Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2004, 08:12 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Question Grand Tour

I am in the early stage of planning a grand tour. New England, New Foundland, Alaska, Calf, Florida, like that. I have a 68 Caravel in excellent condition (when the axel is changed). However, I don't think this will be marriage friendly for a year long trip. So, I am looking for a vintage AS to rebuild for the trip, lighter, smaller wind cross section, more attention .
I like the space of 30' but 25/27 seems more driver friendly, ferry friendly, ect.
My joy would be a 56 overlander for the space and weight once rebuilt with extra tanks and new axels.
Those of you who have done the New Foundland or Alaska or other long hauls could maybe give your opinion on size and tactics for such a trip.
Thanks
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 10:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Grand Tour

If you are looking for small/lighter there is also another option - - the Argosy Minuet series. Aslo, with the painted exterior there is less worry about damage from travel on gravel roads - - one of the reasons that I am putting off the repaint on my Minuet is a planned trip to Alaska. If you are looking for something in the 25' range, the largest Minuet was a 24' tandem axle Minuet 7.3 Metre - - 3,820 pounds empty weight with an empty hitch weight of 500 pounds - - and only 7' wide (8" narrower than the standard line) outside height of 8' 5.5" (4.5" shorter than standard line), and interior height 6' 4" (3" less than standard line). I haven't found definitive information regarding date of introduction (probably around 1977) and the last year was evidently 1979. The Minuet 7.3 was available with either center twins or center double as seen in the floorplan below:

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Re: Grand Tour

Quote:
Originally posted by psychpw
My joy would be a 56 overlander for the space and weight once rebuilt with extra tanks and new axels.
Ask and ye shall receive! '56 Overlander on eBay

It's not mine, but I can tell from the location and seller info that it's from Vintage Trailers Plus. Mr. Blair is a nice guy and will probably work with you to get just what you need. He'd sold some to Craig Dorsey before, incluing the Silver Streak that was redone for actor Billy Campbell I believe.

Good luck!
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 01:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
That's one I'm looking at. Thanks for the info on the dude. It's hard to see the underparts from Conn. Got name from the forum of someone who may be able to check it out. Need to get it down to Andy for new axel so need the frame to be worth the money.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote