Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Crossing the sierras

Hello out there,

My wife and I are planning to cross the Sierras next week (Oct 10) starting at Jackson Rancheria and ending up somewhere around Bishop, CA along Hwy 395. Looking at maps of the area, there appear to be three routes that seem reasonable, and I'd really appreciate advice from anyone with recent experience, in particular towing your AS at high altitude. The routes are I-80 to Reno over Donner Pass, then south on 395, Hwy 50 thru Lake Tahoe to 395, the south, or south to Bakersfield then east to 395 skirting the high elevation passes.

We've used our 2001 Suburban 5.3 as a TV up to 4,800 elevation with no problems. Anyone with experience using this TV at 7,300 ft or higher?

Thanks for the advice,

Paul
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
The routes you mentioned are all open all year long, but prettiest is through Yosemite and down from Tioga Pass (the first scene in the Long, Long Trailer). Winter storm warnings expected from Tuesday through Thursday this week. Keep an eye on the CalTrans road condition site.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Geezer View Post
Hello out there,

My wife and I are planning to cross the Sierras next week (Oct 10) starting at Jackson Rancheria and ending up somewhere around Bishop, CA along Hwy 395. Looking at maps of the area, there appear to be three routes that seem reasonable, and I'd really appreciate advice from anyone with recent experience, in particular towing your AS at high altitude. The routes are I-80 to Reno over Donner Pass, then south on 395, Hwy 50 thru Lake Tahoe to 395, the south, or south to Bakersfield then east to 395 skirting the high elevation passes.

We've used our 2001 Suburban 5.3 as a TV up to 4,800 elevation with no problems. Anyone with experience using this TV at 7,300 ft or higher?

Thanks for the advice,

Paul
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Paul,

We made the same trip on 395 last October. Our route was North from Simi Valley on 14 to Mojave picking up 395 at Inyokern, picking up 80 in Reno heading East to NY.

I don't see that 80 East from Sacramento would be a problem.
I can't comment on 50 out of Sacramento thru Tahoe, but there should be someone here with experience on 50 from Placerville to Carson City.

We used 395 because we had heard it was well worth the effort and we weren't disappointed. Scenery is great, opportunities for some interesting side trips.

You will probably be a little slow with your 5.3 Burb 27' AS combo, but if your not in a big hurry, (and you shouldn't be on that route), it is a great trip.

Good Luck.....Sweet Streams

Bob
Old 10-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
We have done all three with our 2002 GMC Yukon pulling our 1964 22' Safari.

HWY 50 is the most scenic or the 3. However it is the narrowest and twistiest of the 3 as well. The drive is beautiful with the river the mountains and then you come around that corner and Lake Tahoe comes into view. Wow, slow down and take the 2nd pullout and take in the view.

HWY 80 is a breeze almost anytime of year. Large all weather, multiple lanes but a little ruff in spots. 2nd most scenic of the 3 but the ride south on HWY 395 is much more scenic than HWY 99 or 5 south. In fact it is beautiful. 395 can get snow!!!

HWY 58 over Tehachapi Pass is not a bad route. Easy multilane hwy that seems well maintained every time we have been over it. The scenery is not as stunning however it is quite different and nice in its own right.

Check the weather report at NOAA's National Weather Service NOAA is the best.

We have driven 80 and 58 in the blowing snow with ice but not 50 yet. If the weather is bud I would recommend 58 to 14 then 395.

Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
As the posts have said, watch out for the weather this week.

I have driven the AS in winter conditions, but remember to get tire chains. That means a set of chains for the tow vehicle PLUS a set of chains or light duty cables for at least one set of the axles on the trailer. It's not just safety, it's the LAW!

Also a good thing to have are waterproof work gloves, coveralls and waterproof ground pad or tarp.

Your rig should be provisioned for a trip, but don't forget other winter precautions like antifreeze in bottom of tanks in case you need to spend spend a night in sub freezing conditions.

I probably missed lots more but you get the drift (no pun intended!)

Chris
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote