Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
That video was scary!!! My Airstream is same size and it tows a Jeep...I would never try to pass on a two lane road like that. Its one reason we have passing lanes and or pit stops along the way to get away from folks like that.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:41 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

manchaca , Texas
Crazies

[QUOTE=SailorSam205;2053828]All the crazies aren't on the east coast. Video of a crazy Canadian in a MH with toad...

Sailor Sam:
I was not in your vehicle when this video happened so I cannot judge why you did what you did.
However, I want to add my 60 years of driving experience across 30 countries.
Many of us drive vehicles with working BRAKES. And in fact we use them when we find that there is a problem on the highway. So I would just like to remind all readers that if someone is trying to pass you like the FOOL in the video, the instant you recognize he is coming, you can apply your brakes hard and slow down as much as you want. We always try to not have the guy behind us run into us, but you would be surprised how well people stop when you do.
I have had road rage drivers threaten me and hound me and do all kinds of stupid stuff, but the instant I see what is going on with someone like that I immediately PULL OFF THE ROAD and STOP. 100% of the people harassing me have driven on by and NONE have ever come back. OR you can take the offramp with no notice or whatever----just stop the game of driving and doing stupid stuff.
So as I said, I cannot judge you Sailor Sam, but had I been driving, I would have slowed down so fast that the fella would not have been able to run into me trying to pull over as he would be WAY DOWN THE ROAD at the speed he was going.. Sam, you can always apply your brakes!!!
labans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:59 PM   #63

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by labans View Post

Sam, you can always apply your brakes!!!
Was in a situation like that once where I slammed on my brakes to let the idiot pass only to have the idiot slam on his also leaving us side by side still. Luckily, I also swerved to the right as far as I could. I do not think there is a right thing to do but maintain speed and move to the right.

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:30 AM   #64
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
[QUOTE=labans;2054294]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
All the crazies aren't on the east coast. Video of a crazy Canadian in a MH with toad...

Sailor Sam:
I was not in your vehicle when this video happened so I cannot judge why you did what you did.
Sam, you can always apply your brakes!!!
labans
I agree you can slow down and make room for the idiot. FWIW - I did not make the video, just saw it recently on another forum and thought it was apropos to this discussion... I have no idea why the blogger who posted the video didn't slow down, maybe he did, there may be comments on his blog site about it. He did say that it was impossible to pull onto the shoulder due to soft sand.
Stay safe out there!
Old 01-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
"Which lane" can be quite confusing. We try to choose depending on where we are. In cities and heavy traffic situations, it may be best to use one of the center lanes. Out in the middle of nowhere, it's probably best to use the right lane. You could also just follow a big rig, if it is traveling at your speed, (but not too close). They usually know which is the right lane to be in. (Note to self: Some big rig drivers are also not such great drivers)
joanbob27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
I've just had an eye opening realization. Being new here in the fl panhandle I'm still learning the patterns of local drivers.
Living a bit out in the country along a quiet but large four lane road, I've noticed that the local vehicles tend to drive in the left lane especially at night.
Also notice that many deer are hit along this road and that the deer are frenquently there along the forest border of the highway.

Then it dawned on me that most of the deer bodies are along the outside lanes near the forest.
So I've realized that staying in the left lane give more buffer from the deer.
Now I'm using this approach myself and keeping to the left lane and traveling a bit slower to reduce the risk. Have been overtaken by faster drivers who passed on my right, no doubt shaking there heads at the slow, passing lane hog.

Something to think about.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #67
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Here's some crazy on Christmas day.

https://www.facebook.com/ken.woodhea...9111808298527/

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Just curious, what lane do you drive in if there there three or more lanes?
I thought the center lane was the best choice until last week when a couple of semi's passing me on the right blew their horns as they passed. So I moved to the right lane but had to move over often for vehicles merging onto the highway.
Some states are ticketing if you are in the middle or left lanes and traffic passes you on the right. They will here in TN, the law says KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS OR TURN LEFT!
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
I've just had an eye opening realization. Being new here in the fl panhandle I'm still learning the patterns of local drivers.
Living a bit out in the country along a quiet but large four lane road, I've noticed that the local vehicles tend to drive in the left lane especially at night.
Also notice that many deer are hit along this road and that the deer are frenquently there along the forest border of the highway.

Then it dawned on me that most of the deer bodies are along the outside lanes near the forest.
Now I'm using this approach myself and keeping to the left lane and traveling a bit slower to reduce the risk. Have been overtaken by faster drivers who passed on my right, no doubt shaking there heads at the slow, passing lane hog.

Cheers Richard
If you are in the left lane and travel slower than other traffic, it is an invitation to a ticket and an accident
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post

Cheers Richard
After the EIGHTH deer we killed with a car.... I was the ONLY driver on a four-lane headed south towards Lampassas and I was on the inside-lane to avoid grazing deer occasionally on the roadside...when the only oncoming car turned out to be a State Trooper.... who turned around and stopped me and wrote me a warning citation for not being in the right hand lane "except for passing".
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
At least he was reasonable and it was only a warning...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
My thanks to Sarge and Boxite for the words of caution.
I do understand the laws and usually strictly adhearence to lane discipline.
While watching many others ignore it all together, with no concequences, other than jamming up other drivers, especially in traffic.

In this case there are so few other cars using this road and so many deer around that I'll probably continue this avoidance practice, unless there is more traffic or I see it causing difficulty for other drivers, I feel the higher risk is deer strike.

I could drive in the right hand lane but would feel that going even slower would be called for in that case, creating even a faster closing speed for overtaking drivers to deal with. I just came to this conclusion and will see how it works for a while.

There are allowances for special conditions that call for adjustments by drivers, fog, heavy rain, snow/ ice, and in this case lots of deers along the road. That's my story anyway, if asked.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I think the reason I haven't hit a deer in 40+ years of driving is those who insist on driving fast at night with their bright lights on take them out first. I love being passed by people who blind oncoming drivers, then slam on the brakes and drive 35 mph after they see a deer.

PS, the driver in the video could've slowed down to let the passing RV in from the looks of it. Lots of people nowadays speed up when being passed, for whatever reason that serves.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I often use Cruise-Control when towing and sometimes when beginning an up-hill slope the CC "lags" a bit and allows a slow-down of 3-5 mph before downshifting and applying power to recover the selected/desired speed.
During the "lag" period I've had following drivers hit-the-gas to pass ... just as the CC takes corrective action... and it may appear to the passing driver that I've decided to "race" him to avoid his passing. I've witnessed road-rage in that situation to the point of the passing driver sharply-swerving into my lane with insufficient clearance between his rear and my front bumper... which of course, requires me to hit the brakes... disabling my CC and losing momentum to gain-the-hill.
A little courtesy... and a little defensive-driving ... by all-concerned would be helpful to all.

If you observe a dangerous condition developing.... then for God's Sake... take action to relieve the hazard for everyone and let your anger take a vacation!
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #75
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I often use Cruise-Control when towing and sometimes when beginning an up-hill slope the CC "lags" a bit and allows a slow-down of 3-5 mph before downshifting and applying power to recover the selected/desired speed.
During the "lag" period I've had following drivers hit-the-gas to pass ... just as the CC takes corrective action... and it may appear to the passing driver that I've decided to "race" him to avoid his passing. I've witnessed road-rage in that situation to the point of the passing driver sharply-swerving into my lane with insufficient clearance between his rear and my front bumper... which of course, requires me to hit the brakes... disabling my CC and losing momentum to gain-the-hill.
A little courtesy... and a little defensive-driving ... by all-concerned would be helpful to all.

If you observe a dangerous condition developing.... then for God's Sake... take action to relieve the hazard for everyone and let your anger take a vacation!
Agreed. If someone passes me on an uphill just as my CC kicks back in to regain any speed it may have lost during an aforementioned lag, I kill the CC, let them pass, and then decide what I want to do next. No point getting mad about lost momentum or dang fool drivers trying to pass when they'd be better off hanging back. I'd rather lose a little momentum, and save a little gas going more slowly up the next hill, than lose something I cannot so easily replace.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Cruise Control lag time

I never use cruise control when hauling, as I prefer to feel each response the trailer and truck are having to road and environmental conditions.

However, when I do use CC for just driving the truck, I always hit the accelerator and immediately disengage the CC before approaching an incline. In that way, if another vehicle is next to me, I can hold back on an innocent acceleration that might be misconstrued as something else.

Twenty years a road cop and crime scene investigator has provided me some insight and experience both in dealing with road rage incidents and when and where using cruise control is not a good idea!
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
The new trucks have enough power to maintain speed up and down hills. I never have to touch the cruise. Much better than in the old days when cruise was mechanical and had a significant "lag".

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #78
gitano

1997 33' Land Yacht
Livingston , Texas
Clearing the road ahead

[QUOTE=Countryboy59;2054574]I think the reason I haven't hit a deer in 40+ years of driving is those who insist on driving fast at night with their bright lights on take them out first. I love being passed by people who blind oncoming drivers, then slam on the brakes and drive 35 mph after they see a deer.

I think of the crazies as sweeping the road ahead of me. Like everyone, I occasionally am pushing the top end of going too fast. That is when I welcome someone passing me at ten to twenty MPH faster. It reminds me to slow down and makes me wonder if I will see the idiot upside down in ditch up ahead somewhere.
glistok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
A little tip about deer. Momentarily kill head lights as they blind them, doing this gives them chance to flee. I have done this for 68 yrs. driving legally some before, never hit a deer or had accident doing this. My oldest son hit 1 deer and had one go under semi trailer behind tractor, this 35 yrs. legal plus more before. Driving semi 26 yrs. 2 non chargeable accidents, 1 when driver turned left when oncoming, t boned, other young driver went underneath trailer behind tractor in construction zone. When this in a hurry driver got out of hospital went to jail for various charges. So as others have posted slo down or let them go. If some finds fault about our driving before having license, ask how many boy and girls raised on farms have done this to haul wagons, other chores etc. and how many ever rec. tickets. NONE THAT I AM AWARE OF, as it's part of farm life
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #80
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Since deer have come up on this thread a few times, here is a link to GEICO deer safety tips: https://www.geico.com/more/driving/a...g-a-collision/

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote