Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #1

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Lexington , Kentucky
1948 Curtis Wright Model 5

We have info on a model 5 trailer that was on a post on here a while back. A 1948 Curtis Wright Model 5 with front and rear pop-out windows. This trailer is legit.
My family knew the original owners of this trailer when they were still living. My husband and I had this spotted a while back parked behind a cottage at Williamstown Lake in Kentucky. Yes those windows are original to the trailer, my husbands' dad knew the original owners of the trailer because he has a house on the lake two doors down from where the trailer was. I didn't know this trailer was still around but it is definitely the one from the lake with those square front windows that vent open. We haven't seen another Curtis Model 5 with those windows and it was for a good reason. My husbands dad who was 95 when he passed away 5 months ago said that he was at the lake when the original owners brought the trailer to the lake. Story is that the original owners had actually picked up the trailer from Curtis Wrights factory in 1948 in Los Angeles and drove it cross county back to Kentucky. When they were at the factory the factory offered the trailer with the pop-out windows at a cheaper price to the couple so they opted to buy this one instead of the one they ordered to pick up. They always thought that it was a prototype of some sort that Curtis had and just wanted someone to buy because at the time they bought their trailer Curtis had a waiting list on the Model 5's. We were going to ask the owner of the trailer, second owner that is, if we could buy it when spring came around in 2004 but it disappeared in winter and wasn't at the lake when we went back the next time. The guy who sold it said that a guy in Southern California bought the trailer and had it shipped out there in December of 2003. We really regret not acting on it sooner because this trailer was in awesome shape for its age. It looks like it would polish out nice as well according to the photo on here. My husband and I have wanted a Curtis Wright for a while and did a lot of research on them when we first came across this one and haven't found one that looks as good as this one and as rare as this one. This trailer doesn't have many dings on it at all and looked to be very complete from what we saw. Yes the windows look like there is a patch around them but they are definitely original to the trailer which is why we too think it was a prototype they were messing around with by just putting squarish windows in the normal oval holes and putting a "patch" cover over the remaining hole. Seeing this thing in person we really regret not getting this one. If anyone knows if it is still for sale please contact us at ginagirl@live.com because we are definitely interested in this trailer. This one is a rare find, I would love to show up at a vintage trailer show with this one restored.
Happy Camping!

Gina and Jeff
curtis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I have never seen one like that. There are some later models for sale now with those type windows.

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...t=11484&cat=34

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...7933&viewitem=
Old 11-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #3

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Lexington , Kentucky
1948 curtis wright

Yes the windows are really unique to this type of trailer. Every other Model 5 has the ovalish alien eyed fixed front and rear windows. One of the reason why my dads friend chose this one that the factory offered them was the fact that the windows ventilated by popping open. I personally think that the square windows make the Model 5 look even better than they do. If anyone knows who the owner of this trailer is please contact us at ginagirl@live.com because we are interested in purchasing it.
curtis1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags