Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
JCW,

Thanks for the compliment. Millimeters and centimeters and centigrade (now Celsius) just are too much for my aged brain. I know about 2 1/2 to the inch, but I can't remember if that is mm. or cm. I can go through the conversion to fahrenheit: multiply by 1.8 and add 32, but by the time I am adding 32, i may have forgotten the number I am adding it to and then stick my hand out the door. I have noticed that carpenters in Canada are still using the inch system and that generally older people understand miles, but younger ones go blank when I say "miles". I think using the metric system makes a lot of sense, but wait until I am dead.
As you have noted, we are more metric than the USA. However we are less metric than Europe. We still buy two-by-fours and plywood in 4x8 sheets. Grocery prices are advertised by the cost per pound with the cost per kg in smaller print below.

There are few easy-to-remember benchmarks when it comes to temperature.
-40 is the same in both systems.
0°C is 32°F
4°C is 40°F
16°C is 61°F
28°C is 82°F
40°C is 104°F
I found this (Half Measures) to be an interesting look at the metric system in America. I was especially surprised to learn that some American companies have separate production lines and warehouses for their metric (export) and non-metric (domestic) products.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #62
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Yeh, it is confusing. Some even confuse mm. and cm. I notice Canadians pronounce kilometers as "KILL-o-meters" instead of "kil-OM-eters" as the French intended. I think vehicles are entirely metric because they are sold all over the world. I suspect the same is true of electronics. But some plywood is sized metric in thickness while the sheets are still 4x8. Half inch is usually something like 15/32—they save a little wood and we get less plywood for the same price. I would be lost if I had to do measurements for remodeling in the metric system.

Back in the 70's when I was working in city government I would draft ordinances with both inch and metric values figuring eventually the US would switch, but in the 1980's the US government was very anti-metric. Since then changes to metric have been made by companies selling worldwide, but otherwise, progress has been slow.

It has been a few years since we went to Canada, but for while we were there every year. We've been to all 10 provinces and two territories. Nunavut is impossible to get to by road, so we are waiting for the bulldozer. I hope to go next year and complete our tour of Vancouver Island (was sick the last time we were there, so we missed part) and get together with friends there.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
Fyi. I believe my GM tow vehicle will change over to kilometers from miles by just resetting a configurable setting. Also many vehicle speedometers, even the analog ones, will show mph on the major face and kph on the inner face on a different scale.

That was one thing when I have been to great white north that was bothering, how to be sure I was driving the speed limit
Al U. Minium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I notice Canadians pronounce kilometers as "KILL-o-meters" instead of "kil-OM-eters" as the French intended.
I hear it pronounced both ways and sometimes slip up myself, but I always figured it should be pronounced following the pattern of centimetre, millimeter and kilogram. The "aw-metter" ending is for tools that measure such as thermometer, hydrometer and hygrometer.

You've seen a lot of Canada! I have yet to get to the Northwest Territories, but that and Nunavut are on my list. Nunavut will be a fly-in of course because as you noted there are no roads that lead there. Even the communities in Nunavut are not connected by road to each other. I think the closest you can drive to Nunavut is still over 600 miles away, so don't hold hold your breath on that bulldozer!

Old 09-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Just a bit of information regarding use of propane in Manitoba. It is legal to operate your fridge on propane while in transit, as well as any other propane burning appliance. But, remember to turn it OFF while refueling!! Happy travels in Canada!!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:10 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Re: "Sirius radio will work near the border as will RV satellite receivers. How far, I don't know."

We found good Sirius/XM coverage across Canada until the Yukon when it became very spotty. In Dawson City, we could receive it maybe 10% of the time. As far as I recall, even northern B.C. had decent reception.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:09 PM   #67
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
From southern BC with forays into the US we listen to Sirius XM a lot. The one problem in either locale is sometimes dense woods, cliffs, or an urban canyon effect temporarily blocking the signal.

A lot of touristy places in Canada will take US money, and then ATMs are about as ubiquitous as in the US.

Just another odd difference is that dates are written British style, the reverse of in the US. Sept 20 is 20/9, vs. 9/20.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:54 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Grant

You're right re mm vs inches. I was thinking cm but didn't want to confuse the thread users with another term...so confused myself!!!

Funny thing ...I look after the pool in my seniors community. We exclusively use Fahrenheit for temp recordings yet everyone talks about the weather in Metric.

Years ago Kraft Foods in the US said they would save millions if the US went metric. Never happened of course, but in Candra they just use the metric system to routinely reduce package sizes and hold the original price. Bacon and coffee are no longer sold in 1 lb equivalent packages for example.
As you and others have noted we routinely use bench marks to compare the two scales but eventually we get to know for daily temps, 20 C is cool and 25C is warm and 30 C is hot (68, 77, 86 for our American friends)

Cool thread...has become more than just Border crossings
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #69
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Gene. I think you answered you own question re: why they confiscate fruit more often on the US side. They get better fruit in Canada so then what they confiscate today depends on what they are having for lunch. TODAY.

Just kidding of course. Yes, we've had things taken. The list changes so it's hard to keep up with it. I get it but it is frustrating sometimes.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #70
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Any time you use an ATM (anywhere) fees can be a "surprise". Toss in currency exchange issues and it's surprise after surprise. Here in the US, there are various groupings of banks that impact (= reduce for in network) some of the fees. There are also independents with their own "unique" fee structure.

So - do any of these ATM networks extend over the boarder? I've never done the research ....

Bob ( to lazy to use Google ...)
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:18 PM   #71
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Actually, Canada doesn't have the agricultural industry that the US has. One thing
about Canada is that it has no South. It's all North. Northeast, Northwest, True North: but no California or southern states' ability to grow a lot of table-ready produce year-round. With so many agricultural pests sneaking in from other countries, I don't blame the US for being extra careful.

Speaking of food, visitors to Canada might wish to test their culinary IQ: can you properly define poutine, butter tarts, Nanaimo bars, Coffee Crisp or Smarties? What would you order at Timmie's? (Named after which athlete?)

Also, if you're coming through Quebec, time to brush up on your French. At least get a phrase book that guides you through highway signs.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:24 AM   #72
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Somehow I can't ever remember running into a food shortage in Canada .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Once going into the US when they asked about fruit my wife said we had bananas. The officer told us that we'd have to leave them there unless we could prove they're grown in the US. My wife asked, "Do we even grow bananas in America?" He paused for a moment and said "have a good trip".

Old 09-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Once going into the US when they asked about fruit my wife said we had bananas. The officer told us that we'd have to leave them there unless we could prove they're grown in the US. My wife asked, "Do we even grow bananas in America?" He paused for a moment and said "have a good trip".
There is some banana production in Hawaii, but it is far outstripped in magnitude by Central American production.
TheOhioSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:16 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioSean View Post
There is some banana production in Hawaii, but it is far outstripped in magnitude by Central American production.
Even Canada grows bananas!
Meet the farmers growing bananas in Ontario.
You can buy them in some farmer's markets.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:01 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
we have crossed by boat, private plane and AS. If you just have personal stores the only items to be wary of are alcohol, tobacco and fruit. They limit quantities on the first two. apples wont be allowed in but you can eat them and toss the core there. check the local list it may be different for each coast. even our bar was not a problem as long as the bottles were open so it was clearly personal use and not subject to sale.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Jackson , Mississippi
Hi y’all! We are planning a trip to Canada as part of our summer road trip this upcoming summer. We’re hoping to leave Glacier NP and head into Canada from that area and head to Banff for a few days before then traveling back to the States, entering by way of Idaho.

All these lists & tips are super helpful, but is there any particular paperwork we will need for the Airstream for entering Canada &/or returning?

Thanks in advance!
Slide Out Society #72

Exploring the country in our beloved Monkey Barrel
nomadleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #78
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadleslie View Post
Hi y’all! We are planning a trip to Canada as part of our summer road trip this upcoming summer. We’re hoping to leave Glacier NP and head into Canada from that area and head to Banff for a few days before then traveling back to the States, entering by way of Idaho.

All these lists & tips are super helpful, but is there any particular paperwork we will need for the Airstream for entering Canada &/or returning?

Thanks in advance!
No, just have your ownership/title and proof of insurance, just in case; highly doubtful either side would ever ask for it.

Should you be taking a pet across the border, you will possibly be asked for a bill of good health and up to date vaccination report.

Just remember, no firearms, ammunition, pepper spray and you'll be fine.

Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:29 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
We have crossed over into Canada at the Waterton Park border station twice now, and have found the agents very friendly and without a lot of drama. Just be aware that this crossing is not open 24 hours so plan your trip accordingly by checking the operating times.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #80
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Nomad',

Passport. There are cards that can be used, but eerily only people living near the border get those. Rifles (long guns in Canadian parlance) are allowed if you are on a hunting trip—check Canada regs on that carefully.

You can get rebates on certain taxes if you spend enough for some things and are willing to fill out forms and collect receipts and send them to Canada after you get home. I have gotten as much as $80 back, so it can be worth it if you spend enough time (I think lodging is not included), so check regs.

The broader stations near Glacier/Waterton and in Idaho are usually pretty quiet, but we once ran in to a 30 minute delay. Why? I don't know—maybe everyone decided to go that way that day.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote