Old 01-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #85
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Anyway, to go back to SailorSam205ís original post, that was one heck of a video. Very scary. I would posit, however, that thereís one more place to go that the driver / videographer failed to explore: Come to a full and complete stop as quickly as possible. Just stop. Right there on the highway. Until that maniac was well past him. He said he could not get over due to soft sandy shoulders, but he could have stopped - especially given he said the folks behind him were friends and co-travelers on this drive. Just one more option to consider.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Crazy Christmas RV Drivers

In any case, letting the dangerous driver get way far away is preferable to being run off the road...

Iíve had to go full smoke on TV and AS to avoid stupidity like that. Flat spots on tires are irritating, a collision can be much worse....

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #87
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barretta2 View Post
Second, I know of no state where it is legat to tow at 75 or 80 MPH. The vast majority of states have a 65 max tow speed, some (like California) enforce a 55 limit!

I agree with everything you write. But FYI, in at least two States it is foolishly legal to tow at the same speed authorized for a car. Posted maximum speed on Idaho and Wyoming interstates is 80mph. Probably similar in several other wide-open western States.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:28 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

Just because the speed limit is ridiculously high somewhere does not mean that you canít plant your rig in the rightmost lane and drive at a reasonable speed for conditions.

I agree that an AS tows really well at car speed limits, as I discovered out in the flats of West Texas... and when I realized I was at that speed by checking the speedometer I gently reduced pressure on the gas pedal.

Nice to know the setup will do it, but Iím not on that big a hurry to get anywhere. The big rigs went by me, and I flashed my lights to let them back in, no huhu...
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Anyway, to go back to SailorSam205ís original post, that was one heck of a video. Very scary. I would posit, however, that thereís one more place to go that the driver / videographer failed to explore: Come to a full and complete stop as quickly as possible. Just stop. Right there on the highway. Until that maniac was well past him. He said he could not get over due to soft sandy shoulders, but he could have stopped - especially given he said the folks behind him were friends and co-travelers on this drive. Just one more option to consider.
I learned the hard way that it is illegal to come to a full-stop on an Interstate as long as traffic is moving. Insurance totalled my car when the texting Class-A driver rear-ended me for stopping to keep from running over a puppy in the road.... Insurance held me responsible for the accident rather than the texting Class-A driver who had over 1/4 mile to observe me stopped..... and the Ft Worth police did not issue any citation to the Class-A driver despite witnesses who confirmed what happened. (Lab pup died of course when my vehicle was propelled over the dog by the rear-ending, and I awoke in the back of the vehicle covered in glass, temporarily paralyzed with neck injury. My driver's seat was ripped from the floor and the seat back broken-down.
So.... slamming on the brakes to a complete stop is probably not a good idea. Slowing down rapidly to facilitate their ability to change over into your lane is clearly a good idea.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:26 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
There's nothing funny... about causing an accident. Or sometimes avoiding one.

Years ago I drove a motorcycle because I simply could NOT afford a car, even a beater. I needed that 95 mpg to be able to afford gasoline, even when it was 30 cents a gallon. I was truly afraid of tailgaters especially as my littlt Honda could barely go 40 mph. A friend suggested taking a brick sized piece of styrofoam and painting it to look like a real brick. I strapped it to the seat and more than once waved it at a following driver to encourage him to leave a safe distance behind me.

One day it slipped out of my hand at about 30 mph. It floated away in the direction of the tailgater. Anyone with 3 living brain cells SHOULD have realized "that is not a real brick"... but dumb@@@ slammed on his brakes, lost control, and 3 trays of fast food went all over the inside of his car....
Then he came after me with murder clearly in his eyes. Went off road and cross country to escape. I rode the bus, hid the bike and bummed rides to avoid the stalker for a week, then finally told a county mountie the whole story including the license plate of the vehicle. He spoke to the driver... and assured me I would have no more trouble. I traded the bike in on a more powerful one - different color, new plates and forgot about it.

Years later an arrest was made... and I realized that I had driven to work on a rural road for over 2 years... where Jeffrey Daumer had lived as a teenager and young adult. I am glad I cannot connect those dots!

Anyway angering a stupid Or aggressive driver isn't wise. Be timid and forgettable.
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
I drive from northern Canada to Santa Cruz CA every November. The toughest part of each trip is through the Bay Area beginning in Fairfield 3 to 5 lanes most of the way. I always stay one lane out from the right curb lane. These are very very busy areas with lots of local traffic getting on and off the freeway. If youíre in the curb lane youíre constantly speeding up and slowing down and sometimes power braking when an off ramp is backed up onto the fwy. Worse, if youíre in the curb lane youíre blocking folks from getting on and off. Folks will jam in front of you then smash their brakes to make their off ramp etc. I think staying out of that lane is safer and more courteous, never mind the law. 2 lanes Iím on the curb. Incidentally, though Iím a 60 mile an hour guy most of the time on I-5, 680,and 580 I go with the flow of traffic even if itís over 70 as it often is even in rush hour traffic. Do much less than the flow and you become a hazard. CA is a flow of traffic state and you can be ticketed for blocking the flow despite the 55-while-towing posted speed limit
Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgofaz View Post
I'm with you, I avoid the right lane. It is is the 'get off-get on" lane and needs to be kept open for that traffic.
Not true and could land you a citation or accident,
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
so they haul donkeys in the center lane and push anybody that is in their way.[/QUOTE]

Well I have never pushed nor have I seen any other truck do that without an accident happening... You do realize that trucks are on a time schedule that you and other shoppers mandate?
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
They don't.

Is there a state that offers drivers training anymore?
Part of my job now is to administer Computer Based Training. Most folks just click through as fast as they can just so they can guess at the answers to the questions in the final. Gone are the days when I could have good discussions explaining the basics and answering questions. CBT is good for some stuff but a caring human being affects real change when layered on top.
But the upfront costs are less expensive, they finish in half the time, and I used for other things so a second person does need to be hired.

Matti
Most schools requirement for drivers teach is that they only have a drivers license, no education in driving.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
so they haul donkeys in the center lane and push anybody that is in their way.
Well I have never pushed nor have I seen any other truck do that without an accident happening... You do realize that trucks are on a time schedule that you and other shoppers mandate?[/QUOTE]

That's a wild reach to justify illegal and dangerous driving.

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote