Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Any Los Alamos, NM Campground Recommendations?

We are going to be staying in Los Alamos for three weeks and we are looking for a campground. I have scoured the internet and haven't found anything within a 15 mile radius. Any recommendations will be appreciated.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Years ago I was looking for alternative accomodations while attending meetings at Los Alamos Labs, I found Ojo Caliente Hot Springs, about 45 miles away. Nice if you like hot springs. Used to be hippy owned and operated, but with a few changes of ownership has become more upscale.

Hot Springs, New Mexico - Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa

They have basic RV sites with water, electricity and a dump station. Otherwise your best bet might be around Espanola.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
There's not a lot in Los Alamos, but Bandelier National Monument is just up the road a piece. And if you keep on driving up and over (the caldera is at the top), there are some national forest campgrounds on the other side a little closer to Jemez Springs.

Lynn
Old 07-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Howdy!

When we visit family that live in Los Alamos we stay at a small city park located on 502 as you enter Los Alamos. It is a parking lot you dry camp (boondock) in but it does have a dump station and water. You may want to check on Bandelier National Monument as they were closing the RV / camping area for construction when we were last there, unknown if it has been completed. The closest RV park with FHU's is near Pojoaque and Cuyamunque "Roadrunner RV Park" (505) 455-2626. which is just before you get onto 502 to Los Alamos. Hope this helps.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Thanks everyone. We took a drive up this weekend to scout things out and found that there's a campground called Cottonwood about 16 miles from Los Alamos that I wouldn"t leave my dog in. Another just a bit North of Santa Fe and about minutes South called Roadrunner that looks like a parking lot and is $40.00 a night, no cable.And that's about it. The State Park camping area is closed for construction. So it looks like although we"ll be towing the Airstream up, it's the Holiday Inn while in Los Alamos.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
Thanks everyone. We took a drive up this weekend to scout things out and found that there's a campground called Cottonwood about 16 miles from Los Alamos that I wouldn"t leave my dog in. Another just a bit North of Santa Fe and about minutes South called Roadrunner that looks like a parking lot and is $40.00 a night, no cable.And that's about it. The State Park camping area is closed for construction. So it looks like although we"ll be towing the Airstream up, it's the Holiday Inn while in Los Alamos.
Howdy!

We had a bad experience with Cottonwood Campground that is why I did not list it. Were you able to locate the City Park on your visit? As mentioned not much to it but it just a parking lot but it does provide dump and water station and restrooms no showers.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We stayed 2 nights at the Cottonwood place a few weeks ago. The people that run it are very nice but the place is certainly nothing special. For the 2 nights we stayed there it was adaquete at best but since there were not many others to choose from that was it. I certainly wouldn't want to spend 3 wks there but for 2 nights, eh, what can you say. Good luck finding a place. Not much to choose from.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Montrose , Colorado
Two other places to consider in the area are Hyde State Park on the road to the Santa Fe Ski area, and the Nambe Pueblo campground at Nambe Falls. And of course you can always spend a night or two at Walmart.
48Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
The Ohkay RV park in Espanola is opening again. 35 Dollars a night for elect. and water. has showers and dump station and a laundry. Two tribal troutlakes. The place has been closed for a few years but I noticed work being done to it this past week so I inquired . Looks like it will be a nice place to stay if you want a location central to Los Alamos,Taos,Santa fe.

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote