Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Great Smokey Mountain National Park

We are thinking about visiting the "Smokey" area in the summer. We have a 27 ft. AS with a 21 ft. Ram TV. Looking for suggestions: 1. good campgrounds (level with full hookups); 2. good day hikes from moderate to strenuous (we like views); 3. interesting historic sites; 4. any other must sees in the area.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
If you have never traveled the Skyline Parkway and Blue Ridge Parkway, it would be a good time to do so. The Blue Ridge ends at the Smokey entrance on the NC side.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
This is a nice spot in Townsend.....the quiet side of the Smokies. Just 15 minutes to Cades Cove or about 30 minutes to Gatlinburg. You can use it as a base camp and explore from there.

TREMONTCAMP.COM
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We had a great time in the Smokey's during the fall and did some great hikes. Let me recommend you pick up a small pocket book: $8 well spent: Best Easy Day Hikes Great Smoky Mountains National Park (Best Easy Day Hikes Series): Randy Johnson: 9780762748365: Amazon.com: Books

It's the book we referenced.

Grotto falls was a nice challenging yet moderate hike:

Clingmans dome is also a good one with amazing views but you need to go early because of weather.

We are returning in May and considering staying here: Creekside Cabins In Cherokee NC - Campgrounds In Cherokee NC
Old 03-07-2015, 03:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A beautiful place.

Be sure to drive Cades Cove.

Maggie
Old 03-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
This is the park that has synchronous flashing fireflies, they start out randomly and the synchronize. Awesome sight. June would be the best month to see them, but they post dates and have a bus to where they are. BUCKET LIST!
Tour Park Detail - FIREFLY EVENT, Tennessee - Recreation.gov
Leonie
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
CLARKSVILLE , Tennessee
Wanderer, try the Alum Cave Bluff trail 5 mile round trip hike if you want a hike with a view. It's located half way up Hwy 441 (Newfound Gap road) and has spectacular views near the Bluff. The trails also goes up another 2 1/2 miles past the bluff to Mount Le Conte Lodge for those who have reservations to stay over the night.
Camper Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygrrl View Post
This is the park that has synchronous flashing fireflies, they start out randomly and the synchronize. Awesome sight. June would be the best month to see them, but they post dates and have a bus to where they are. BUCKET LIST!
Tour Park Detail - FIREFLY EVENT, Tennessee - Recreation.gov
Leonie

This sounds like an absolute bucket list!! Thank you for sharing! My granddaughter would LOVE to see this!

Laura & Tom
Old 03-07-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Great Smoky Mountains

Hi,
The Great Smoky Mountains Railroad is a lot of fun. It is a relaxing way to see some beautiful mountain scenery.
Great Smoky Mountain Railroad
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
The "Smokey" area is a pretty wide swath, with LOTS of opportunities for hiking and exploring. Your request for full hookups will limit many of your camping locations to more private campgrounds, which is not bad, but you lose some exceptional locations (lie Elkmont by way of example).

One area I might recommend would be the Asheville (NC) area. Or Damascus (VA) area and the AT (Appalachian Trail) and the VA Creeper. Or the VA Highlands (Airstream) campground near Floyd, VA. Or...
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Longmont , Colorado
This is such a perfect thread for us...we are hoping to be there in September, and all of this information is so very helpful. Thank you in advance for all of this information.
SunniStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:49 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
If you want to stay in absolutely the finest campground in the Smokies, it has to be Twin Creek in Gatlinburg. It has been rated 10-10-10 for many years. It is the cleanest, best kept campground you can find. It is a family run campground and the owners live on site. They don't allow any shenanigans, therefore it is a nice quite family campground. They have a trolly stop, so you don't even have to drive if you don't want to. There is a very nice Food City across the street. All roads and sites are paved with concrete patios. You need to make reservations in season, they usually stay full, it is not a large CG. Heated pool and hot tub that are spotless just like the bath house. Tell Mary that The Duke sent you, she will get a kick. CG is only about five miles from National Park entrance. Close to all the best eating places. It's not the least expensive but the best never is. Is it?
Old 03-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
I am thrilled to hear about the campground in Gatlinburg Duke! Looks nice! We stayed at Tremont around Townsend last year. Had a spot on the creek and it was very nice, but there were walnut trees EVERYWHERE and they were dropping their "nuts". When they hit they make a mess and would wake us up during the middle of the night!

Laura & Tom
Old 03-08-2015, 07:40 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
I stayed at Riveredge in Gatlinburg last summer and it was also very nice. Lake Powhaton is a great campground near Ashevile, NC if you go that direction. There is plenty to do and see every direction - whether you want beautiful scenery and nature or cheesy tourist attractions. Just be prepared for traffic and crowds in summer.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Longmont , Colorado
Thanks so much...great to know!
SunniStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #16
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
I like the Cherokee side of the Smokies. Much quieter, not as commercial. The heritage of the Cherokee nation is aptly told at various spots, and the museum is highly recommended. It is on our list for the next trip, didn't get to see it as we had no place to keep our dog out of the heat (this was our pop- up days). The campgrounds here had most all one could want - level sites, hookups, swimming, fishing, hiking, close to the park.

Tom
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax gal View Post
I am thrilled to hear about the campground in Gatlinburg Duke! Looks nice! We stayed at Tremont around Townsend last year. Had a spot on the creek and it was very nice, but there were walnut trees EVERYWHERE and they were dropping their "nuts". When they hit they make a mess and would wake us up during the middle of the night!

Laura & Tom
Hey Gal, I promise you won't be disappointed! They have cable tv with something like 100 channels. Some spots are shaded and others in the new section are open. That's where I like to stay, trees are to messy. Some are pull-thru and others are back in. They have two creeks that join on their property. That's where the name comes from. Kids can play in them and fish. Playground for the kids. Sometimes a deer or bear even makes a visit. Top notch, no tents allowed.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:41 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Thank you all so much for your wonderful recommendations. Keep them coming. I'm transferring them into my "must do" files.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Sounds great Duke! On my saved campground list! I love the Smokies!!

Laura & Tom
Old 03-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
We stayed in the Smokey's last May prior to our trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway and enjoyed it immensely. Our blog, the Barefootdog.com, documents our travels. Click here for the posting starting out at Cades Cove.
Barefootdog is offline   Reply With Quote