Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The use of buffered acids is recommended. Noted as "safe" for anodized aluminum . . many aluminum brighteners are phosphoric acid which will remove anodization.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've used the Olive Oil/Lacquer Thinner concoction again. Lasted two months in the tough environment here in Corpus Christi (December - February). I'd also like to recommend

OneRestore | Product Details | EaCo Chem

as worth following up upon. I dealt with and received samples of other products five years ago on my last SS (see link in sig) from EACO, and, while I only used a buffered acid product from another source (which took decent appearance to good appearance), I've continued the search. What secrets there are to restoring appearance on anodized aluminum is not being divulged easily. YORK ARCHITECTURAL is a company doing this (good photos), but understandably without information offered.

ONERESTORE has the "right" description for a product to be used on anodized. My previous experience with them, their helpful site, and a consult with a pro in commercial cleaning leads me to make this form of recommendation.

I've been wary of the process called "two stepping" but had otherwise resigned myself to making the experiment (based on proper chem choice). Now I'd rather try the above.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Don't forget to post pictures, a simple blog with descriptions and pics might be quite rewarding!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The blog proceeds apace . . the owner is installing [3] grey water tanks to fit within frame rails.

Also came across another Sabre restoration (and more bad news about Camper Clinic in Buda):

1970 Silver Streak Sabre

Owner is from Dallas area.

Long-time SS Mailing List contributor Ron Metz of Lubbock, TX is handling resto work. They sold a very good looking SS just a short while ago. Not surprised that he and the wife are in this biz.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Collinsville , Oklahoma
The project continues to progress very slowly. The teardown phase was relatively easy, quick and cheap. This phase requires much more attention to detail when repairing and replacing components. Time spent for planning and engineering each phase from here forward greatly exceeds hands-on time.

We are motivated more than ever to complete this project, but are finding that free time is a precious commodity at this time in our lives. We knew that this would be more of a marathon that a sprint, so we’re satisfied with progressing as time permits.

1970 Silver Streak Sabre Model 20
See our project at www.silverstreaksabre.com
SSSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Collinsville , Oklahoma
We've been slowly progressing thru our renovation for 2 1/2 years now, and have enjoyed every minute of work so far. We are almost ready to start skinning the belly of the frame. I'll have some custom sheet metal work to do at the tank locations as our gray tanks extend below the frame cross members.

While I find sheet metal work enjoyable, the fun is going to wear off fast if I have to work on my back in close quarters with large sheet metal sections. I am determined to find a way to safely invert my frame. Insulating the subfloor and skinning the belly would be a much easier and cleaner process with the frame upside down.

If I had plans to renovate multiple units, I would build a fixture similar to what the factories and professional renovators use. As I hope this is a one-time event, I do not want to invest the time fabricating a fixture if I can come up with a safe way to invert the frame.

I'd appreciate some input from anyone that has inverted their frame. What methods were you all able to come up with to safely accomplish this?

Click to see our renovation blog: 1970 Silver Streak Sabre - Model 20

Old 03-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
When I built equipment trailers, many years ago, I was lucky to have an overhead hoist with two places to lift from. That made flipping trailers really easy. Now, all I have is a front end loader tractor. It isn't as easy or safe, but it works. It is harder when you are as far along as you are because you can't just "roll" it over. If you had two front end loaders it would be easy with one in the front and one in the back. It needs to be rigged in the middle, front and back, and with proper rigging it will roll right over after it is lifted up.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Collinsville , Oklahoma
Thanks for the reply M2HB. I was planning to use a front end loader and an engine hoist for the lift, so thanks for chiming in with your experience. My main concern was how to rig for a controllable 180 degree rotation of the frame without a pivot fixture at both ends of the frame. I've got this worked out in my head now. I have not been able to find where this process has been documented in detail, so I will be sure to provide detail after my attempt.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Reese , Michigan
wow

You have really got a project here, glad my airstream is in such GREAT shape, good luck-to you, hope you don't run out of uuummmppppffff!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Collinsville , Oklahoma
Thanks strshpntrprz. Restoring a travel trailer doesn't sound as cool restoring an aircraft or a car. Of all the restoration projects I've undertaken, this one receives the least interest from most of my friends and acquaintances. Most importantly and surprising to me, however, is the interest my wife has in this project. Her support sure goes a long way with ensuring my continued motivation!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Fabricate your pivot point utilizing cheap galvanized pipe, and affix to frame with muffler clamps. You can spear one end with the hoist and the other utilizing your loader. To control it, put a heavy duty strap over the top, affixing one end to c channel and the other to a comealong. If you drill your pivot points to accept grade 8 3/4 inch or larger bolts, you can spin to any number of fixed positions. Just make sure your engine hoist is elevated enought to allow clearance to the top of the frame while spinning.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Collinsville , Oklahoma
That is a setup that I had not considered and certainly worth further thought. Thanks Phrunes.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #33
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Of all the restoration projects I've undertaken, this one receives the least interest from most of my friends and acquaintances

Americans do have a difficulty in conceptualizing what is even a little ways outside of TV and the newstand magazine. Ironically, the toys -- bikes, cars, and most boats -- have little value beyond ego inflation. The things that provide shelter in a storm, would, one would think, pique their interest. The self-reliance bit and all.

The larger problem inherent in the thought of RV is the generally cheap nature of most of them out there. And the need for a huge gas guzzler to use it.

Ask them have they ever seen the picture of a man on bicycle pulling an Airstream? (would be my approach or reply).

Thanks for keeping us updated. Look forward to how things go. And here's to a wetter summer to us all in the South Central US!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Collinsville , Oklahoma
Agreed on the serious need for precipitation. It's been really sad looking around here for a long while now. I hope for no rain tomorrow though. We are really anxious to get the frame turned downside up Should have an update tomorrow evening...we hope.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Collinsville , Oklahoma
We managed to get the frame inverted today. It was not as difficult as I'd imagined it would be. We used a couple of loaders (good call M2HB) rather the a single loader and an engine hoist. The engine hoist would have been way too unstable for this task. A chain and tow strap were used for the lift.

A pair of trailer jacks are installed on the aft frame, and a single jack at the front. The frame rolls around quite easily on concrete.

Insulating and skinning the frame will be very easy now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4764.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	182144   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4765.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	374.6 KB
ID:	182145  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4769.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	520.5 KB
ID:	182146  

Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Bumping this thread to top as there is now another extensive renovation thread underway.