Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnished View Post
Crossed a couple of days ago from Calais to St Stephens.
Do not bring firearms or booze! No firearms but a friend asked me to stop
In NH and get some scotch and Beefeaters for him. Sure no problem. Ha!
Reported I had 2 1.5 L bots of booze. Pulled over. They searched the TV and trailer? 1.5 hrs later they said we can't find the booze!!!! You dopes , it's in the
Cabinet right here. An extra 78 bucks. But still cheaper then if it had been bought in Canada. Whatever happened to free trade?
Gas works out to 5.20/gal mid grade. Guess that free health care isn't so free. While cruisingg across NB I was listening to a radio station. They were talking about the wait, from 1 to 2 yrs for a hip replacement!!! And if you move to a different province in the meantime the process starts all over again.
I'm throughly enjoying my stay at Bayside RV on PEI, Lenard is great and the accomodations for air streamers are wonderful. Just getting across the border sucked.
Paul
I don't think anyone was asking for political commentary, just camping recommendations.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I have stayed at the KOA and it was ok but pricey. I drove past there a few weeks ago and noticed it was loaded, side by side, with big fivers. I will be staying at Happy Land in a few weeks only because it is on a direct root to where I have to go in Thunder Bay. My preference would be to stay at the Provincial Park, since they are normally really nice parks with a bit of green space between you and your neighbour. Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park, best bet. (Don't miss the Terry Fox monument) Jim
Old 08-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Paul Shaffer?. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswelsh View Post

We were interested in the Provincial Park by Kekabeka Falls, Chippewa Park, Happy Land or the Thunder Bay KOA. What are the best attractions for a short stay? Thanks again!
This is just personal preference, but given the choice we will almost always stay at a Provincial or State Park vs a private campground. You won't find full hookups, but the sites tend to be large and private, the showers clean and the rates more than reasonable.

You can book online here: https://reservations.ontarioparks.com/

Reservations are highly recommended, as Parks fill up quickly. We just booked a getaway for Canadian Thanksgiving and were lucky to get a spot in a Park on Lake Ontario.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
When we are in Thunder Bay we will use either Kakabeka Falls or the KOA - but both for different reasons.

If "camping" is a major part of our reason for being in the area then Kakabeka Falls is it - in fact - the family has started to develop a bit of a ritual by spending our Thanksgiving weekend at Kakabeka.

If Thunder Bay is simply a stop-over to visit family or do a bit of shopping then we will use the KOA - it is a bit closer to the city and the full hook-ups are a welcome treat - but in this situation we really don't spend a lot of time at the trailer. The KOA is good for kids - playground is central, the pool is well used and they often have organized activities. One drawback is its location - it is right beside a fairly significant hill on the Trans Canada - meaning that when a tractor-trailer descends the hill at 2AM using its jake brakes then you are gonna know it .....

Haven't stayed at Chippewa Park in a very long time - it had become underused and quite tired - but the city has spent a whack of money upgrading and redeveloping it and I understand it is greatly improved.

Never been into Happy Land - and have rarely seen trailers entering or leaving it - from the highway it looks more like a mobile home park.

Sleeping Giant - as already mentioned - is a great spot - if you are into hiking at all it has some great trails with lots of scenery - and a walk down the waterfront avenue in Silver Islet is like a walk back through time (unfortunately I hear the old store is closed this year). To go to Thunder Bay and not visit Sleeping Giant is to miss a lot - and don't forget a day trip to Ouimet Canyon (no camping).

Have a great trip.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Enjoy your trip to Canada, as others have said you may find things a bit more difficult crossing back into the USA. I can't recommend Provincial Parks in Ontario highly enough. They lack the full hookups but for everything else they are excellent.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
We are not planning on bringing any firearms across the border. We may however like to bring a bottle of wine and some frozen fruit for smoothies. Any problems with these items?
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Please check here this should answer your questions
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifvc-rpvc-eng.html

Safe travels!
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #29
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I always like to stop in at the duty-free whenever I am crossing - both directions. I've never had any troubles bringing reasonable amounts of drinking pleasure.

We did lose a nice piece of prime Alberta beef to the US folks at Chief Mountain a few years ago.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post

We did lose a nice piece of prime Alberta beef to the US folks at Chief Mountain a few years ago.

Pat
Sorry to hear that Pat! We do have some of the best beef in the world here!
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I think the border guard needed something for his BBQ...
Old 08-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I don't think they allow tow vehicles larger than minivans into their country.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
I don't think they allow tow vehicles larger than minivans into their country.
What's the point of your comment? Are you trying to live up to a stereotype?
Old 08-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
All in clean fun.When you lose the ability to laugh you have lost everything.I have a place on the Canadian border and spend all the time I can there.They do joke and poke fun with each other up there I have seen it for myself.....
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
crystal lake , Illinois
We just came back from there this week. We make the trip to Canada often, ( hubby is Canadian) you need passports, proof of rabies vaccines for each dog. No fruits to veggies at all, store bought meats are fine. There are so many nice farm stands on the sides of the road in Canada, you don't want to bother bringing your own anyway. One Case or bottle of alcohol per adult, on the way to Canada. You can buy more than on the way back to the US, but be prepared to pay duty on the extras. Also, coming into the US now there is an RV lane make sure you are in it. They will usually look inside (for people) leaving Canada.
Now for the fun part, you must try Swiss Chalet for the chicken sandwich ( with gravy) it's amazing! At a local grocery store buy some pea meal sausages and grill them...again amazing! The food is often better in Canada, less preservatives in food and high fructose is illegal there... Hickory sticks, smokey bacon, and ketchup chips are a must try.. As well as Sleeman Cream Ale beer and Kokanee if you can find them! Have a great trip.
Doglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
crystal lake , Illinois
And you can take 2 bottles of wine if there are 2 adults..and frozen fruit is not a problem. Just declare the wine when they ask, as long as they know it's for you and not a gift you should be fine.
Doglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
All in clean fun.When you lose the ability to laugh you have lost everything.I have a place on the Canadian border and spend all the time I can there.They do joke and poke fun with each other up there I have seen it for myself.....
Sorry to get my hackles up, but there as been a trend on this forum by some Americans to make jabs about Canadians and our choices of tow vehicles at every opportunity. It gets old after a while.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doglady View Post
.. As well as Sleeman Cream Ale beer and Kokanee if you can find them! Have a great trip.
Better yet, try the local microbrews that can be found in virtually every region you might travel through. Craft breweries are producing some great stuff. And if you're in any of the wine producing regions, be sure to check out the local vineyards and sample the local wines.