Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Birchrunville , Pennsylvania
Best sources for information on state parks, national parks etc.

We are new to this ... we were given Woodalls as the Bible of RV parks ... but it seems mostly to have fairly commercial parks while I think we are more interested in scenery and peace rather than club rooms, restaurants and swimming pools. Not that we are against hook-ups, but we don't need them all all the time. Is there a 'best source' for these types of campgrounds, or are they all individually found?
pandjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Because government parks don't pay to be included in a guide so it up the the author to volunteer to include them. Earlier this year Sunset magazine had a special edition (best places to camp) covering the sorts of places you're looking for. Sunset is focused on western US only. I've camped a lot here and that edition did name all my favorites.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Airstream Forums mobile app
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Good sources,

Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov

U.S. National Park ServiceFind A Park

About.com Index Search - Find it now!

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
North Pole , Alaska
I have a copy of the Good Sam 2014 RV Travel Guide Campground Directory. It is nice to have facility ratings, but it is geared towards promoting campgrounds/RV Parks that are Good Sam members. Some other guides that look promising include:

RV Camping in State Parks
National Park Service Camping Guide
Camping with the Corps of Engineers

These are on my wish list at the moment. Anyone else use these or other sources?
WisePharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Recreation.gov has already been mentioned, but also check out ReserveAmerica's campground directrory at Campground Directory - ReserveAmerica

For campgrounds (including non-Corps campgrounds) located on Corps of Engineers lake projects, try the Corps Lakes Gateway at www.CorpsLakes.us - Corps Lakes Gateway
Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If you are into the electronic world, get the App "All stays camp and RV" at your app store for about $5. It is great with public facilities like State and National Parks, National Forest Service campgrounds and the like. Good directions to the parks. Phone numbers of the agency which operates them for calling about when they are open, when they are full and stuff like that. Best $5 I have spent on an App. Of course you do need net access to use it on the road. I have that on my Cell Phone so it is generally not a problem. Or you can get the information when you have access and write it down the old way.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Best Scenic Campgrounds List

Following up to my earlier post. The link below is to the Sunset Magazine that captures a lot of the best (5 star) campgrounds for scenery, natural wonder, and awesome outdoor opportunities. I already have plans to camp at three later this summer, and recently camped at two others.

Best Campgrounds in the West - Sunset.com
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:57 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
To Everyone who has replied:

This is all wonderful information ... thank you to you all!

pandjg
Old 04-23-2014, 06:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
If you're coming to Texas, check out the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept's website. We have some great state parks here.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Google State parks for the state you wish to travel to.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
www.uscampgrounds.info is simply outstanding and we utilize it often. Play around with it and you may find it useful as well. Happy Trails.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We use the Good Sam/Trailer Life publication when we're traveling. It does include state parks, but doesn't rate them. We received Woodalls when we got AAA a few weeks ago. I've tried it in the past but was not as impressed as with the Good Sam publication. As mentioned above, look for state parks and state forest areas on-line in the states you're traveling to.
And, welcome to the Forums!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Everyone:

Again ... thank you so much for all these really useful suggestions. We are thrilled by the responses and feel much happier about our chances of finding what we are looking for.

pandjg
Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
We use the Ultimate Campground. It lists all public campgrounds - Federal, State, ACOE, local.

Ultimate Campgrounds - The LARGEST POI List for US Public Campgrounds
bunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Hartford , Alabama
Try this site for USFS campgrounds. The also have cd's available for out of service times.
Directory of Campgrounds in U.S. National Forests and Grasslands - Buy Books, National Forest Forum, News
Valacidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
1992 35' Airstream 350
Palm Springs , California
I love using trip advisor - you can get their app on your phone or tablet and it shows you all the top rated hikes, lookout spots, restaurants, etc. in your vicinity - or you can search by location and see all the top spots by national park or city ... etc.

I also like to get a book for each park I visit so I can get some historical and scientific info about the area. So far my favorite books are from Zion and Yosemite if anyone is interested in those parks, I can give you the book names.
vanessav27 is offline   Reply With Quote