Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
I asked about this while I was getting my AS with us tanks filled before our shakedown cruise. The guy there told me that there is a place in town that will recertify any tank, US or CDN. This was in a smaller town, so I assume this would be even easier in a larger centre.
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Even in the US a recertification sticker may not be accepted at Camping World. El Paso CW refused to fill a tank with a month old sticker because there was a rust spot on the bottom.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
From discussions I had with another Airstreamer, he was able to recertify his aluminum tanks in Canada. They changed the valves and did the recert along with filling 2 tanks for around $130. However, they removed the US stickers he had on them.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #84
1 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
Maryville , Tennessee
You need a passport or passport card. Either works for land crossing but a passport book is required if you would need to fly back to the States. Bear spray is legal but I would not volunteer that I had any unless specifically asked. I have a handgun permit and when I crossed the border on the west side of Glacier that must had shown up on my data when my passport was scanned. the Canadian guard asked if I had any guns or other items banned and I replied "no". He then asked "Why not?" I thought that this was a trick question but replied that my daughter lives in Missoula and I left my handgun there because I knew I could not take it into Canada (which was true). He said fine and waved me across.
earljones458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #85
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
When I took my Worthington tanks (bought at VTS) to a large propane distributor in Hamilton, ON the guy took a quick look at the tank and said he couldn't recertify it because it was a US tank. I'll have them recertified in the US and then see if I can get them filled here when needed. We cross the border so often that it's not likely to be an issue for us anyway.
Worthington propane cylinders are manufactured in compliance with both U.S. (DOT) and Candada (TC) rules, and are so marked. I believe most of them are actually made in Canada. The fellow you spoke with was talking out of his ear.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by earljones458 View Post
I have a handgun permit and when I crossed the border on the west side of Glacier that must had shown up on my data when my passport was scanned. the Canadian guard asked if I had any guns or other items banned and I replied "no". He then asked "Why not?" I thought that this was a trick question but replied that my daughter lives in Missoula and I left my handgun there because I knew I could not take it into Canada (which was true). He said fine and waved me across.
Apparently the word has still not gotten out to all Americans about not being permitted to bring guns into Canada.
Americans crossing into Canada carrying guns with 'alarming frequency'

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
You can get a Worthington tank certified in Ontario - I just did. They change the valve and check that the tank is not physically corroded (cost about $45 + tax). The newly certified tank is good for 10 years. Mine was done at Bytown Garage on Cleopatra St in Ottawa. The person there explained that the penalty for filling an uncertified tank is $50,000 and levied on the least educated person in the chain of command, namely the kid doing the fill. So they will refuse to do anything to a tank that doesn't have the new type of certification code. Once the cert is done, then you will not get hassled.
WBCCI 8080
Old 08-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
You can get a Worthington tank certified in Ontario - I just did. They change the valve and check that the tank is not physically corroded (cost about $45 + tax). The newly certified tank is good for 10 years. Mine was done at Bytown Garage on Cleopatra St in Ottawa. The person there explained that the penalty for filling an uncertified tank is $50,000 and levied on the least educated person in the chain of command, namely the kid doing the fill. So they will refuse to do anything to a tank that doesn't have the new type of certification code. Once the cert is done, then you will not get hassled.
It's not the brand that's important, but the specification(s) under which it was manufactured. Do your tanks have a TC number on them? Mine do not. They only have the US designation which is DOT. I think I read where some cylinders have both US and Canadian certifications. According to the Transport Canada site a cylinder that did not originally have a TC specification can not be converted to have a TC specification.
From: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/tdg/moc-cyl...l#convertnontc

Can I convert a non-TC specification cylinder or tube into a TC specification cylinder or tube?

NO. Once a cylinder or tube has been manufactured, there are no measures that can be taken to allow that cylinder or tube to meet the requirements of a TC specification.

I bought mine from Vintage Trailer Supply, and on their site they state: "All our tanks feature the following: Manufactured to Department of Transportation specifications." There's no mention of Transport Canada.

The Worthington propane site states: "These cylinders are also manufactured to Department of Transportation (DOT) or Transport Canada (TC) specifications in facilities that have a Quality Management System certified to ISO 9001 requirements." which makes it sound like you get one designation or the other. I'd be interested in knowing if some Worthington aluminum tanks have both TC and DOT certifications.

From The Canadian Propane Association FAQ page:
Q. Can I fill a cylinder in Canada that I purchased in the United States?

In some cases yes; however, in other cases a cylinder from the United States cannot be filled in Canada. Transport Canada summarizes the types of cylinders that can be used in Canada on its website here. We suggest that you contact Transport Canada for clarification.
I have had my tanks filled in Canada a couple of times, but I'm not sure if that was done legally, or if the filler just didn't pay attention to the markings.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Kamloops , British Columbia
Did you get a reply from your MP? I am dealing with same situation here - I have two DOT (US) aluminium tanks from 2005 and was able to get one recertified here in Kamloops BC, but the tech declined to do the other one two weeks later because of regulations which only allow him to recert. tanks with TC code. The odd thing is that both tanks had identical markings. It seems crazy that with all the cross border travel by the RV community that there would not be a fix for this. Has anyone been able to talk to Transport Canada on this issue?
tadpoletim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I had to take both my tanks from my '94 back to the US to recertify and get new valves installed. Both tanks certified, 2 new valves and filled for $50. Took and hour and I saved a bundle. Nobody in Manitoba would do the job because it is "illegal". Easier to do what I did than try to fight the govt.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Kamloops , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
I had to take both my tanks from my '94 back to the US to recertify and get new valves installed. Both tanks certified, 2 new valves and filled for $50. Took and hour and I saved a bundle. Nobody in Manitoba would do the job because it is "illegal". Easier to do what I did than try to fight the govt.
And are you able to get the US recertified tanks refilled in Canada?
tadpoletim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpoletim View Post
Did you get a reply from your MP? I am dealing with same situation here - I have two DOT (US) aluminium tanks from 2005 and was able to get one recertified here in Kamloops BC, but the tech declined to do the other one two weeks later because of regulations which only allow him to recert. tanks with TC code. The odd thing is that both tanks had identical markings. It seems crazy that with all the cross border travel by the RV community that there would not be a fix for this. Has anyone been able to talk to Transport Canada on this issue?
No reply as yet from the MP.

FWIW, my Worthington tanks were manufactured in 1986, well before the current cross-border issue. Not only that, but the recerts were done for seeral years in the US (I only acquired this AS in 2011). Bytown, who did the cert of one of my tanks (the other will get done when the tank is depleted)
said that the new cert is good for 10 years. Once he changed the valve and etched his cert on the tank, Costco refilled it without any questions.

Part of the problem as I perceive it is that TSSA came down very hard on the people that do certs and refills, and unless they are completely sure about what they are doing, they refuse because of the threat of the fine. It also seems that the major issue is in Ontario - TSSA is federal, but each province has its own licensing body for people who service the gas industry. I had a friend who was a master gas technician in Quebec, but he was not permitted to do any service in Ontario.
WBCCI 8080
Old 08-14-2017, 06:55 PM   #93
2 Rivet Member

Coming back into Maine from NEW Brunswick we showed passports only but our truck bed was searched for firewood and the airstream was searched. The guy went in the fridge and took our limes. 🤷*♀️ citrus fruits are a no no.
Big Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
No problem getting the tanks refilled in Canada. All they look for is a date of certification, or recertification.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:02 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lumberton , Mississippi
Send a message via ICQ to Lyman
Has been few months since asked if any one knows with first hand knowledge if you can use military I’d card with birth certificate to cross to Canada. Have many people with guesses but do not need that please only respond if you have direct know on this. Already know about the enhanced drivers licenses so need no info on that.
Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #96
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Currently Looking...
Orleans , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyman View Post
Has been few months since asked if any one knows with first hand knowledge if you can use military I’d card with birth certificate to cross to Canada. Have many people with guesses but do not need that please only respond if you have direct know on this. Already know about the enhanced drivers licenses so need no info on that.

Here is a reference...the more challenging part may be crossing back into the US. According to this site it will not be a problem if you are travelling in orders. You can also call the border crossing during normal office hours to check. Good luck!

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-...-cross-border/
Old 01-29-2018, 09:52 PM   #97
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Just curious. Are Canadians allowed to bring guns into the US?
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:58 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrrand View Post
Just curious. Are Canadians allowed to bring guns into the US?
Why,do we need them?
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:23 PM   #99
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Why,do we need them?
Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

Was a fair question in my opinion. Any answers?
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:39 PM   #100
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrrand View Post
Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

Was a fair question in my opinion. Any answers?
Quote:
Bringing Firearms Across the Border into the United States

The United States is very strict about the regulations you must follow to bring a firearm into the country. Be sure to read our page on transporting firearms across the border for additional information that applies to both countries.

Generally speaking, it is unlawful for non-U.S. residents to possess or obtain firearms or ammunition while in the U.S. The most common exception to this is when entering the country to hunt or for a shooting competition.
http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-...-into-the-u-s/

Your needing/having reasoning sounds like it would be for purposes of personal protection. From the link and quote, it doesn't sound like personal protection is an accepted exception to the ban on non US residents possessing firearms.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote