Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
College Station , Texas
A Walmart without RV stuff?

A couple of days ago, I dropped in to the Walmart nearest to me to get a replacement sewer connector. I had been to this Walmart before and knew about where to look, but I wandered all around the automotive section and vicinity and couldn't find any of their RV stuff. Finally I asked an employee if they had moved their RV supplies and she told me they no longer carry them! Has anyone else run into this? This was at the Walmart that's right across the street from the new Dallas Cowboys stadium. So if any of you are planning on tailgating there, be aware that you'll have to go farther away to find any last minute RV items.
mddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
It has been my impression that Walmarts have been reducing camping gear for a couple years. It used to be you could go into any Walmart and expect to find about the same range of camping gear. Cooking gear, propane items, general camp use stuff were uniform and everywhere. More and more I have found that you cant take for granted that a Walmart will carry common items. What they do stock has moved from coleman to more cheaply made items. That they are backing out of the RV supply business is not surprising.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I suspect they go through their inventory and stop stocking stuff that doesn't sell that well, pretty much like anybody else would. Our little Walmart in Taos (not a SuperWalmart) has been reducing stock all over the store.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We travel extensively with the Aistream and visit Wal-Marts all over the country. We have not run across this situation, yet.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
_

. , .
clearly the stores are NOT all the same and don't all carry the same inventory.

pick up the wally atlas.

this includes a listing of ALL the stores and what "lines/departments" of stuff they carry.

not ALL supercenters have rv supplies or tire centers and that's noted IN the listing.

there are ~3-4 'levels' of new wally stores but some OLDER stores haven't been updated to conform yet.

there is also variation by season and regional needs (more boating stuff in the stores NEAR water is an example)

camco has several 'vendor displays' they assemble for wally and many rv dealers and rv parts shops...

THOSE camco/displays do vary some and do change over time with products added or dropped.

the atlas is VERY useful and reasonably up to date with CLUEz to what lines/departments will be INSIDE wally's big box.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Our wally world stopped carrying ATV stuff. WHAT! do they realize how many people use them around here... They still have some RV stuff but not as much...

I thought that was the point of Wally world. They had everything. I also find stuff cheaper at local stores....

I think wal mart is doing what Home Depot did. Cheap for the first years, then slowly raise the prices to the local level. But people are so use to shopping there they don't realize the local guy is cheaper...

Shop local if you can. We have a local business so we try to support the local guys if possible..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
There have been several instances where Wal-Mart opened stores in small rural area's forcing small independant stores out of business. Then, after a couple of years the Wal-Mart closes its door leaving the community without any retail stores.

Although we have never encountered any problem over nighting at a Wal-Mart I wonder if that will be next.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
There have been several instances where Wal-Mart opened stores in small rural area's forcing small independant stores out of business. Then, after a couple of years the Wal-Mart closes its door leaving the community without any retail stores.

Although we have never encountered any problem over nighting at a Wal-Mart I wonder if that will be next.
I have had a problem...
I was stupid enough to ask the security officer, patrolling the lot, if it was ok to stay the night. He told me," Even though the wal-mart website says it's ok to stay the night, it isn't allowed anymore"!!!! What??!! This was in Palmdale CA. He did however point me to the sam's club parking lot saying, "It's ok to sleep there because they aren't open 24 hours". Again What??!!, I thought that was the reason you could stay at wal-mart. Anyways, I pulled into sam's, right behind a motor home, all went well. Although, I had to walk pretty far 2-3 times to spend cash at walmart, I wasn't happy with that.
The next night the same officer was on duty, and there was a large RV in their lot all night, running generators and all. I asked what the deal was and he said," there wasn't anyway to tell if they were inside the store or not. WTF.. sorry.. but??!!

So the moral of the story is, dodge all Wal-Mart security when possible. You never know what his/her IQ is going to be. When it comes down to it, don't take no for an answer.

Ok.. so..? At somepoint they will kick you off. I don't want to spend my life at Wal-mart but, what is the longest length of time, do you think, should be allowed?

2 weeks?? lol
2 years?
nomader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
A wal-mart in Arizona or New Mexico had a bar over the entrance limiting the height to 13'. They had a large section in front of that, just for 18 wheelers. That kinda made me happy to see them do that, everyone wins.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, here in the big city we have several Wal-Marts near by. One thing I noticed was that the two closest Wal-Marts to my home don't carry the same inventory. The one closest to me is the nicest, but the one fatrher down the road has more stuff. I saw a couple with a shopping cart with two tires in it; When the cashier rang them up the customers questioned the price. They were quoted $35.00 each at the other store and here they were $50.00 each, so they left. I asked the clerk if that was true and he said it was. "Sometimes we have a better price on tires, but most of the time the other store has the best price." [I thought they would all be the same]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
I did find a few walmarts with no Rv gear along 40. I was kinda surprised any of them had rv stuff. We are a rarity, in the whole scheme of things and I would think, as a whole, we try not to buy junk equipment. They should sell the basics they can't mess up and a few emergency items. After all, I'm, shamefully, a good customer when I stay the night.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
Walmart said they wouldn't change my AS tires due to policy. I was glad and amazed to find a much better deal on tires at a local store.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #13
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I had two employees that worked part time second jobs at a Walmart not to far from the suburb that I live in. They told me that the Walmart in my community carried better grade of stuff because we were more affluent than the community where they worked. One of these two employees told me that he would drive over to my Walmart to shop rather than buy anything in the store where he worked.

I know there is a newer Walmart in another part of our county that is more upscale decorated than our store and carries even better stuff than we have in our store. That is the one we shop at IF we have to shop at Walmart. Frankly, I don't if I don't have to.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
I wonder what wal-mart's real motives were for their prescription plan. I'm thinking, the more Americans save on medicine, the more they can spend at wal-mart.
I guess they are slowly deleting their RV stuff so we aren't spending so much on gas and can give them that money also.