Old 09-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #1387
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob, I got my Canon with all sorts of extras in a kit on Amazon. You could have it overnighted to your CG. The Canon Rebel series have been very good cameras and it came with 2 telephoto lenses. But I know smartphone cameras have become very good too, although they seem so uncameralike to me.

Gene

Old 09-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #1388
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Bob, I got my Canon with all sorts of extras in a kit on Amazon. You could have it overnighted to your CG. The Canon Rebel series have been very good cameras and it came with 2 telephoto lenses. But I know smartphone cameras have become very good too, although they seem so uncameralike to me.

Gene
I don't know much about cameras either. However common logic tells me that smartphone cameras lenses must be far inferior to Canon SLR lenses.

Ken

Old 09-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #1389
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Lee has a Canon DSLR camera with lenses, but I like pocket cameras now. I have a Sony with 20 X zoom and it has worked for several years. Now the electronics act up and there are spots on the pictures, mostly when zoomed. The one hate thing is that you can't see the screen. I'm Looking at a Panasonic with a 30 X zoom and a built in electronic view finder. [also a screen] Nothing worse than aiming and shooting to find out later that you missed all or part of what you wanted.

Today was the first day that I tried to use my portable printer and it worked perfect.

We went into Freeport and the big thing there is L L Bean; They have a huge store and several separate stores all in the same area. I didn't buy anything, but I was impressed. Nice little town. Bought some more Lobster last night and Lee made us a Lobster omelet. There is a McDonalds there that looks like a Victorian building. Really nice looking. I bet it was very hard to convince this town to let them build a McDonalds.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #1390
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Smartphone pics

It is really easy to upload pictures taken from a smartphone....don't have to transfer to a computer to share...having done photography for years---remember film?.....I find I really like the ease of using my phone and it is so much smaller.....maybe my eyes are growing dim but they look pretty good to me. With something like a 16 megapixel rear phone.....it is pretty good. I left my big SLR at home this trip. It is important to upload everything to a cloud in case you lose your phone or drop it in the toilet....don't ask me how I know. Paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #1391
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
SteSpot,

I too have taken many recent photos with my Android Turbo w/ 21mega pix. No more constant downloading onto the computer and so easy to post into the forum or into a text or email.

Would love a Fuji X100 to replace my small Canon Sureshot but carrying one thing, the phone, sure make quick pics easy cheesy.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #1392
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Bob, Lee, and Dusty's Random Trips

The best camera is the one you have with you. Many times (with children or wildlife, etc.) the opportunity for a memorable image is fleeting at best. I often carry a relatively bulky DLSR, but I always have the iPhone in my pocket. Many of the newer iPhone and Android cameras are capable of taking great photos considering they are point and shoot and for many it is a good choice and as previously mentioned makes it simple to post photos online. Some are unaware that the volume button on the side of the iPhone functions as the shutter making it easy to capture one handed images by simply aiming and squeezing.

Spots that appear on the same place in a series of images are often caused by a speck of something on or a fault in the sensor. They often blend into the background of a busy image but are noticeable in a solid area such as sky or a mono-colored background. It is difficult if not impossible to clean the sensor on some cameras that don't a have removable lens. The image can be fixed in "post processing" so it is not a total loss. A good free program that is available for both Windows and Mac is Google Picasa has among its many features a Retouch function that does a good job of removing blemishes. There are also smartphone apps that will do the job, but I personally prefer to edit with a bigger screen.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #1393
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1441841139.250119.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	247724

The link mentioned in this screenshot may be useful to find when and where the leaves are best for peeping in Maine. There are other similar pages as well as apps for a smart phone/tablet. The timing and degree of change varies from year to year and is as predictable as the weather. A bad year is still great, but a good year can be absolutely spectacular. Western Maine can be better than Downeast for Fall colors. If you can catch the peak along the Kancamagus Hwy (Rt112) between Conway and Lincoln NH, it will be worthwhile and possibly on up through the notch to Franconia. Beware, the turnouts on the Kancamagus are part of the state park system and require a vehicle pass to stop in them subject to fines and the park rangers do their due diligence! There is no room in the turnouts for a trailer and for that reason and the number of fellow leaf peepers on the road, I would highly recommend you find a basecamp and make day trips from it.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #1394
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The best peeping is where others aren't. The states are close together and using the trailer as a base slightly ahead of the best colors will make driving much better. Lots and lots of people will be peeping, especially on weekends. You will need reservations and prices will be boosted. Stay on back roads. You will have the newest jack in the CG no matter how it goes.

The phone/camera is fast. By the time I remember where the camera is, take off the lens cover, turn it on, have the lens adjust and then think about pushing the button, whatever it was no longer is. I still like what feels like a camera and have far more options for telephoto and clarity. I've been using SLR cameras for 45 years and reflex cameras for more than 60 years, so I guess I'm a Luddite. I can take photos with my iPad and have used it a few times. I can't figure out how to get those particular photos off the iPad though.

Bob, I remember your last camera quest, hope this goes better and quicker.

Gene
Old 09-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #1395
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
It is really easy to upload pictures taken from a smartphone....don't have to transfer to a computer to share...having done photography for years---remember film?.....I find I really like the ease of using my phone and it is so much smaller.....maybe my eyes are growing dim but they look pretty good to me. With something like a 16 megapixel rear phone.....it is pretty good. I left my big SLR at home this trip. It is important to upload everything to a cloud in case you lose your phone or drop it in the toilet....don't ask me how I know. Paula
Hi, we still use dumb phones; They do take pictures, but we seldom use them for that. I never re-use my memory cards. I save them all.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #1396
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Pictures?

Hi, Would you believe that the first two pictures are of a McDonald's? Cool as a Moose in Maine; But still quite warm. Lee made a lobster omelet this morning and lobster fettuccine for dinner. I made an order on line and thought that it was time to make a print with my HP portable printer; It worked perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00526RS.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	247730   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00527RS.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	247731  

Name:	DSC00528RS.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	247732   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00530RS.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	247733  

Name:	DSC00529RS.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	247734  

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #1397
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
The best peeping is where others aren't. The states are close together and using the trailer as a base slightly ahead of the best colors will make driving much better. Lots and lots of people will be peeping, especially on weekends. You will need reservations and prices will be boosted. Stay on back roads. You will have the newest jack in the CG no matter how it goes.

The phone/camera is fast. By the time I remember where the camera is, take off the lens cover, turn it on, have the lens adjust and then think about pushing the button, whatever it was no longer is. I still like what feels like a camera and have far more options for telephoto and clarity. I've been using SLR cameras for 45 years and reflex cameras for more than 60 years, so I guess I'm a Luddite. I can take photos with my iPad and have used it a few times. I can't figure out how to get those particular photos off the iPad though.

Gene
Hi, it might take longer to find a camera due to the lack of stores; It's hard to even find a market in some areas. We found one today, but they changed the name so we drove right past it. And it took about ten miles to turn around, and that's without the trailer. Without a GPS, I would be more lost. Yes, even with a GPS, I get lost.

Here is another picture of McDonalds and my camera spots in the Sky.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00523RS.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	247735  

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-10-2015, 01:10 AM   #1398
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:

Gene
There are a lot of ways to transfer them. However the easiest way to do it without research is to email them to yourself.

Ken
Old 09-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #1399
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
that's what I do, the e-mail thing... haven't figured anything else out yet???
Old 09-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #1400
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Re: Last two posts. I wanted to delete some photos on my iPad—these were ones I took on it, not ones transferred to it. Tried it, they left, then came back. Decided it has something to do with voodoo and best to live with it.

Bob, I repeat, buy it online, have them overnight it to you at a CG. Probably cost less than at a camera shop and that may be why camera stores have gone away. If my camera stops working, I guess I'm supposed to throw it away, but it cost too much. Good that your old one is still working.

Gene