Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2017, 08:28 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
Canadians were fine, ICE were very Full Of Themselves and a PITA for about 2 hours.
There can definitely be a big variation in how easy it is to cross depending on the person you get.

Using our Nexus cards entering the US we often get by answering one question "Do you have anything to declare?" But back in the fall just after the election the US agent asked in a stern voice "Where are you hoping to go today?" The message was clear that I should never assume that I could cross the border.

I entered the EU recently and found it interesting that there were no questions at all. The immigration officer glanced at my passport, stamped it and gave it back to me without saying anything and with barely a glance in my direction.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
We have crossed a number of times. Getting into Canada is quite easy when you follow the many suggestions already posted. Getting back into the US is much more trying.

We picked up a case of wine and when coming back they asked if we had anything to declare. I said yes and told them what it was. They were nice and told me that I wouldn't have to pay any tariff but then asked me to pull over and talk to the person standing there to the left. I did so and she was not friendly at all. Told me to unlock the trailer, told me to go back to my truck while someone was looking through it. I asked her if she wanted to know where the case of wine was and she told me to basically "be quiet and get in your truck."

When they finished they said I could go. That was it, "you can go." I wasn't really as much angry as I was ashamed for our country. The Canadians are always respectful and friendly, the Americans not so much. Our border patrol can do their jobs and still show some compassion and respect. Apparently this is not a priority on this side of the border. Sad story.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I suspect on the American side the border agents are not trying to put you at ease for a reason... they want to see how you will react.
ATownTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Wink

"We had our kayak on the roof of the car, I was not asked for any paperwork regarding the kayak or the airstream."

I believe the primary reasons for having serial numbers of expensive items is to (1) verify that they were not purchased in Canada and thus incurring a duty on return to the USA, (2) aid law enforcement in recovery in the event of theft.

As the numerous other posts illustrate, the process of crossing into either Canada or the USA can be highly variable and constitute anything between a 3-minute wait for one car followed by a smile and wave-through (as is the case for most of my visits when traveling in either direction) to a 2-hour wait in line and a complete unloading and search of your vehicle (as I experienced in 1973 at International Falls).

I doubt anyone is likely to pick up a hitch hiker these days while towing an Airstream. But I did pick up a hitchhiker on the Queen Elizabeth Way in 1971 only to discover that he had marijuana in his backpack when we stopped at US Customs in Buffalo, NY. Fortunately, they promptly released me and held the fellow responsible. I am not so sure it would go so easy today.

With marijuana now legal in several states (but not under US federal law), one should expect very serious repercussions if even a small amount is detectable by the dogs at the border. And though Canada is considering a national legalization policy, this is not yet the case. Even travel with license plates from a state that has legalized marijuana to another state that has may raise closer scrutiny by law enforcement.

Finally, when traveling in southern Canada during the summer you should prepare for daytime temperatures in the 20's.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
Finally, when traveling in southern Canada during the summer you should prepare for daytime temperatures in the 20's.
Yes, it's going to be 28° here today, so I've got my shorts on. Perfect weather for camping!

Old 05-18-2017, 10:04 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Surrey , BC
I live a few minutes from the border and cross regularly with my dog. I keep vac papers handy and have only ever been asked for them once, going into the States.

I have brought Bear Spray with me often and declare it both ways. As I understand it, as long as it is clearly marked as Bear Spray it is allowed.

You really don't want to try and bring a handgun into Canada. The authorities have no tolerence for "I forgot" or "I didn't know." Aside from which, if you do make it across and it is found on you anywhere in Canada, the penalties are automatic jail time.
Good news is, chances of you needing a handgun here are about zero if you stay away from gang members and criminal types.

Also, when you cross back to the States, do not bring any dog food with you. Not sure what the rationale is, but they don't like any dog food going south and may well check when they see a dog with you.
Tsalgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:04 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Yes, it's going to be 28° here today, so I've got my shorts on. Perfect weather for camping!
Eh? I hope you got your toque on.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Surrey , BC
Question for those of you who cross with Nexus.

Do you take the trailer through the Nexus line? Or just show your card in the regular line?
Old 05-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Surrey , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsalgood View Post
Also, when you cross back to the States, do not bring any dog food with you. Not sure what the rationale is, but they don't like any dog food going south and may well check when they see a dog with you.
I looked at this rule a bit closer and it seems the regulation is against taking any dog food into the states that isn't in the original packaging and clearly marked as made in the USA.
A bit confusing, but a rule for going home.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:

Do you take the trailer through the Nexus line? Or just show your card in the regular line?
We go through the Nexus lane. The only exception I know of is the Whirlpool Bridge in Niagara Falls where trailers are not permitted.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #51
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We normally feed a mix that we purchase from the vet. We purchase it in as big a bulk bag as is available and repackage in smaller reusable bags for transport. That is problematic for transport out of the country where sourcing is of concern. For the trip into Canada, we purchased a small bag and kept it unopened. The plan was that if the bulk was confiscated, we could use the smaller bag to feed until we returned home. The small bags have a hook and loop closure, which makes it easier to keep the food in the original packaging. Hope that helps with your planning alternatives. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:

We regularly travel down to the states and take our dog food purchased here in Canada. As long as it was manufactured in the US in the first place (ours is) they don't care. Just check on the bag that it does't have prohibited ingredients and is Made in the USA.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Eh? I hope you got your toque on.
Celsius!
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabloom View Post
The question about your licence plate relates to their camera angle and where your plate is mounted. They record plates of both tow vehicle and towed item. My airstream plate (dead centre above the bumper) gets captured on their camera, but my utility trailer (plate on side and its low) they always either ask, or walk down and record it for themselves.

I'm sure you are right, but here's the thing.

He walked back to the rear of my Airstream anyway.

I rather think he wanted to know if *I* knew what the tag number was back there.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Delta , British Columbia
Quote:

I take my trailer through the Nexus lane provided all people in the truck have Nexus (we do). On one occasion a US Customs officer old me that each vehicle had to have Nexus members in it and my that my trailer did not have anyone in it.......that being said we were on the road 30 seconds later headed for the Beautiful Oregon coast.

Northbound again we always use the Nexus lane.
Seabloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #56
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Boy am I glad they have never asked me for my trailer license plate #. I have no clue. The truck yes, trailer no. All my crossings have been polite and civil both ways. Even those where they wanted in the trailer to check ( US side). I hope they enjoyed the fruit they confiscated.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
The last time we crossed inti Canada we were asked a dozen different ways if we had any firearms. Still trying to figure that one out. Maybe I was channeling my inner redneck that day! When they started asking about pepper spray and the like I did say that we had bear spray. They asked where it was and when I said in the trailer closet that was the end of it. Even though the dogs were obviously in the truck cab we were never asked for any papers on them.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Propane tanks

For the most part, there was reciprocity of the propane tank recertifications. My tanks were last recertified at Ferrell Gas (sent there by JC) in April 2016. They place a sticker on the tank showing the date and the RIN of the recertifier. This week Costco (in Ontario) refused to refill my tank saying that they don't know anything about the certification (sticker) and to take it to an industrial fill station. I have sent an enquiry to TSSA to find out precisely what the policy and protocol is.

BTW, to recertify my 30-lb aluminum tank just outside JC is $10, and when I needed a new valve it was an addition $10. To recertify a tank in Canada it is a minimum $45, and revalving is over $100.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post

BTW, to recertify my 30-lb aluminum tank just outside JC is $10, and when I needed a new valve it was an addition $10. To recertify a tank in Canada it is a minimum $45, and revalving is over $100.
Is that for an aluminum tank? I just had my steel tank done with new valve here in B.C. for $27.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:40 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I haven't been asked about Dog Food since 2013. I still think it had to do with "Mad Cow Disease" and prions in the meat in the dog food

Llano88's experience with the agent going to the back of the trailer is what happened to me. I had new plates and had not yet memorized the number. Agent said no problem ...I''ll go back and look at it! Next time I was ready and he asked for my trailer registration papers instead!
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote