Old 11-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Virginia Highland Haven

Any Airstreamer heading north or south up the Blue Ridge Parkway in southwestern Virginia (or the I81 corridor) should plan to stop at the Virginia Highland Haven Airstream Park in Copper Hill, VA. An easy 10 minute drive from the parkway, this 75 acre, Airstream only, private park and campground is nestled in a secluded peaceful mountain setting. The 46 full hookup campsites (water, sewer, 30 amp electrical, wifi) are arranged on top of a mountain ridge with spectacular long distance views of the forests and mountains. The evening sunsets offer a dazzling display of color and light before the sun fades behind the mountains and the starry sky emerges. It is perfect for a one night stopover or an extended stay to unwind and explore the surrounding area.

The nearby quaint little town of Floyd has bluegrass music on Friday nights and Sunday afternoons at the Floyd Country Store. In Floyd the Pine Tavern offers delicious country cooking served family style on the weekends. There is also a wonderful Italian restaurant, Mickie G's in Floyd. The local Chateau Morrisette has wine tastings, an excellent restaurant, and special events such as jazz on the lawn. Within an easy drive are Roanoke, Christiansburg, and Blackburg with a variety of dining, cultural, historical, and recreational activities.

Virginia Highland Haven is privately owned by friendly Airstream enthusiasts who take turns serving as park hosts and maintain the campground in first class condition. The park's operating season is May 1 to October 15. Stay 6 nights and receive a 7th night free. Here is a link to the website: Highland Haven

Can you tell we like Virginia Highland Haven? Our second night of Airstream ownership was spent at Highland Haven and we keep going back for stays of a weekend or longer.

TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55 View Post
Any Airstreamer heading north or south up the Blue Ridge Parkway in southwestern Virginia (or the I81 corridor) should plan to stop at the Virginia Highland Haven Airstream Park in Copper Hill, VA. An easy 10 minute drive from the parkway, this 75 acre, Airstream only, private park and campground is nestled in a secluded peaceful mountain setting. The 46 full hookup campsites (water, sewer, 30 amp electrical, wifi) are arranged on top of a mountain ridge with spectacular long distance views of the forests and mountains. The evening sunsets offer a dazzling display of color and light before the sun fades behind the mountains and the starry sky emerges. It is perfect for a one night stopover or an extended stay to unwind and explore the surrounding area. The nearby quaint little town of Floyd has bluegrass music on Friday nights and Sunday afternoons at the Floyd Country Store. In Floyd the Pine Tavern offers delicious country cooking served family style on the weekends. There is also a wonderful Italian restaurant, Mickie G's in Floyd. The local Chateau Morrisette has wine tastings, an excellent restaurant, and special events such as jazz on the lawn. Within an easy drive are Roanoke, Christiansburg, and Blackburg with a variety of dining, cultural, historical, and recreational activities. Virginia Highland Haven is privately owned by friendly Airstream enthusiasts who take turns serving as park hosts and maintain the campground in first class condition. The park's operating season is May 1 to October 15. Stay 6 nights and receive a 7th night free. Here is a link to the website: Highland Haven Can you tell we like Virginia Highland Haven? Our second night of Airstream ownership was spent at Highland Haven and we keep going back for stays of a weekend or longer.
Great suggestion. This place did not show up on my Allstays campground app but I did find it on RVPark reviews. It got a great review and I've added it to my list of must-see places.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #17
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Stick to the mountainous areas where practical

We did the Ga to Me trip last year (Sept-Nov) and had a terrific time. I highly recommend the inland route (I-81) to avoid the metro area [DC-Phi-NYC] traffic (I-85/95) congestion. Certainly visit Highland Haven on your way. Central Pennsylvania is a beautiful drive through pastoral agricultural vistas.

We enjoyed a state park (don't recall the name) near Indian Kettles, just south of Ticonderoga, on Lake George in NY. Drop your trailer and visit the fort to the north and/or the city of Lake George to the south. Of course, the Adirondacks are a must do destination for outdoor lovers and the Lake Placid region, especially.

In Vermont, do Woodstock which is a town visually stuck in the 1800s and home to a small college, shops, and the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller Nat'l Historic Park which has a large working farm museum that is truly picturesque. Check out the remaining covered bridges in the area, too.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I did ATL to Nova Scotia a looong time ago, in a Vega GT pulling a very small camping trailer(think open top, build tent on top---crazy) It was a great trip. 31 days. We left ATL Labor Day & it was 30 degrees in Maine ! Ate fresh lobsters at a hwy picnic area from a boiling 55 gallon drum on US 1 ($5), fresh blueberry pancakes, and a lot of seafood in N.S. And yes we went across the GW bridge, at 2 pm ! Took the ferry from St Johns to Digby,N.S.(24 ft tides on Bay of Fundy) drove completely around the whole island, then went up to St Lawrence Seaway, down to Quebec City, and home. Fun memories. This was of course, before internet wore out a perfectly good Rand McNally atlas. Have a great trip & regards, Craig
Old 11-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
While in the Adirondacks, if you have time, visit the Adirondack museum in Blue Mtn. Lake. It's on the western side of the area and a bit of a drive from the Lake Champlain area but well worth the time. The whole area is worth the time but you may need to exercise some selectivity depending on your time constraints. But you will enjoy it all.

Have a great visit. See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote