004 Safari came with hail dimples and a crease in the rear driver’s side panel (the AS dealer would have fixed it for $3,000 — no thanks). None of this bothers us at all, and in fact it made popping one of the top rear running lights on a freak tree a lot easier to take.
StreaminGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I bring a DVD of “twister” and we watch it in the trailer during storms.
Hilarious!
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Richland , Washington
Smile Traveling in Stormy weather in the Mid West

Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I had looked up the data on storms (tornados/hail) in the Great Lakes area and it ranked the highest incidences in June, July, May and then August. We went ahead and made other travel plans for June and are planning on heading out for the Great Lakes the first part of August and returning mid-September timeframe. No matter the weather it will be a great trip! Last year we traveled around Utah for 5 weeks and then to the Redwoods for a couple of weeks. Utah is an Absolutely Gorgeous State and the Redwoods are incredibly beautiful. Happy travels to everyone and maybe we will see you on the road or a campsite some time.
PamsCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I live in ohio and we seldom get hail like you are anticipating! In fact in my 65 years I’ve never seen hail larger than pea size. Come to the Midwest with no fears. Just don’t go to Texas!!![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:17 AM   #30

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Ledge , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamsCruiser View Post
Hi,
We really want to take our 53 Airstream Cruiser to the Great Lakes area for an extended trip. Would like to travel East from Washington State and spend 4-6 weeks touring Lake Superior and Lake Michigan and all the surrounding area. My partner also has family he would like to visit. The ideal time to go is late May to the end of June. However, this time of year is also hail and tornado weather. How do people travel in the mid west states and protect their trailers from damage? We would be heartbroken if our trailer were to be damaged. If your parked in a camp site and a storm comes up it pretty hard to move to a safe location. Our other option is to go in August, but that's when its the hottest. I welcome your thoughts and experience traveling in the Mid West. Thank you.

Having lived in Michigan all my life as a troll,(south of the bridge) I personally would not go north of the bridge until mid July. Mosquitos and black flies. Go early or late. That’s how we do it.
RSeaman
rseaman is offline   Reply With Quote