Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Colter Bay, Grand Tetons N. P.

Say, I would like to hear comments, pro and con, about Colter Bay Campground and Colter Bay RV Park. We will be pulling a 22' International. It has solar so boondocking can work for us, but AC is nice too. This will be in mid Sept. We will have a small dog who can be a light sleeper. The adult children will be staying in the cabins, tent cabins are arlready closed by then. We plan to stay 4-6 days. Any comments from anyone on one or both of these campgrounds? This will be our first long trip, thanks, Jim
J Goertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Goertzen View Post
Say, I would like to hear comments, pro and con, about Colter Bay Campground and Colter Bay RV Park. We will be pulling a 22' International. It has solar so boondocking can work for us, but AC is nice too. This will be in mid Sept. We will have a small dog who can be a light sleeper. The adult children will be staying in the cabins, tent cabins are arlready closed by then. We plan to stay 4-6 days. Any comments from anyone on one or both of these campgrounds? This will be our first long trip, thanks, Jim
Jim,

We stayed at the Coulter Bay campground for one night on our way to Bozeman this year. Typical NP campground, dry camping. All sites were pull through on the side of the driveway. Be careful about solar with all of the trees. I thought that the RV park was too expensive about $55 per night compared to $18 for the NP campground. Several members of our unit stayed at the RV park, but one site was so unlevel that they had to unhook to level the trailer. We had no such issues in our site.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I just came back from Yellowstone tonight. We stayed in Coulter Bay a few years ago, but since then have found that we're happier in non-power locations. Coulter Bay is nice as power sites go, but I'd agree with Bill that it isn't worth the $55.00 per night that they charge. If I were to stay in Grand Teton I'd go with the dry camping area at Coulter Bay. I don't think you'd need AC in sept., we didn't need it in July. If I were to recommend a campground in Yellowstone I'd go with Grant Village.
Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Goertzen View Post
..... but AC is nice too. This will be in mid Sept.
In mid Sept, you will be more worried about the furnace working nights than air.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:41 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Pacerized...

Hey there, we were camped two rows away from you guys at Colter Bay in the 30 Safari. I agree about the no need for a/c, but have you guys checked other campground rates in the area!! We looked at the KOA, yellowstone west entrance and they wanted 68 bucks a night for no sewer and 5 bucks additonal for each child, which is 20 bucks a night for us.

It is nice to have the 30A service if you have a heat pump to save your gas for heat. But I guess for 55/night you can buy alot of gas!!
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for replies

Hey Folks, thanks for the information about Colter Bay, I will be calling them today about reservations for the cabin for the adult "kids" meeting us there, we will no doubt be staying at the Colter Bay Campground dry camping and have plenty of gas for the heater, we love the cold anyway. Now, to get information on camprounds for the way home via Colo on Intersate 25 to Northern New Mexico, and campgrounds in Northern New Mexico near Taos, then Interstate 40 back to California! Thanks again, Jim
J Goertzen is offline   Reply With Quote