Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2017, 02:32 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Atanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post
Left the Airstream in Florida and drove the car up to Atlanta for the Christmas holiday. Traveling I-75 and cruising at 75mph in a Lincoln Hybrid....I was shocked at how many crazy RV drivers passed me with trailers and fifth wheels at speeds of 80mph+...!! Fortunately none were Airstream owners or motorhomes but pulling RV's that fast is not very wise. In a few cases there were 2 in a row passing all of us in far left lanes.

Such brave soles they are....haha!!

For all the Airstream folks who traveled on the highways over the holidays....thanks for making an example of the RIGHT way to travel without putting others at risk!

Welcome to Atlanta
sunny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Just think the standard trailer tire has a maximum speed of 65 mph over that your traveling where angel fear to go.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:56 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
I'm with you, I avoid the right lane. It is is the 'get off-get on" lane and needs to be kept open for that traffic.
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgofaz View Post
I'm with you, I avoid the right lane. It is is the 'get off-get on" lane and needs to be kept open for that traffic.
The other problem is the right lane has often been destroyed by semis and unless you enjoy bone jarring potholes you'll get left.
I also find if I move center for others to merge, they pretend I'm invisible and drive right alongside me for 5 miles.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgofaz View Post
Slow traffic should use the right lane. Blocking the center lane effectively blocks two lanes since passing on the right is a bad idea. RVs definitely don't belong in the third (left) lane.

I never get why people merge at 45, immediately move to the center lane, then accelerate. If I'm in the right lane I time things so I pass them as they come down the ramp. And when I merge I floor it and make sure I'm up to speed to fit in traffic. However, if those in the right lane are doing 70 and following at less than a car length...something will have to give.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:44 PM   #26

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
“Yield” (meaning )

I don’t think they teach basic driving skills any longer.
They don't.

Is there a state that offers drivers training anymore?
Part of my job now is to administer Computer Based Training. Most folks just click through as fast as they can just so they can guess at the answers to the questions in the final. Gone are the days when I could have good discussions explaining the basics and answering questions. CBT is good for some stuff but a caring human being affects real change when layered on top.
But the upfront costs are less expensive, they finish in half the time, and I used for other things so a second person does need to be hired.

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
When I pull into a rest stop I often take a few minutes to walk around, stretch and chat with other RVers. Gotta be careful because many take offense even faster than they drive...

But now and then I can casually mention why I am feeling my tires and rims for heat... and "complain" about the cost of Michelins, but admit that it's better than having tires that are unsafe at any speed.

Once saw a SOB hitched so badly (front high) that the tires on the rear axle were too hot to touch... Rookie owner who didn't have a clue about adjusting a hitch. Another person jumped into the conversation ... and the two of us got the trailer much closer to level... with plenty of good general education thrown in. The rookie seemed grateful and promised to get a piece with a longer drop ASAP.

REAL problem... highways too busy to even HAVE SPEED TRAPS... or drivers who fear being pulled over.

Paula
Old 01-01-2018, 06:01 AM   #28
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Three defensive driving rules to remember:

(1) Stupidity always has the right of way;

(2) Never put yourself in a position where only the other driver's skill can prevent an accident. (In other words, don't be stupid.)

(3) If you have to break the law to avoid an accident, do it. A ticket costs a lot less than a funeral.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:15 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
This may be a good time to insert the information that on-ramp traffic now does not always have to legally yield to the right lane. This all changed with the zip/merge.

In my opinion, this change was a major change in rules of the road that has not been communicated well. I learned about it here a few yeas ago. Apparently, because too many drivers now don't understand the concept of what it means to yield, the legal obligation to yield has been removed on many on-ramps. The yield signs have been removed. (less $ on signs), and the merging traffic signs have been replaced by the zipper merge sign.

So now if you are on the main thoroughfare and have an on-ramp joining the main road, there is no legal "right of way". Basically you now do have to worry, and worry a lot, about on-ramp traffic just pulling into you.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:27 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
What state is that? Not Florida or any statebetween here and ohio that i have seen. So once again stupid wins out!!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #31
Rivet Master

People lose their minds if they are behind me.

Even when I am just driving the van.

I was on a four hour trip. A lady HAD to be in front of me, but only wanted to drive 50 MPH. I went 50 MPH for a while then stopped for a long lunch.

At night some people like to be behind me, but only if a headlight is broken and they need to use high beams.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Now thats funny!
Old 01-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Crazy Christmas RV Drivers

Funny/sad but true. Especially in California lately. Plus the one behind you that hits their horn 3.5 milliseconds after the light changes to green. That one gets ignored if I’m at the wheel. I check both ways on green because of the late yellow/red sprinters....endemic around here.

Defensive driving, particularly with an AS in tow is the only way to survive. As Protagonist puts it, stupid has the right of way. I’ll get there when I get there. “On time” is optional, IMHO.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:01 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
Is there a state that offers drivers training anymore?
Reminds me of when I first moved to Florida. I came from snow and ice and in Florida, my insurance rates doubled!
I was driving down the interstate and came upon a high school driver's training car going 40 in the left lane.
"A teachable moment" I thought. So as I came up to the DT car, I flashed my lights. Nothing. I waited. Nothing. I blew the horn. Nothing. The final insult is when I saw the INSTRUCTOR reach up and adjust his mirror so he could see me better!!! They NEVER moved over to allow me to pass.
I finally passed them on the right and made some rude gesture. I considered following them to their school and giving the teacher *^%&$#@!
Welcome to Florida, where they teach bad driving habits.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:59 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Being in the right lane in a construction zone is what caused damage my Airstream. Was traveling the PA Turnpike at night enroute to Hershy. Got closely boxed in by 3 semi trucks and the lanes started shifting due to construction, might add the pavement was very uneven, rough with dips and I hit the guardrail. The sound sent shivers through me!! Finally got off the road expecting to find the worst...instead, no damage to the Jeep and a black line down 3 compartment doors plus a broken dock light.

Have not fixed it yet....its like my badge of courage and always brings on interesting chats at the campground.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:22 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Reminds me of when I first moved to Florida. I came from snow and ice and in Florida, my insurance rates doubled!
I was driving down the interstate and came upon a high school driver's training car going 40 in the left lane.
"A teachable moment" I thought. So as I came up to the DT car, I flashed my lights. Nothing. I waited. Nothing. I blew the horn. Nothing. The final insult is when I saw the INSTRUCTOR reach up and adjust his mirror so he could see me better!!! They NEVER moved over to allow me to pass.
I finally passed them on the right and made some rude gesture. I considered following them to their school and giving the teacher *^%&$#@!
Welcome to Florida, where they teach bad driving habits.
The instructor was probably a transplanted yankee!
Old 01-02-2018, 06:02 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
This may be a good time to insert the information that on-ramp traffic now does not always have to legally yield to the right lane. This all changed with the zip/merge.

In my opinion, this change was a major change in rules of the road that has not been communicated well. I learned about it here a few yeas ago. Apparently, because too many drivers now don't understand the concept of what it means to yield, the legal obligation to yield has been removed on many on-ramps. The yield signs have been removed. (less $ on signs), and the merging traffic signs have been replaced by the zipper merge sign.

So now if you are on the main thoroughfare and have an on-ramp joining the main road, there is no legal "right of way". Basically you now do have to worry, and worry a lot, about on-ramp traffic just pulling into you.
Zipper merge applies to lane reductions as in construction zones. Yield sign or not, merging traffic has to adjust speed to fit in. Most ramps I've seen never had a yield sign.

I still move over for semi trucks but adjusting speed slightly works in most cases. If the person merging is going much slower than traffic I can usually get past them and avoid a conflict.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:21 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Years ago while traveling to AL I went by Bristol Motor Speedway at the end of the race. Traffic was moving well and then I noticed not one but two 5th wheels, large ones flashing their lights in the left lane and going between 65-80, pushing 80 most of the time if they could. Twenty miles further I noticed one or more tires had exploded and the treads were everywhere, and then there they were, both 5th wheels on the side, one with one blown tire and the other with two.

Always reminds me when I get "comfortable" and push the F350 with our 30' Classic behind just a bit, to temper the speed. 65mph with this set up seems pretty good, BUT, if I get it down to 59 it seems to be the magic number and fuel consumption goes way down.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:41 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
I did not know that about the zip/merge law change. Geez Louise! Thank you very much for the update.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:27 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
http://txdotsanantonio.blogspot.com/...-rude.html?m=1

It's a recommendation for construction zones. I couldn't find a single reference for a "law". Traffic on the freeway has right of way.

People already slam on the brakes for merging traffic. We don't need to make it worse.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel