Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #1681
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Rally Canceled.

Hi, well we canceled our once a year rally at Jackson Rancheria, in Northern California, this year. It was to start on October 1st. We would take three days to get there, four days there and three days to get back home. We are fine and our truck and trailer are good to go, but with viruses, fires, crossing state lines, and riots going on, we decided to sit this one out.

Mean-while I have a small area where Lee keeps some plants that she doesn't want to freeze this winter, so she asked me to make her a Green House. The space is small and it's between the garden shed and the picket fence. The green house is basically two pieces and can be taken apart and stored in the garage in about five minutes or less. Six screws and two wooden pegs is all that holds it in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000718RS.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	379463   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000715RS.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	453.8 KB
ID:	379464  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:03 AM   #1682
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Three Quarters.

Hi, we are still unable to really go anywhere with our trailer. I set up my Oil filled heater with a thermostaically controlled outlet adapter. This will help keep my trailer from getting too cold this winter. I also did this last year. We decided to sell Lee's BMW X-3 because it was just sitting and not being used; One of my daughters bought it. With the BMW out of the garage, my wife suggested that we keep the truck in the garage so the green stuff won't grow on it. I never had that problem in Southern California, But my vehicles that are left outside all got the green stuff on them, including my trailer. I clean my trailer once in a while to get rid of the green stuff before it gets too bad. Right now, my Lincoln has some green stuff on it. I will clean it later. After about eight hours of work, I finally made room to park my F-150 in the garage. I had to relocate four storage shelves and re-arrange everything on them.

While in the garage I was able to spray wax my truck. Looks nice now. But I have a Mickey Mouse concern. About two years ago I was checking my air filter and found mouse droppings in the air box. I cleaned it out and glued dryer sheets to my new air filter. Since then, I haven't had any more mouse droppings in the air box. Since my truuck will spend a lot of time in the garage, I bought another Battery Tender for it. [I have one for my trailer] I noticed a few mouse droppings on the top of my battery. For some reason the mice seem to like my truck. For the first time ever, I decided to remove and clean the plastic cover on the engine. I expected to see evidence of mice there. Mice are known for chewing wires on engines. The plastic engine cover has a thick piece of insulation on the bottom side and when I got it off I saw a clump of insulation. This means the mouse was in there too. I ripped off the clump of insulation and noticed a few mouse droppings in there. I used a bright flash light to see if there was any damage or dead mice etc. I did not find anything. I stuffed two sheets of dryer sheets in the gap of each side of my intake manifold hoping this will also keep the mice out of my truck. I glued a new dryer sheet onto my air filter too. So with no active mice on or in my truck it should be safe for storage in my garage. I think the mice gained access because it was stored outside.

Well all of this year I told everyone that "I was 37 years old for the second time." But as of today my age will be presented as "Three Quarters."
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 11-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #1683
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Happy Birthday Bob. I wish I could be in my 70’s again.

We and a neighbor have had repeated rodent invasions. Before we sold the FJ Cruiser I found nuts in the outside air side of the air filter. A rodent had chewed the plastic cover off a can of nuts in the cabin and then carried them out of the cabin (I have no idea how he got in and out) and some how got to the air intake. The intake is inside the wheel well and he either climbed up the tire and jumped over or found another way. He did this scores of times because how many nuts can a small rodent carry at once? Another time I noticed the truck was not running quite right but drove with trailer 300 miles. Then I found a harness chewed up and it was pretty amazing I made it that far. Being out of town I took it to the Toyota dealer and many dollars later had a new harness.

We now have a T3R Triple High Impact antirodent thing in the garage. I got it from Amazon and so far we have fewer mice in the house (they sneak in throughly open doors and the garage is a big offender) and none in the garage. We also have very cheap anti-rodent devices elsewhere, but they may have worn out. They all emit high pitched sounds we cannot hear and they claim it doesn’t bother dogs, but it sure bothers rodents and some bugs.

Sorry to hear you sold Lee’s car. That means, I suppose, she is still having back problems. I recently was on my back for days while I had a flare up that was the worst pain I have ever had. I have had nerve ablation (cuts pain nerves with ultrasound) and nerves injected with anesthetics. Has Lee seen a pain orthopedist? They do not do surgery. The treatments last short or long time—everyone is different.

I hope you, now Three Quarters, don’t get green stuff growing on you.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:58 PM   #1684
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
My airstream moved yesterday.

Hi, unlike Southern California, we get moss growing on our roofs here in Oregon. So I hired a roof cleaning company to come to my house and fix it. We had to cover plants, move plants, move porch and patio furniture, move my Lincoln and hook up my truck and trailer and move them too. Not a fun job moving a trailer for roof cleaning instead of a nice trip.

This also means that a day later, I have to put everything back. I had a feeling that one of my brakes was grabbing more than the rest. I confirmed that today. I have a feeling that I might have weak or broken return springs on that one wheel. If you read my blog, it's the same wheel/brakes/shocks/center cap that had all of those problems. I think I called it the bad luck wheel. I might remove that wheel and take a look to see if there's a simple fix, other wise, Lee said to take it to a shop and have all of the brakes checked and do whatever is necessary. We can afford it.

This morning I waited for it to warm up a bit and for a neighbor to go to work [move his car] so I could park my trailer. It is a tight spot, but let me tell you, Parking perfectly in between the white lines painted on my RV pad was a one shot deal thanks for a back up camera on my trailer. It makes a very hard job, easy. I have to miss an above ground power supply, a fence, and my garage. Until I get it lined up, I have only inches to deal with. I was able to park it in one shot.

There for I have my Power Mover AC-10 up for sale; I no longer need it.

This is not a picture of my house, but very similar to what mine looked like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mossremoval.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	384632  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 12-10-2020, 09:36 AM   #1685
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Bob, Lee, and Dusty's Random Trips

One possible moss reduction trick is to stretch a bare #10 or 12 copper wire the length of all your roof ridges. The copper ions that come off the wire in the rain help suppress moss growth...replace the wire if it corrodes through.

When our son had the Airstream up in Tacoma area moss was an issue. Now that itís in Southern California it stays dry and clean.

Name:	IMG_4666.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	728.7 KB
ID:	384652
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #1686
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Hi Bob

I also have graduated to the 'we can afford it' level of mechanical aptitude.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Hence the recent trip to JC.🥴
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	08512024-1B47-469E-A09A-66DD84AD2CE4.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	384653  

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #1687
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I am still resisting. My wife also wants to protect me from my follies. I don't go up on the roof of anything anymore because of balance issues that come with age. I still have been changing oil and greasing our vehicles, but find I don't move very fast. Getting ready for some master bath rehab—new shower doors and retiling the shower complex (two showers 8' apart, one with built in bench and behind that, a tub, also with a shower, the people who built this house sure liked showers). Everything is way out of date and I have a crack in the floor tile. Maybe this is a bad idea. But I would like you to send us the rain so our roof has a chance to grow moss. Hasn't rained or snowed in a month, ir is it more? I forget. Maybe snow this weekend.

Old 05-20-2021, 01:47 AM   #1688
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Brake time and another broken tongue jack.

Hi, wishful thinking that we can finally take our trailer out some time this year. We lost one year over Lee's broken back accident and another year because of the virus. Do I want to check my brakes and wheel bearings or send it to a shop? It seemed like my right rear brake was locking up so that is where I started. I found lots of brake dust and dry backing plates. I used Anti-Seize on the backing plates and did a bearing inspection / repack. The next wheel, right front, wasn't as bad but I did the full job on it too. Adjusting the brakes is always fun for me, not really. Now to get to the left side , I needed to pull my trailer forward past the house, to have enough room to work on these wheels. Note it was about 5 or 6 years since Vinnie did my brakes for me, so it was time for it to be done again. Taking my trailer to Vinnie's is just too far if we aren't planning to travel that way. The left brakes and bearings were in the same condition as the rest, with one exception; The left front brake had a broken wire. So I was once again stopping with three brakes instead of four. This is the third time that I can remember having a broken brake wire on my trailer.

Now to make things more fun, my new tongue jack failed. Thankfully this happened at home instead of the opposite side of the country like last time. It seems as though every tongue jack out there has problems. I'm thinking of buying a Husky 82022 Brute 5,000 lb. Tongue jack. This seems to be the best on the market at this time. About $300.00 from Amazon.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-20-2021, 12:13 PM   #1689
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
It sounds like Lee's back is doing better and glad to hear it. Brakes are easier to fix. I had broken brake wires on our Airstream too. Hope things go well. Have missed your posts too.

Old 05-20-2021, 01:47 PM   #1690
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Refrigerator "Check" light.

Hi, and my refrigerator has been acting up too. I have my trailer plugged into shore power, but my refrigerator's "Check" light keeps coming on. This is supposed to only come on with a propane failure. Further investigation reveals that my circuit board could be bad, so I ordered a new one today.

Lee is back into physical therapy and it is helping, but we believe that her back pain will never completely go away.

We want to get our trailer all fixed so we can use it even if only for short trips for now.

I haven't ordered a new tongue jack yet.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-20-2021, 04:41 PM   #1691
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, I hope Lee can travel even if only short distances. Back pain has a habit of sticking around. Jacks and backs, always trouble.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #1692
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

Lee is back into physical therapy and it is helping, but we believe that her back pain will never completely go away.

We want to get our trailer all fixed so we can use it even if only for short trips for now.
Bob,

So sorry to read that Lee is still in pain from her back accident. But I hope that your plans for short trips will work out and she will enjoy being on the road again.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:41 AM   #1693
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Why didn't I think about this before?

Hi, my refrigerator's new circuit board arrived, but I haven't installed it yet. I checked all of my power connections and found nothing wrong. And we haven't had any power outages either, so why is my refrigerator's "check" light coming on? Here's a brain storm, why don't I set the clock on my micro-wave and if it goes to all zeros, then I know it lost power somewhere and tried to switch to propane.

Murphy's law????? Now that I set my micro-wave's clock and check my trailer every day, all is normal and working properly. Another note, I noticed even with the check light on my refrigerator is still working.

Also, now that I have a generator transfer switch on my house, we haven't had anymore power outages.

I will now since I mentioned it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-29-2021, 01:32 AM   #1694
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Check light on and so is the clock.

Hi, today I went to check my refrigerator again. This time my "check" light was on again, my refrigerator was still working and cold, and my microwave oven clock was still working. To me, this confirms that my power was always on and the problem is in the circuit board. Now just going to wait for the right time to pull my trailer forward so I can replace the circuit board assembly.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-31-2021, 01:03 PM   #1695
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Back pain certainly changes people and learning how to function somewhat normally despite pain is quite a test. I have had 37 years to learn and still am. But I have remodeled three houses, taken care of two trailers and seen most of the US and Canada despite it. Living through pain is a challenge, but the alternative is stagnation and aging faster. I have confidence Lee will find her path and hope to see you both down the road.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:37 AM   #1696
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
We are going to Oregon.

Hi, we are going to Oregon; Yes we live in Oregon, but we decided on this shake down trip, to stay in Oregon for now. Our trailer had a brake problem and I fixed that. Our trailer had a refrigerator problem. Well it's working so I won't change anything yet. I did buy a new refrigerator circuit board that I plan on changing later. And finally I have had just too many problems with Ultra Fab tongue jacks even though they have replaced it three times and they are sending to me a new switch assembly. So I bought and installed a Husky Super Brute 5000 tongue jack. I would like to get ten years of service from the Husky like I got with the original Barker.

Well we were thinking about going to the Bend area, but we have been having some sort of a heat wave lately. I think the coast area might be cooler. Tomorrow we are leaving and hoping to find a spot near Tillamook. As usual, we have no reservations. We will drive and hope someone will have a space for us. Being as the weekend is over, I think we have a good chance there will be openings for us. We think about three nights might be good for now. If all works well for us, we want to take several trips this summer. Hope to see some Airstreamer's out there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010271.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	397859   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010272.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	397860  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-21-2021, 03:04 AM   #1697
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
. . .
. . . As usual, we have no reservations. We will drive and hope someone will have a space for us. Being as the weekend is over, I think we have a good chance there will be openings for us.
. . .

Are you prepared for the possibility that you will find no available sites, and will have to Wally-dock [or worse] to get back home? The scene out there looks wildly unfriendly IMO.

Good luck,

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:50 AM   #1698
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, glad to hear you and Lee are finally getting a chance to travel on this exploratory expedition. CG rates are up substantially and it can be quite difficult to find a site. The Oregon coast is so popular, it could be time to change your ways. I had to change mine and didn't like it, but I didn't like hunting for a site late in the day. I sure would like to seethe ocean again after being in the desert for so long, but lots of obligations at home and with Barb's mother. Just isn't so appealing to drive long distances anymore, so get out when (and if) you can.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:23 PM   #1699
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
First stop Tillamook.

Hi, we decided that it might be better to stay along the coast, and cooler too. We went straight to the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Or was it Disneyland????? There was a never before seen line of people trying to get in. The parking lot was full and cars took most of the RV spots. Well we are not going to wait in that line. And we are not going to walk 1/4 mile to the cheese factory from their overflow lot.

We left there and went back a ways to the Blue Heron Cheese Company. They have RV camping there, so let's check it out. This place was quite crowded except for the RV camping lot. All new to me; RV check in is on a note pad and it's for Harvest Host campers. I was told that as a non-member I could still sign on for one night. So I typed in the information and was told to get my permit from the front desk. There were so many places in this crowded building that I had to ask where the front desk was. I was very close to it. I went to the front desk and a young girl gave me my permit to camp. She told me as a non-member I could only stay one night. Members can stay here for two nights. I asked if I could use a quiet generator and she said no. Then I asked how much do I owe for the one night camping. Nothing, she said it was free.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010279.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	376.1 KB
ID:	398138   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010284.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	398139  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-25-2021, 12:03 AM   #1700
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Blue Heron

Hi, the Blue Heron is an interesting place. They have lots of animals there. I guess you could call it a petting zoo. There were several well used up vehicles there too. We did, of course, go back to the store and buy some things to help their business. Later we un-hooked the trailer and went back to the Tillamook Cheese factory where I was able to get through the outside ice cream line relatively fast. I have toured this place several tomes, but I'm not going that far and not get my Tillamook ice cream.

We drove the truck farther North to Cannon Beach for lunch on day two. We also saw a train ride in Rockaway. We will return and ride the train. We drove all over the area to see as much as we could see. We need to hook up our trailer and head to our new destination.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010281.jpg
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	398140   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010283.jpg
Size:	737.5 KB
ID:	398141  

Name:	P1010286.jpg