Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Goldsboro , North Carolina
Recommendations for a Washington DC campground

I am looking for a nice campground to stay at for a few days in the DC area. I haven't been able to find too much through internet searches and the KOA is 55$ a night. I hope to find something a little cheaper and even better, locally owned.
72safari23ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Greenbelt National Park

Nice national park outside the beltway and a short drive to the Metro.

Greenbelt Park (U.S. National Park Service)
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
When visiting Washington, DC we always stay at Cherry Hill. At $57 per night it's even pricier than a KOA but, because of its location and amenities, it's well worth it. It's privately owned and has its own Metro bus stop, which will connect you with its subway system, right at the campground. In my opinion, it's one of the best maintained private campgrounds we've ever stayed at. They offer a 10% discount for AAA, Good Sam, Military, etc.

Cherry Hill Park is the Closest Campground to Washington, DC :|: Cherry Hill Park

However, when the weather gets cooler, Greenbelt Park sure looks good.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
In the latest issue of RV Review (Camping World) there a very informative article on Washington, D.C..

They listed the following nearby campgrounds:
1. Duncans Family Campground (duncansfamilycampground) located 20 miles SE of the Capitol in Maryland. Family operated for 30 years they offer transportation to the Metro Line. More information on their web site.
2. Cherry Hill Park (cherryhillpark.com) located 10 miles north of downtown D.C. in Maryland just outside the Capitol Beltway. City bus line at their front door hourly and run directly to the Metro Line.
3. Greenbelt Park (nps.gov/gree) located in suburban Maryland. There are not hook-ups and you would have to furnish your transportation to the Metro Line.

Hope this helps.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWaugh View Post
Nice national park outside the beltway and a short drive to the Metro.

Greenbelt Park (U.S. National Park Service)
We spent 5 days there a while back. Very nice park, and as I remember it not too far to drive into Washington. It's kind of strange because you feel like you're in the middle of a "wilderness area", but you can occasionally hear sirens and helicopters.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
Lake Fairfax Park

I've copy/pasted from an earlier post I made when we took our first trip with our first AS.

Lake Fairfax Park and 1st AS trip

Hello all via wi-fi from Lake Fairfax Park. We made it (only 90 miles from home for our first adventure. I know, we're a pair of weenies ). It was 90 miles full of adventure as the rains plagued us the entire way. A car stopped short in front of us and I was VERY glad for the ABS brakes on the F-150. So far, the AS is a BIG hit with both me and wife. We're already talking about how much we'll be using it over the next couple of years and how nice it will be to upgrade to maybe a 28'.

We got alot of advice from a family member who's done alot of RV'ing and have found very few things that we needed to buy once we got here. (Note to self: Flyswatters are important).

As for the park, it's a beautiful setting right in the middle of all the hustle and bustle of Northern Virginia. Campground A (the only one open after Labor Day) has 30 amp service to a number of the sites BUT NO WATER at the sites . There is fresh water available near the bathhouse but with the small capacities of our 22' AS, we'll need to make several trips there during the week to DUMP and REFILL. The Camp Store closes on Labor Day but there are grocery stores, TARGET stores and a Home Depot all within about 10 minutes from the park.
The bath house is clean and the park appears well maintained overall. From Memorial Day to Labor Day, there is a REALLY nice water park within the park. Prices are $13/day for adults and $11/day for kids.

Well, that's about all for now.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Maumelle , Arkansas
Oh this is awesome...I was actually planning a D.C. trip for next year but really didn't plan on taking the AS, but with the campground so close to a metro bus stop this is going to make it much more do-able.
kaferboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Cherry Hill is the place to stay. At the end of a bus line, easy trip to the train and to the center of DC.

Be sure to contact your congressman six to eight weeks ahead if you can. Get the "Congressional Tours". Gets you "in the side door" so to speak. Avoid lines, get docents, save a load of time.

Been there, done that. The only way to cope with DC.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Wherever you stay, I highly recommend taking the Metro into DC. Most of the time parking can be a challenge, and expensive, especially for larger vehicles. If I recall, you can get an all day rail pass for around $8.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote