Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #1

Centralia , Washington
'70s ? Cayo fifth wheel

Hello

I have always wanted an airstream but the other day I found what I think is an older avion fifth wheel and I AM IN LOVE but she's in bad shape. The front right corner is damaged, one panel is half ripped off letting in a lot of water. To make it worse its been setting for some time so the wood/floor is probably gone

My main questions are

How rare is this trailer? It's in bad shape should I just go find one in better shape? Can I find one in better shape?

What is it worth now in bad shape and a ball park idea of value after it in good shape
Harrell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Some pics would be in order (as I think none of us know how, exactly, to respond). And contact CAYO if it is under their name.

And, welcome!!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Indiana , Pennsylvania
A picture would be able to clear up a lot of questions but my guess that if it is indeed a 70's Cayo fifth wheel it is very rare. Avion/Cayo made a fifth wheel for a year or two in the late 80's and early 90's if fact there are a couple of threads on here where people are currently fixing them up. In general from what I know Cayo made motorhomes and truck slide in campers and Avion made the travel trailers. If you want some professional advice why not ask the source? Cayo still runs a shop in Michigan give them a call and maybe they can help.

Please report back here with what you find out. I for one would be very interested in a previously unknown model of a Avion/Cayo. Oh and Welcome to the forum!
Hoppershot75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #4

Lansing , Michigan
Cayo 5th wheel

I used to own a Cayo 5th wheel that I bought new in 1974. When I had some repair work done on it many years later, Bill Cayo told me they only made five of them. Mine was number 3.
teamh2oman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Well, see!?!?! I learned something already! Way before the "whale", there was another Avion/Cayo 5th wheel! This will be interesting!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote