Old 12-31-2015, 10:56 AM   #15
2013 22' FB Sport
Winter Park , Colorado
You are my hero for today! We all hope to be active and on the move at 80.

With that said, I have friends in their 70s who went through a trial-by-fire of sorts. During a camping trip to Yellowstone a few years ago, he suddenly went completely blind (as in a matter of hours). She had never pulled the trailer before the moment she found herself driving home during a medical emergency.

I encourage everyone to get their other half to learn how to tow their trailer. None of us ever knows when the moment will come, so just have a little prep work done ahead of time.

As for the blind friend, he had a pituitary tumor that had grown enough to impinge on the optic nerve. After surgery to remove the tumor, the vision was fully restored.

Tsmith.wp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:59 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
My Grandfather was towing his until 95, that's when the State (CA) would not renew his driver license. He was from Scotland and travel to every state in the USA and all of Canada, and my GM pass 1 month from 100,she was from Iceland.

He was hoping to get another year or two, live until 98.

So, set your sights on that.

David & Nancy Ames
WBCCI # 9403 -- AIR # 95597
2015 FC 25' RB
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:01 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho

Foolish??? Only if you let it site there and not use it. Safe travels to made each one of us smile today, and we all wish you safe travels. And, who knows, when all is said and done, maybe you CAN take it with you...after all, its an AS. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:05 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
no, adventurous not foolish

I have met so many wonderful 80, 90 year olds who still travel extensively and several single women in that age group who are still on the move.
It seems to me, that it is when you for-go doing adventurous things that you begin to loose your spirit. It is the adventure of life that keeps you living to the fullest.
"Honor those who serve by listening to them and caring. Parades end, caring needs to be there every day."
slpiotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:15 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member
2000 25' Excella
fallbrook , California

Turned 80 on Oct 1st. Have three trips planed for 2016. Don't plan on my wife doing anything outside or driving. We generally travel with others and can always get a helping hand. I don't think we would take an extensive trip on our own at this point. Tow of our kids ( in 50s) have trailers and they can be a big help if needed. Bruce
bruceganoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:17 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Good luck to you! You're an inspiration to all.

I do have some friends who are still windsurfing in their 80's, and the guy who taught me how to sail small boats continued to sail until hi mid 90's--he gave it up at 94!

In the meantime, it would be neat to get your wife onto the forums so she can talk to all the other women who are very comfortable towing their rigs. Maybe she can even meet up with some who are local to you, and go drive with them (without you!). I find that many women learn better from other women (they may be more comfortable with the dynamic.) And if you can find towing classes in your area, that's something that you could both do together--the key is to have someone other than you as the instructor, to make her feel more comfortable.

This could both extend the years that you can be on the road, as well as make each day's driving more comfortable. My wife handles the rig superbly, and we trade off all the time--I drive mornings, and she drives afternoons. Makes it way more fun!

Have fun--and good luck with all of your new adventures!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:29 AM   #21
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
No worries, I bought my unit from an 89 year old, single gentlemen who was "talked" into selling his rig by his retired sons who thought it was time for him to quit. I wasn't convinced he was incapable; he seemed sharp as a tack and spent 5 hours 'educating' me as part of the hand over. I guess he was merely capitulating to the endless chatter about it being "unsafe" to be away from family so often!
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:34 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hey, my Dad just turned 96 and passed his driver test! Doesn't tow, but still gets around town. As long as you're feeling confident....git 'er done!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:41 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member
1999 31' Land Yacht
Kingston , Washington
Age? Not a worry if you're sensible about it. While pretty new to the RV life it's a life that keeps unfolding. We started three years ago with a KZ 14' ultra light trailer towed by a 2009 RAV 6 cyl. Put 8,000 miles on it one trip. Now driving a 1999 30' (31'?) AS motorhome Land Yacht (no more knocking down the dinette every night to make up the bed) and planning a trip this Spring to Southern California, the SW, TN, NE, and back to Seattle. Age means a little more time get up from connecting the sewage hoses and checking the power levelers, but what's a few addition minutes? By the way, my wife is ten years my junior and I turn 83 in three weeks.
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:01 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member
2016 28' Flying Cloud
Kennesaw , Georgia
Richard - I applaud you decision and it looks like everyone on the Forums agrees. One thing I will offer that no one mentioned is that camping is enhanced with physical fitness, even in the luxury of an AS. At 68, I stay in shape with regular visits to the gym just to "stay tuned". I find that climbing into my truck bed, moving generators, air compressor, plastic containers filled with supplies all go easier with strength and balance, not to mention hiking and biking at places we visit. The older we get the easier it is to fall out of shape. Just thought I'd mention this so you get a generous return on your AS investment. Have fun!
dugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:16 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member
2006 30' Classic
1966 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Dover , Delaware
On our first caravan we met a couple, he was 89 and she was 90. They were towing a 34 foot Airstream with a full-size van. He handled everything by himself and never need any help. He had no problem backing backing into a campsite or hooking up.
I think how long someone that can tow a trailer is different with each person. Each one of us is responsible to determine when we should quit towing.
helwigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:21 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
I have known two guys in their early 90's who towed airstreams. Others in their upper 80's.

On our recent caravan to Newfoundland we had several in their early 80's. The older guy pulls a 34' and has signed up for Alaska next. My father towed until his mid-eighties.

I am only 73 but agree with an earler post - it would be foolish not to do it. We need to store up some good memories for our later years!

SkyMed member
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #27
2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Originally Posted by whitegs View Post
In another post, I documented my recent purchase of a brand new 2017 FC 28 and a brand new F150 eco-boost to tow it. What I didn't mention is that I celebrated my 80th birthday on October 31. So here's the question: How many people in their ninth decade are still driving around towing an AS? Even if I can do it today, how many more years of towing do I have in me? Of course no one can answer that question.
My wonderful wife who is ten years younger than me doesn't feel all that comfortable driving the truck and she hasn't experienced driving while towing. I doubt she will feel comfortable being responsible for hooking up, parking, unhooking, leveling etc.
So as the title of the message asks, do y'all feel I've made a foolish choice at this point in my life?

I'm 75, and I have just traded a 2015 25' FC, for a 2016 30' FC. 'cause I needed more storage space and room, AND that 'East-West' bed in the 25'er was the ' idiotic' pits.
I figure that I have another 5 or 10 years of RVing in me. My wife says that after two more years, she's done with RVing. She only comes with me for the ride, not interested in towing it, or even driving my new Ford F-150. Ecoboost.
After many years of very active life, and work, my health is not 100% anymore, (heart problems) and so I can say: "YUP"!
It's a bit of work managing an RV and is your physiology up to it?
I would thing more than twice about this move.
MelGoddard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:29 PM   #28
Stay CazuaL
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Thumbs up

Reading your title, I almost said "yes". Anyone asking if they did something foolish is likely have done something foolish. I am 38 now, and got my AS two years ago. When I am, I hope to be your age, I hope I can still do what you are doing.

In all fairness, you have to be honest with your ability so that you do not endanger yourself or others.

Good luck!

cazual6 is online now   Reply With Quote