Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncans View Post
If you decide to cross the Cascades on the Santiam Pass and plan to visit Silver Falls State Park, you could stay at our farm--free! , and visit the Falls w/o dragging your trailer up the curves. We have a 7 acre "park" on Butte Creek outside Silverton / Mount Angel Oregon.

Dave and Susan
So how are US 20 and Oregon 26 as roads?
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #22
van guru

1994 28' Excella
Hood River , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
So how are US 20 and Oregon 26 as roads?
20 and 26 are fine roads but I would recommend continuing on I-84 along the Columbia. Columbia Gorge Scenic Area is spectacular for many miles.

Maryhill Museum is awesome. There are wineries, fruit (apricots and peaches are on out east, cherries just finishing in HR, raspberries are good now). Hood River is activity central with tons of fun. Mt Hood has Timberline lodge and you can ride the chairlift up to the Glacier. Multnomah Falls is a must see and some of the smaller falls are worth a hike. Powered bike tours on the old Columbia Highway are all the rage. Paddle boards, kiteboards, windsurfing all going on when the wind blows. A very colorful and vibrant scene.

More sun out here than at the coast. Can be sort of gloomy there sometimes so we usually try to time some sunny days when going there. Manzanita (go there) and points further south generally clear out (of the morning fog) quicker.

Did I mention the Spruce Goose in Mcminville? That and the other airplanes there are amazing. We have the WAAAM here in Hood River. It's across the road from us.

Happy and safe travels.
All the best,
Hein
Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
1957 18' Wanderer
Marfa , Everywhere
Just a few thoughts:

We stayed at an excellent Harvest Hosts location outside Corvallis, Oregon: Emerson Vineyards. Great stopover for one night.

Route 20 through south central Oregon is very beautiful. No one out there. It takes you through Burns, just north of the Malheur Wildlife Refuge. You can stay at Crystal Crane Hot Springs, which has hookups, and you can soak in the hot water "pond" which is open 24 hours and is a magical stargazing spot.

Route 26 is also beautiful and takes you past the John Day Fossil Beds NM, Sheep Rock Unit. Both routes take you over to Bend. We stayed at LaPine SP, which has full hookups. Great stay.

Also: Full hookups at the Fish House Inn in Dayville, Oregon, on Route 26. We stayed there for the total solar eclipse last year and had a ball. Small town, bighearted people.

Bon Voyage. Remember, its not the destination, its the journey......
57Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hein View Post
20 and 26 are fine roads but I would recommend continuing on I-84 along the Columbia. Columbia Gorge Scenic Area is spectacular for many miles.

Maryhill Museum is awesome. There are wineries, fruit (apricots and peaches are on out east, cherries just finishing in HR, raspberries are good now). Hood River is activity central with tons of fun. Mt Hood has Timberline lodge and you can ride the chairlift up to the Glacier. Multnomah Falls is a must see and some of the smaller falls are worth a hike. Powered bike tours on the old Columbia Highway are all the rage. Paddle boards, kiteboards, windsurfing all going on when the wind blows. A very colorful and vibrant scene.

More sun out here than at the coast. Can be sort of gloomy there sometimes so we usually try to time some sunny days when going there. Manzanita (go there) and points further south generally clear out (of the morning fog) quicker.

Did I mention the Spruce Goose in Mcminville? That and the other airplanes there are amazing. We have the WAAAM here in Hood River. It's across the road from us.

Happy and safe travels.
All the best,
Hein

Thanks for the tips
Old 07-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
To tag onto hein's s comments....

QUOTE=Hein;2126862]20 and 26 are fine roads but I would recommend continuing on [...hwy 126, 138 & 22 a well. I suggest you first figure out where on the coast...entire length... NB, SB, retrace path and that will determine the coast range crossover]

Maryhill Museum is awesome. There are wineries, fruit (apricots and peaches are on out east, cherries just finishing in HR, raspberries are good now).....[ great camping CG & RV park at merryhill, right on the river ]
Hood River is activity central....

Don't overlook county parks to camp as, they often very nice, hookups and cheaper

Happy trails
B
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
To tag onto hein's s comments....

QUOTE=Hein;2126862]20 and 26 are fine roads but I would recommend continuing on [...hwy 126, 138 & 22 a well. I suggest you first figure out where on the coast...entire length... NB, SB, retrace path and that will determine the coast range crossover]

Maryhill Museum is awesome. There are wineries, fruit (apricots and peaches are on out east, cherries just finishing in HR, raspberries are good now).....[ great camping CG & RV park at merryhill, right on the river ]

Hood River is activity central....

Don't overlook county parks to camp as, they often very nice, hookups and cheaper

Happy trails

B

Thanks for tip on county parks. What's best way to locate those?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
I'd start here https://tinyurl.com/y7qq56wd
and just google XXXX county parks.

a few examples

Lane co is http://reservations.lanecounty.org/ for Harbor Vista on the coast in Florence, a real sleeper IMO

a campsite pic/post for Harbor Vista referenced above.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...27845-139.html

Douglass co S of Florence/Lane Co is http://www.co.douglas.or.us/parks/campgrounds.asp

Coos Co (S of Douglas Co) is http://www.co.coos.or.us/Departments...untyParks.aspx

Lincoln Co (N of Lane Co) is http://www.co.lincoln.or.us/parksites I've heard the Lincoln city Co park is very nice.

p.s here is the campsite pic of Peach Beach RV Park, Maryhill, WA, http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...-a-174259.html

with a SP next door as well...great spot and a ton of fruit production.

Note in the above link I listed another county park in John Day (Grant Co)...just to give you an idea of how nice they are

b
Old 07-11-2018, 11:21 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
I recently found this Ultimate Campgrounds app, which is a handy way to access UltimateCampgrounds.com, which seems to feature a lot of the dispersed camping areas, municipal, county, township camp grounds, etc. I've only started using it to help plan out destinations, so I can't speak to the accuracy yet.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
BTW, if you do approach via Hwy 40 to Reno Reno and N on 395 to Susanville, the drive up 44 (past the back side of Lassen) to 89 towards McCloud/I-5 is gorgeous and an easy pull with traffic that flow very well.

MacArthur Burney is a a great SP and there is a nice RV pack on the S sie of Susanville. I also understand some nice RV's parks around Mt Shasta/Weed.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:55 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I was born and raised in Portland, OR, currently live in the Seattle area, am an enthusiastic member of the OR Airstream Club, and have spent innumerable vacations now for over 70 years on the OR coast, which is effectively divided into two regions, each with its own flavor:

1. The Northern Coast, from Astoria, at the mouth of the Columbia, to around Newport, pretty much in the middle, vertically, of the coast. This is the area that gets swamped with tourists in the summer. The main towns are Astoria, Seaside (with boardwalks, a roller coaster, bumpum cars and is the traditional site of the Miss Oregon Pageant), Tillamook (with its cheese factory and not really being "on the coast"), Lincoln City (a more southern and larger version of Seaside but further from Portland), and Newport (the largest marina on the coast and traditionally with a lot of work boats). Last Fall when I was in Lincoln City, I talked with the manager of the RV park where we were staying, and he told me that driving through Lincoln City, but a few miles, took him over an hour during the summer; in the fall it took me 10-15 minutes. This is the area, particularly from Seaside to Lincoln City, that has the direct roads from Portland, and they come in droves, there being less than 90 minutes away (without traffic --- with traffic, God help you).

2. The Southern Coast, from around Yachats and Florence to Brookings, at the OR/CA border, and also including the adjacent Northern Coast of CA (down to around Crescent city and Eureka and the coastal Redwoods). This area is quieter, less crowded, commercial, and "touristy," more pleasant, and somewhat warmer, and also has some remarkable Oregon State Parks right on the coast (many of the parks on the northern coast are separated from the coast by tall, wide, sand berms). Plus the redwoods, which are simply awesome.

As others have said, however, getting reservations for the OR State Parks during the summer can be problematic, even during the middle of the week.

My best to you whatever you choose. The Oregon coast is simply wonderful. I hope you can get there and will enjoy it, too.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
I was born and raised in Portland, OR, currently live in the Seattle area, am an enthusiastic member of the OR Airstream Club, and have spent innumerable vacations now for over 70 years on the OR coast, which is effectively divided into two regions, each with its own flavor:

1. The Northern Coast, from Astoria, at the mouth of the Columbia, to around Newport, pretty much in the middle, vertically, of the coast. This is the area that gets swamped with tourists in the summer. The main towns are Astoria, Seaside (with boardwalks, a roller coaster, bumpum cars and is the traditional site of the Miss Oregon Pageant), Tillamook (with its cheese factory and not really being "on the coast"), Lincoln City (a more southern and larger version of Seaside but further from Portland), and Newport (the largest marina on the coast and traditionally with a lot of work boats). Last Fall when I was in Lincoln City, I talked with the manager of the RV park where we were staying, and he told me that driving through Lincoln City, but a few miles, took him over an hour during the summer; in the fall it took me 10-15 minutes. This is the area, particularly from Seaside to Lincoln City, that has the direct roads from Portland, and they come in droves, there being less than 90 minutes away (without traffic --- with traffic, God help you).

2. The Southern Coast, from around Yachats and Florence to Brookings, at the OR/CA border, and also including the adjacent Northern Coast of CA (down to around Crescent city and Eureka and the coastal Redwoods). This area is quieter, less crowded, commercial, and "touristy," more pleasant, and somewhat warmer, and also has some remarkable Oregon State Parks right on the coast (many of the parks on the northern coast are separated from the coast by tall, wide, sand berms). Plus the redwoods, which are simply awesome.

As others have said, however, getting reservations for the OR State Parks during the summer can be problematic, even during the middle of the week.

My best to you whatever you choose. The Oregon coast is simply wonderful. I hope you can get there and will enjoy it, too.

Thanks for the tip. Will have to seriously consider South Coast.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
A word of caution if you go to Multnohmah Falls. Do not try to take your trailer in the parking lot there, there is not room. Do not leave anything of value in your tow rig there, since the place is mostly tourists, theft from cars is a constant problem.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Oregon Dept. of Transportation

Be sure to look up ODOT for the current bridge / traffic closures / ramp repairs for current highway repair through the Portland area. ODOT has been warning to driving public for weeks now to expect the longest delays / commutes in 10 years.
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Centennial , Colorado
I bought my 2018 23FB International Serenity in Caldwell, ID at Northwest Adventures Airstream Dealers. They are incredibly nice and you can stay for free on their property, as a previous responder mentioned. I met a lot of other Airstream RV'ers, including a couple who recommeneded the website Harvest Hosts. North of Caldwell is a gorgeous area, including the Payette River valley. I watched the complete solar eclipse from that valley - SPECTACULAR!
One route you could take would be to head straight west to Fruita, CO, which is about 250 miles from Denver. This takes you through the Eisenhower tunnel and over Vail Pass, both of which are very manageable towing an Airstream. There are several Harvest Host vineyards and farms near Fruita where you can stay for free as long as you sample (and presumably buy) some of their wares. As an alternative, the James M Robb Colorado River State Park is beautiful, and just requires that you have a state park pass.
About half-way between Fruita and Caldwell, and about a 300 mile drive, is Ogden, UT where there are numerous RV parks. I'm not personally familiar with any of them, but Wasatch View Estates is not too far off the highway.
Beyond Caldwell, ID and into Oregon, I don't have any experience, but it looks like you've gotten plenty of other recommendations. Good luck!!
daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:40 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Following.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
I recently found this Ultimate Campgrounds app, which is a handy way to access UltimateCampgrounds.com, which seems to feature a lot of the dispersed camping areas, municipal, county, township camp grounds, etc. I've only started using it to help plan out destinations, so I can't speak to the accuracy yet.
Great post. I just checked the UltimateCampgrounds web site and found it is easy to use and wish I'd known about it during my May trip from the Texas coast to Yellowstone and back. It shows many camping opportunities I did not know at the time, although we did ok in state & national parks due to the off-season.

What information I could verify appears accurate. I will be downloading their app for furture trips. Thanks.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncans View Post
Be sure to look up ODOT for the current bridge / traffic closures / ramp repairs for current highway repair through the Portland area. ODOT has been warning to driving public for weeks now to expect the longest delays / commutes in 10 years.
This. ^^^^^

I5 Southbound to the 84 eastbound is closed for the next two weeks for resurfacing. All the S bound traffic has to take either the 405 or 205 around the mess, and if you need to get to 84 from the 405 you have to get back on the 5 N which is a cluster because of all the mess. When they reopen the 5, they will then close the N bound lanes for another two weeks to do the same. If possible stay away from Portland until mid August.

I have to drive through this mess this afternoon for a family thing in Vancouver, WA. Not looking forward to it.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2008 27' Classic FB
Oak Harbor , Washington
Depending on your route...ON I-70 west of Denver, the KOA in Rifle (billed as Glenwood Spring West) is very nice especially if you can snag a cg on the Colorado River. Willard Bay is good just north of Ogden on I-15. Farewell Bend has been mentioned. We like Grande Hot Springs RV Resort for the amenities (and the old Hot Lake Springs next door). Boardman Marine RV Park is right on the Columbia. Too many good places to describe on the OC. If you can, don't rush through the Columbia Gorge. It isn't a National Park but it ought to be.

If you take "The Loneliest Highway" or US 50 east from Utah, then there is camping at Great Basin National park and some interesting little CGs along 50 in Eureka but that route is pretty far south. If you take 80 from SLC to Winnemucca then turn north then west on 140 which is the "Winnemucca to the Sea" route all the way to Brookings, Oregon. Firm up your route and PM me for more if need be.
Taj MaHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
I returned today from this same trip, from Silverthorne to Portland to Coos Bay and then home to Silverthorne. I would second the suggestion to hug the Columbia River en route to Oregon, very pretty with lovely side trip possibilities—like lavender fields and waterfalls. If you plan to head south from Portland, 101 is just delightful, lots of pull-offs for photo ops. You might encounter fog but it also is lovely. You will be on the slow route, however... lots of curves and small towns..but for me the charm outweighed the speed. Your other option is, of course I-5. Fast but no fun.
En route home i decided to try route 20, which bisects Oregon west to east.. LOTS of state park campgrounds from the coast to past Cascadia...really lovely, old-growth forests. Then you twist and turn through high desert all the way to Idaho. Glad I did it but never again.....too many hairpin curves for my shoulders!
I took 84 across Wyoming but the campgrounds were spotty and bare bones, would not recommend, even the KOAs. Tip: there is a lovely, deserted road, 789, that connects due south from 84 to Craig. Be sure your gas tank is full but it’s a very peaceful return to Colorado.
Safe travels!
Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Greenville , South Carolina
Fort Bridget. Not very far off 80 and great for an overnight stay. Then head over to Boise for an overnight stop and onto a state park in Columbia River Gorge with an extra day to view the gorgeous waterfalls. From there we headed to Cannon Beach RV and loved that area.
crosswinds is offline   Reply With Quote