Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Boondocking near Buena Vista, Salida, Crested Butte

We will be taking a week long jaunt this summer and will be taking the 23FB down to Southwest CO for the Bike Tour de Colorado. We prefer campsites that are not in RV parks but within driving distance (7-15 miles) from the towns listed (Buena Vista, Salida, Crested Butte).

Do you have any recommendations for sites that would be more private/pretty near these towns - we have boondocking gear. We don't mind places that are more remote with hookups but the RV parks just are not our cup of tea. Bonus points for sites that are along the Arkansas river or other fly fishing havens.

Thanks for any recommendations that you may have!

Also - has anyone stayed at the Railroad Bridge CG near US 24 south of Buena Vista with their AS? Curious if it is doable with a 23' AS.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
We stay near CB in Taylor Canyon where there are several nice CG's. One Mile CG is good and has electric hookup and water is available, but you can not keep it hooked to the trailer so you can fill up the tank and disconnect the hose. We also like Lottis Creek CG which was recently redone and also has water and electric service. No dumping at any of the CG's in Taylor Canyon but there's one dump up past Taylor Res or in Gunnison at the RV Park in town. They did have road work in the canyon last year and it was a bit of a pain in the butt getting around due to road construction (lots of noise too) and I'm not sure if they completed this work or not. You may want to check on it to make sure they are done. If they are still doing the roadwork I'd go a different direction and stay out of the Taylor Canyon.

Have fun,

Bigcgar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3783727385.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	727.7 KB
ID:	179999   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1214145880.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	487.7 KB
ID:	180001  

Name:	image-1494742706.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	778.9 KB
ID:	180002  
Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
Oh I forgot to mention the Taylor River is a great fly fishing river, catch and release.. It can get busy and they do have several miles you can't fish because it's on private land/water (another discussion all together). here is one I caught last summer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-799538615.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	180004   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2398698194.jpg
Views:	1044
Size:	587.8 KB
ID:	180005  

Old 02-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Get Allstays app for your ipad or phone. It seems to list everything. If planning to stay at any National Forest Campgrounds in that area (some are very very nice) call the number listed for the Forest District listed for the campground you pick out, and ask the person answering about if it is open, and how busy it may be. I have found some are really busy and some can be closed for repairs or renovations.

In the Salida area, the visitor center has a dump station and water available, with a $5 donation. It is well worth it, as the Forest Service campgrounds in that area seem not to have any dump stations or water fill. One FS campground I did find was charging something like $10 for a very poor dump station and no water was available. BTW, there may be space available at the Fairgrounds in Salida. We had the Vintage Rally there a couple of years ago, and it looked like they had some hookup sites, but I am not sure of the deal on them. We used the field. Call the Fairgrounds to check on that one.

I am with you, I far prefer rustic or FS parks to virtually any private campground.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
If you are really into boondocking, go west on U.S.50 west out of Salida about 5 miles. go north on paved rode till it turns to gravel on BLM land. Go to top of ridge and east to the drop-off and dry camp. You will be overlooking the whole Arkansas River valley all by yourself.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcgar View Post
We stay near CB in Taylor Canyon where there are several nice CG's. One Mile CG is good and has electric hookup and water is available, but you can not keep it hooked to the trailer so you can fill up the tank and disconnect the hose. We also like Lottis Creek CG which was recently redone and also has water and electric service.

Have fun,

Bigcgar
Thanks, Bigcgar. We stayed at Rosy CG a few years ago so I know where one mile is. Nice catch! Does the river get crowded by One Mile given the campground directly across from it?
Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
If you are really into boondocking, go west on U.S.50 west out of Salida about 5 miles. go north on paved rode till it turns to gravel on BLM land. Go to top of ridge and east to the drop-off and dry camp. You will be overlooking the whole Arkansas River valley all by yourself.
Wow - sounds wonderful. Any landmarks for paved road that you go north on? Is there a decent turnaround near the drop off (we have a 23FB). Thanks!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
No the river isn't crowded by one mile. It mainly up near the spillway where the hogs are in the river. Lots of very large smart fish.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
Wow - sounds wonderful. Any landmarks for paved road that you go north on? Is there a decent turnaround near the drop off (we have a 23FB). Thanks!
Looking at the Google
map, it should be CR 250. Plenty of turnaround. But the gravel road does turn into two-track on the BLM on the way up. Still quite passible. It's no big deal for our 25' FB.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
2012 dodge 4x4 diesel

1975 Argosy 22
Truckee , California
hello, Taylor Creek canyon mentioned above is very pretty. I even had a phone and internet connection at the campgound with electric. All the campgrounds up the canyon are either on the river or acorss the street. I also stayed a few days at Taylor reservoir at the rv park campground. nice open moutain views.
In Crested Butte is you want to Boondock there's a gorgeous area up out of town about 5 miles. You go through town towards a trail/area called snodgrass (popular hiking/biking trail). if you keep going the road past the marked trail you'll start seeing the occasional camper. Also, if not too early in the season the pass that takes you north, I think its called Kebner, or Klebner pass.There's some remote campgrounds up there. They were still closed when I drove it.
gypsybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks, Gypsybanker!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Hecla Junction

I stay at Hecla Junction--one of the Arkansas Headwaters Campgrounds--once or twice a year. No hookups or water available, but right on the river with great views. The fishing is pretty good, but this is a major river rafting pullout. So, you have to cast between waves of boats. Hiking in the area is also very good.
Doug2009FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
One mile has a busy rafting pullout and a lot of trees and bushes that make fly-fishing very difficult. Road noise is pretty bad also since the entire campground runs parallel with the road.
Doug2009FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2009FC View Post
One mile has a busy rafting pullout and a lot of trees and bushes that make fly-fishing very difficult. Road noise is pretty bad also since the entire campground runs parallel with the road.
Thanks for the insight. Gotta love this forum!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We elk hunted in the Taylor Creek area outside Gunnison for several years.The Mosca Campground is a neat spot in a fairly remote area.

One may also camp on Forest Service land outside the campground.

I know it is the other side of the range from Salida, but a neat spot none the less.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote