Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2019, 09:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
High Winds forecast in IL and Mo

They are forecasting wind gusts of 55+ mph in IL and MO tomorrow. I was going to start driving Southwest with my trailer... Hmmmm. At what wind mph level do fellow Airstreamers stay off the road?
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Personally, if it’s gusting crosswind at about 45 or headwinds around that, I park it and wait it out. Snow and ice also means park it.

I like travel, but there is no need to attempt to validate or prove my manhood by traveling into known danger any more.

Did that in the military, but I’m no longer in that specific business.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt.reyesfan View Post
They are forecasting wind gusts of 55+ mph in IL and MO tomorrow. I was going to start driving Southwest with my trailer... Hmmmm. At what wind mph level do fellow Airstreamers stay off the road?
Trust your gut.

If it does not feel right to travel, just sit tight and wait out the weather.

We are all headed for the same final destination, but there is no rush to get there!

Happy trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
We got socked here in Colorado yesterday. 40 to 60 mph winds with gusts of 97 mph recorded at the Colorado Springs airport. And, we got 15 inches of snow where we live which created some 4 to 6 foot drifts. Hundreds were stranded in there cars into the evening. The governor called out the National Guard to help the stranded motorists. The roads here are still closed this morning and probably will be most of the day.

It is headed your way. Do not go out on the road in these winds!!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
We left Washington Mo on Monday and after 2 days in Cave Spring, Ar (Bentonville area) left for OkCity...all days were very windy. Not sure of the level but very windy for sure.

This a.m. on hwy 412 to Tulsa they were very strong cross winds. The equalizer set-up performed well and I never felt it was too strong or not in control.

However if we ever got to that point i would find a park/place to park and await calmer weather.
B
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
What if you decide to stay put? My trailer has survived 93 knot or higher winds on two occasions. A weather station anemometer located 25 feet away was destroyed by the high winds at some greater wind speed. In this case my trailer remained upright while a box trailer three spaces away turnover on a stored boat. In the other case the wind speed was undetermined, but it shook my trailer and tow vehicle severely. All I did to prepare for this was to extend the stabilizers, tongue jack and chock the wheels. In the first case I took no preventive action except to chock the wheels. You just have to do the best you can with in the severe weather warning window that you have.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I will not have the wind, but will be watching for flooding as I head home from Texas to Iowa. Will be on 55 along the Mississippi and the flood is cresting in the
Quad cities on Sunday so will e running into it. I should make it close to home before problems. The crest will be 18.5, but in 3 weeks, will have a second crest projected at 23.5 which will be a NEW record.
Mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:19 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
FWIW, I've towed many times where I've come in contact with 50mph winds at various angles. Worst are headwinds due to significant drop in MPG, from an already dismal 11mpg (gasser). Tail winds are pretty good, I can get near what a diesel can get towing (15mpg).

Sidewinds, are noticeable, but with a proper hitch setup and decent wheelbase, the winds really only gave me a few pushes here and there on a recent road trip with a couple of SOBs, one a 30' trailer, the other a 31' class C. I found also having more water in the fresh tank that is parked above the axles on the trailer make for an even more stable tow in general and moreso in higher than normal winds.

Anyway, twenty minutes into the winds on the last trip, I'm told the boxy RVs are going 45 mph with ample white knuckle driving as they are getting pushed all over the interstate, as I look back they are miles behind. We had nowhere near that exp, and I attribute that mostly to the rounded edges of the Airstream.

Looking at your info, you are towing a 30' with a 3500hd. I think that wheelbase is even longer than mine (as is your trailer). Your results may vary, but I would not be concerned with that setup in 50mph winds. I'd be more concerned about the semis and other travelers on the road with not as great of a rig getting pushed into you.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:05 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
We are planning a trip out west in less than a month and this thread is an eye opener. We don't like traveling in high winds so we would be stopping when necessary. 45 mph sustained winds is no place I want to be driving in. I would say 15 to 20 sustained and 30 mph gust will make me pull over.
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
We are use to sustained winds of 15 to 25 mph here in eastern Colorado on the front range. It is okay (not good, but okay) if from the front or rear. Cross wind are the problem. It all depends on your rig, your total weight, your weight distribution, your hitch set-up, etc. whether it is time to pull over or just slow down. We usually slow down until the rig feels comfortable or we pull over if we cannot slow down enough to feel safe. If it beyond your comfort zone, just pull off and take a break.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Gus...good advice.

As Always since all rigs and tt are different...proceed with caution and know your rigs driving/wind charactics. We're all different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
What if you decide to stay put? My trailer has survived 93 knot or higher winds on two occasions. A weather station anemometer located 25 feet away was destroyed by the high winds at some greater wind speed. In this case my trailer remained upright while a box trailer three spaces away turnover on a stored boat. In the other case the wind speed was undetermined, but it shook my trailer and tow vehicle severely. All I did to prepare for this was to extend the stabilizers, tongue jack and chock the wheels. In the first case I took no preventive action except to chock the wheels. You just have to do the best you can with in the severe weather warning window that you have.
guskmg
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote