Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What Emergency Road Service (ERS) do you use?
AAA 7 25.93%
Coach Net 3 11.11%
Good Sam ERS 6 22.22%
Camping World 2 7.41%
Your Insurance Company 5 18.52%
Other 0 0%
None 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2003, 07:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Emergency Road Service

What Emergency Road Service do you use? Comments?
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 08:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Emergency Road Service

I have had AAA plus RV for the past eight years. So far I haven't had to use the service when towing my trailer, but have used is multiple times with my '75 Cadillac, and once for a flat tire on my Suburban. The only down side has been response time - - typically in excess of two hours for a tow, and in excess of an hour to change a flat (I was only 300 yards from the AAA station with the flat).

This may be typical of all Emergency Road Service providers, but I must remind the call center of the need for a heavy duty tow truck when my Cadillac must be towed - - AAA sent a 1-ton tow truck to tow my Cadiallc once and each time we hit a bumb the tow truck's front wheels would leave the ground momentarily.

Another issue that I have learned of that is of critical interest for Vintage Airstream Trailer owners is that the tow truck operator must be advised of ball size required for your trailer if the trailer is to be towed separately from the disabled tow vehicle. A friend encountered just such a situation but had assumed that the operator could read the stamping on the coupler "2" Marvel" and understand that a 2" ball was required. The ball size on the tow truck was incorrect and the trailer was lost on the highway when the coupler left the ball.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 08:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

road service

I have AAA rv service and on my sob just prior to my current 310 motorhome, blew a 454 motor in Daytona , FL ..service was good even though late at night, towed 156 miles to my local dealer and gave me a ride home, I believe I paid nearly 3 bucks a mile for the 56 over 100 miles but it was good service and I was satisfied.

I recently paid $79 to Good Sams for more comprhensive coverage...haven't used it thankfully, has anyone else?
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 08:43 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I received a free membership from Thor when I bought the Bambi for road service. It is good for one year. After it expires, I am uncertain I will renew.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 10:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
I believe the factory road service is from Coach-Net.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:42 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I have had Good Sam ERS for four years now and have used the service four times, so far.

Each time the service arrived within 30 minutes. Was done well.
(flat tires) and service people friendly and courteous.

And, Good Sam called back later the same day to determine whether work was done satisfactorily.

Couldn't ask for a better investment! I would certainly recommend them to RV users.
moporolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 11:01 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I use the towing option ($40 annually) from my trailer insurance from Foremost. It includes towing of both vehicles, a 800 number for service and trip interruption coverage.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 01:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
I asked this question since my ERS is up for renewal.

I originally went with Coach Net for the following reasons:

1) I heard that the toll-free call center response times were fairly long for Good Sam and Camping World (since they both go into the same Affinity call center). (from the Usenet RV group) If I'm on the side of the road on my cell phone, I don't want a long call.

2) Coach Net is the only one that requires RV training for their call center staff. I needed them on my first trip and they were very RV knowledgeable. I was educated about my electrical system by a technician. They did call me later to verify I was back up and running.

The coverages between Coach Net, Good Sam, and Camping World are very similar. Lots of happy users for all three and I don't think you can go wrong. Most complaints are due to local problems out of their control.

Bottom line: I'll probably renew my Coach Net
Old 06-28-2003, 04:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I'm with Jack on using Foremost's towing on my insurance policy. I also use their total replacement value where in the first 5 years of a new trailer's life, they'll replace it with a current year model, and in years 6-10, they'll give you the original price of your year model (declared value).

Hopefully, it won't be much longer before we're using their full-timers policy.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:57 PM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
We have AAA RV plus.

The first time we used it it was great, first govenor died and we had a great tow to our location in the boonies of Idaho in 45 Min. Proper truck and he did an awesome job.

When we died in Dallas I spent 30 min. on the phone with the call center trying to explain I need a HD truck to tow me. Then when they finally found someone to take the call (2+hours later) I verified that they were going to send out the correct equiptment and was told they had it as a gooseneck trailer???? So they recalled the truck and dispached a HD, but it was going to be 3 more hours.

I spoke to AAA numerous times trying to get a better response, but it took close to 8 hours to get a tow truck to me and I was less than 20 miles outside of Dallas. I have not had a follow up call from AAA or any explainiation as to why in the boonies I get fantastic service and in the Metroplex it takes 8 hours for a truck and 11 hours from first call to get towed to a shop.

I have to chalk it up to the local operators, and the individual; state call centers. I have used AAA for my cars in Florida and have been very happy with the service.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 08:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I have Good Sams and just renewed. The special was $20 gas coupon with the $89 renewal.
From what they tell me the Airstream trailer is covered but boats or utility trailers don't qualify ?? This is my third year and haven't had to use them yet. However; I have had at least three flats on my boat trailer.
Since I seem to be pulling one or the other all the time does anyone know who would cover all in a towing situation ??

garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 08:38 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

I don't have anything and feel good about it. Have a brand new truck and new axels on my trailer. I think the chances of needing to be towed is low. I"m pretty young, good at changing tires. If I had an older MH, I think I might get something.
TBKP's Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 08:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
It's not the tires I worry about. I wouldn't wait for a tow truck to change a tire if I had a good spare, unless the weather was really bad. I have on one occasion had a spare blow out less than two miles after changing leaving me we no spare and I have lost the transmission while pulling a utility trailer that required a tow.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 09:17 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

There's a thousand things that can go wrong on the road..especially in strange territory where you don't know who's qualified or not. Not just tires but brakes, transmission, heating up, hitch problems..the list goes on.

It can happen late at night, on week-ends, on the back roads and on the supers.

I feel comfortable knowing that anytime, anywhere I can get help with just a phone call.

Peace of mind is worth the price + its year 'round on all vehicles.
moporolo is offline   Reply With Quote