Old 08-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, pretty much everything has been covered. Don't bring excessive amounts of money. No guns or pepper spray, but you can bring Bear Spray. On our Alaska trip we made seven border crossings. The questions are similar, but somewhat different at each stop. Only answer what you are asked. [and be nice]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
Holy smoke Andy - not to hijack this thread but that statement can't go unchallenged.
Not only is Thunder Bay a great place to visit as part of a regional holiday - it is a great place to live as well.

Jay
Fair enough and apologies - last time I was there was about five years ago and the downtown had more empty storefronts than looked healthy. We were having a coffee and got accosted a couple of times by drunks within the 20 minutes it took us to finish it.

Maybe that kind of tainted the experience - I take your word for it that things are on the up. I did like both the airport and the university. Oh, and nice people most everywhere.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Fair enough and apologies - last time I was there was about five years ago and the downtown had more empty storefronts than looked healthy. We were having a coffee and got accosted a couple of times by drunks within the 20 minutes it took us to finish it.

Maybe that kind of tainted the experience - I take your word for it that things are on the up. I did like both the airport and the university. Oh, and nice people most everywhere.
No apology necessary - your experience serves to underscore the importance of first impressions and when that gets trashed it paints a damaging picture of the entire community. Unfortunately, like any larger urban centre, Thunder Bay does have its seedier locations and, by your description you may have been in one of them - thankfully - this is not the norm.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
... DO NOT BRING ANY FIREARMS IN TO OUR COUNTRY ...
Several years ago, a couple in our club making the summer trip to Alaska properly left their firearm at home. Arriving at the Canadian border crossing, they were able to answer the questions truthfully, but completely forgot about a box of shells visible on a shelf in their motorhome. They eventually were allowed to proceed after that prompted a lengthy and extensive search. If you own one, remember to leave all the accessories at home also. It might save you and your hosts a lot of time and make the crossing a cordial experience.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Thank you all for your responses to my questions. I know for sure we will NOT be traveling with a firearm

Has anyone ever stayed at any of the local campgrounds near Thunder Bay? I'd love recommendations please.

We were interested in the Provincial Park by Kekabeka Falls, Chippewa Park, Happy Land or the Thunder Bay KOA. What are the best attractions for a short stay? Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
Crossed a couple of days ago from Calais to St Stephens.
Do not bring firearms or booze! No firearms but a friend asked me to stop
In NH and get some scotch and Beefeaters for him. Sure no problem. Ha!
Reported I had 2 1.5 L bots of booze. Pulled over. They searched the TV and trailer? 1.5 hrs later they said we can't find the booze!!!! You dopes , it's in the
Cabinet right here. An extra 78 bucks. But still cheaper then if it had been bought in Canada. Whatever happened to free trade?
Gas works out to 5.20/gal mid grade. Guess that free health care isn't so free. While cruisingg across NB I was listening to a radio station. They were talking about the wait, from 1 to 2 yrs for a hip replacement!!! And if you move to a different province in the meantime the process starts all over again.
I'm throughly enjoying my stay at Bayside RV on PEI, Lenard is great and the accomodations for air streamers are wonderful. Just getting across the border sucked.
Paul
Old 08-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnished View Post
Crossed a couple of days ago from Calais to St Stephens.
Do not bring firearms or booze! No firearms but a friend asked me to stop
In NH and get some scotch and Beefeaters for him. Sure no problem. Ha!
Reported I had 2 1.5 L bots of booze. Pulled over. They searched the TV and trailer? 1.5 hrs later they said we can't find the booze!!!! You dopes , it's in the
Cabinet right here. An extra 78 bucks. But still cheaper then if it had been bought in Canada. Whatever happened to free trade?
Gas works out to 5.20/gal mid grade. Guess that free health care isn't so free. While cruisingg across NB I was listening to a radio station. They were talking about the wait, from 1 to 2 yrs for a hip replacement!!! And if you move to a different province in the meantime the process starts all over again.
I'm throughly enjoying my stay at Bayside RV on PEI, Lenard is great and the accomodations for air streamers are wonderful. Just getting across the border sucked.
Paul
I don't think anyone was asking for political commentary, just camping recommendations.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I have stayed at the KOA and it was ok but pricey. I drove past there a few weeks ago and noticed it was loaded, side by side, with big fivers. I will be staying at Happy Land in a few weeks only because it is on a direct root to where I have to go in Thunder Bay. My preference would be to stay at the Provincial Park, since they are normally really nice parks with a bit of green space between you and your neighbour. Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park, best bet. (Don't miss the Terry Fox monument) Jim
Old 08-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Paul Shaffer?. Jim
Old 08-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswelsh View Post

We were interested in the Provincial Park by Kekabeka Falls, Chippewa Park, Happy Land or the Thunder Bay KOA. What are the best attractions for a short stay? Thanks again!
This is just personal preference, but given the choice we will almost always stay at a Provincial or State Park vs a private campground. You won't find full hookups, but the sites tend to be large and private, the showers clean and the rates more than reasonable.

You can book online here: https://reservations.ontarioparks.com/

Reservations are highly recommended, as Parks fill up quickly. We just booked a getaway for Canadian Thanksgiving and were lucky to get a spot in a Park on Lake Ontario.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
When we are in Thunder Bay we will use either Kakabeka Falls or the KOA - but both for different reasons.

If "camping" is a major part of our reason for being in the area then Kakabeka Falls is it - in fact - the family has started to develop a bit of a ritual by spending our Thanksgiving weekend at Kakabeka.

If Thunder Bay is simply a stop-over to visit family or do a bit of shopping then we will use the KOA - it is a bit closer to the city and the full hook-ups are a welcome treat - but in this situation we really don't spend a lot of time at the trailer. The KOA is good for kids - playground is central, the pool is well used and they often have organized activities. One drawback is its location - it is right beside a fairly significant hill on the Trans Canada - meaning that when a tractor-trailer descends the hill at 2AM using its jake brakes then you are gonna know it .....

Haven't stayed at Chippewa Park in a very long time - it had become underused and quite tired - but the city has spent a whack of money upgrading and redeveloping it and I understand it is greatly improved.

Never been into Happy Land - and have rarely seen trailers entering or leaving it - from the highway it looks more like a mobile home park.

Sleeping Giant - as already mentioned - is a great spot - if you are into hiking at all it has some great trails with lots of scenery - and a walk down the waterfront avenue in Silver Islet is like a walk back through time (unfortunately I hear the old store is closed this year). To go to Thunder Bay and not visit Sleeping Giant is to miss a lot - and don't forget a day trip to Ouimet Canyon (no camping).

Have a great trip.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Enjoy your trip to Canada, as others have said you may find things a bit more difficult crossing back into the USA. I can't recommend Provincial Parks in Ontario highly enough. They lack the full hookups but for everything else they are excellent.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
We are not planning on bringing any firearms across the border. We may however like to bring a bottle of wine and some frozen fruit for smoothies. Any problems with these items?
Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Please check here this should answer your questions
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifvc-rpvc-eng.html

Safe travels!

Poodle, whippet, and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote