Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2016, 11:04 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 19' International
Santa Margarita , California
Notes from Factory Visit

Just found my notes from when we saw the Basecamp... we weren't allowed to take photos. Here's what I have:

Designed for the outdoor enthusiast.. a micro modern living space. Convertible interior space that can store gear, provides sleeping and sitting space.

Has a bathroom, sink, shower, 2-way fridge (LP or elec), 2 burner stove. Microwave optional.

Tall enough to stand up in interior. 3 versions: Red Rock, River Rock and Warm Stone.

Bathroom has passthru shower. Indoor shower is sealed, no curtains. Clothesline. 2+ feet taller and 2feet wider than previous Basecamp. Comes with 2 fans. A/C is optional and can be added at the dealer (replaces one of the fans). Prewired and has dripline already for A/C (which will require a generator, of course).

High quality screen fastens with magnets. Solar guard wraparound windows. Tempered glass. Adjustable blackout curtains. 2 plug and USB port stations. The 2 back windows open.

Boot tray for gear, boots, dog bowl, whatever.

Comes with 1 lead acid battery, but has space to add a second. They can be hooked up parallel. Upgraded to AGM if you order with solar panels.

Tie down hooks on the inside are bolted to the metal frame. Spice rack and lots of other storage cubbies. Locking storage cubbie. Comes with Bluetooth Bose speaker that will fit in the locking cubbie.

Truma (sp?) water and heating system.

Tents are optional. 2 5/16 ball, manual jack.

Propane tank cover is plastic and has storage compartment on top for hoses, etc. Spare tire and stabilizer jacks in rear (2). 2 20-lb propane tanks with switch valve. Fridge vents hidden nicely behind propane tank cover.

Five options:
A/C (Coleman 9200 BTU, low profile, quiet)
Solar panels (2 80-watt Zamp panels. Extra plug in near battery box for third portable panel)
Microwave
Rear Tent
Side Tent

Front window does NOT open. But you get nice cross breeze with front door, rear and side windows and rear door. Width of back door is 25". Width of front door is 22".

18 inch tires... larger than any other Airstream product. Independent wheel suspension.

LED outdoor light, tail lights, brake lights.

Rear door is plastic molded with aluminum face. Has First Aid kit and a snap screen. Skin of the vehicle is .40 Aluminum (like all Airstreams). Same welded windows, riveted super structure.

72 x 72 inch bed. Tents add 20 cubic feet of living space.

That's it. I think I read my scribbling right... if I made a mistake here, I apologize, but I think I got it all right.
Santa Margarita, CA
works at SkyRiver Airstream Paso Robles
www.facebook.com/CentralCoastAirstream/
www.facebook.com/AirstreamSB/
ellenbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Very nice! It's a good looking Airstream and much improved over the original Basecamp.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Good looking rig. Would be perfect to ship it to Europe for touring over there!
Old 09-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
We've been considering something small then upgrading to an airstream in a few years. I've been doing a crap ton of research for the past month. While I like what they are doing with the new base camp. It is just too pricey for what you get. Retail will be mid-to-upper $30,000s. For outdoor enthusiasts (looking at modern teardrop styles or utility trailers with roof top tents) - especially to enjoy the outdoors - this is anywhere from 50-120% higher than the prices I'm seeing. I'm thinking this won't be the seller Airstream is hoping for. I've seen some ruggedly built trailers with 33" wheels serious suspension and off road capabilities (far exceeding what Airstream designs) in the mid teens.
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getaways View Post
We've been considering something small then upgrading to an airstream in a few years. I've been doing a crap ton of research for the past month. While I like what they are doing with the new base camp. It is just too pricey for what you get. Retail will be mid-to-upper $30,000s. For outdoor enthusiasts (looking at modern teardrop styles or utility trailers with roof top tents) - especially to enjoy the outdoors - this is anywhere from 50-120% higher than the prices I'm seeing. I'm thinking this won't be the seller Airstream is hoping for. I've seen some ruggedly built trailers with 33" wheels serious suspension and off road capabilities (far exceeding what Airstream designs) in the mid teens.
If you just look at numbers (capacity, weight, interior space, etc) you'd think no one would buy any more-expensive Airstream over an ostensibly-competitive conventional travel trailer either, but the factory is running at capacity.

Here's something roughly competive in size and features with a sort of military/utilitarian aesthetic, with just about the same base retail price as the new Basecamp.

VMI Xtender Alpine

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
. . .

. . . but the factory is running at capacity.
. . .
This could certainly cut two ways if sales don't meet expectations. With summer over, it will be interesting to learn whether this roll-out was delayed for some reason. Seems like April or May 2016 would have been the best time to sell the new Basecamp IMO.

Shudder to think of all those new batteries sitting around over winter . . . but maybe Airstream will have the dealers wait to install batteries locally as needed . . . ?

This is not the trailer for us, but it may be popular, especially with the screen rooms.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Beautiful trailer. Without the plexiglass rock guards over the front windows, I bet the tempered curved windows will cost a pretty penny to replace.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Hearing no deliveries of the new model till spring.
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Next question is will sell enough to justify continued production? Apparently the original version did not.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getaways View Post
Hearing no deliveries of the new model till spring.
Where did you hear that?
Old 09-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #31
Rivet Master

I like that they are using the vintage Torpedo look

The new Basecamp gave up the ability to fit a motorcycle. Meh….Big hogs were kinda too big for the old Basecamp anyway.

The bathroom is a huge improvement

The tent attachment on the old Basecamp was a nice feature.

It's light, but only a couple of hundred pounds lighter than my 20' Argosy.

Like all Airstreams, too expensive.

Also….it's too expensive

And it costs a lot.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:12 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Price and size wise seems it will be direct competition for their new Nest. In my opinion the Nest might actually be a better trailer for many people.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #33

Middleton , Massachusetts
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
The new Basecamp gave up the ability to fit a motorcycle. Meh….Big hogs were kinda too big for the old Basecamp anyway.

The bathroom is a huge improvement

The tent attachment on the old Basecamp was a nice feature.

It's light, but only a couple of hundred pounds lighter than my 20' Argosy.

Like all Airstreams, too expensive.

Also….it's too expensive

And it costs a lot.
It is not a Harley hauler but it would have been nice to have the option of loading an dirt/adventure motorcycle inside. I have been waiting for the new Basecamp model to arrive and was planning on purchasing one to tow to rallies and events etc... the girlfriend doesn't ride so towing the trailer and being able to load the bike was important. She also doesn’t go to all of the events so the Basecamp size made for a perfect solo or couple toy hauler for me.

It is definitely a better version of the original, I just wish they had kept the ability to load a motorcycle in it or at least offer a floor plan, rear door option to load motorized vehicles or just a option for a toy hauler deck
It looks like I need to start looking for another option (VMI Off-road??) I’m bummed, I had high hopes for next season.
Seal986box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
For you who so quickly say the new Basecamp is better than the original, here is a semi-rhetorical question from someone who owns one. Which is "better":

> a 1962 Ferrari GTO, or a 2011 GTO ?
> a 1966 Ford GT, or a 2006, or a new 2016 ?
> a 1968 16' Bambi, or a new 16' Sport ?

Different: Yes. More amenities: Yes. Less primitive: Yes. But the same can be said of all the older ones above. Which is better: to each his own.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #35
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
I'm really liking this new design. I think they may have sacrificed some versatility with the rear door, but overall I think BaseCamp 2.0 is a home run.

I think it will be very appealing for their target market.
Just curious as to who is the target market for this product?

And also, what is the MSRP?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:31 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Price and size wise seems it will be direct competition for their new Nest. In my opinion the Nest might actually be a better trailer for many people.
My first impression of this went the other way. If people go for this, I don't see as much reason for the *Nest* to exist.

All the shiny Au is certainly more in keeping with the brand.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #37
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post

I am guessing first time buyers in their 30s without kids who lead active lifestyles and have a good amount of disposable income to invest in their outdoor pursuits / lifestyles.... This is a less intimidating trailer to tug around with a smaller vehicle and is a great first stepping stone to get into the rv world...

It looks cool, it's simple, it's easy to tow, easy to manage, enables you to tug along extra gear for your adventures .... and allows one to move up from sleeping on the ground in a tent whilst it's raining

(not that there is anything wrong with tent camping, both tent camping and RVs have their +/-'s)

I think it fills a gap in the product line - hope it sells well, I like the concept!
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:36 PM   #38

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
My first impression of this went the other way. If people go for this, I don't see as much reason for the *Nest* to exist.

All the shiny Au is certainly more in keeping with the brand.
Where's the gold? It looks like aluminum to me.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 09-08-2016, 11:48 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Astoria , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post

And also, what is the MSRP?

$34,900.

~Practice Random Kindness and Senseless Acts of Beauty~
KathyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:52 AM   #40

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
For you who so quickly say the new Basecamp is better than the original, here is a semi-rhetorical question from someone who owns one. Which is "better":

> a 1962 Ferrari GTO, or a 2011 GTO ?
> a 1966 Ford GT, or a 2006, or a new 2016 ?
> a 1968 16' Bambi, or a new 16' Sport ?

Different: Yes. More amenities: Yes. Less primitive: Yes. But the same can be said of all the older ones above. Which is better: to each his own.
If I were looking for a vehicle to sell, I'd prefer to be given a '62 GTO or a '66 GT350. If I were looking for a vehicle to drive more than once every month or two (with the option to park it in public without fear!), I'd choose a GTC4 Lusso or a GT350. It's not quite the right comparison, since you can surely use your original Basecamp for its original intended use without serious risk, unlike the 8-figure 250 GTO.

The original Basecamp was what really whetted my appetite for an Airstream. I imagined I could tow it with a vehicle I didn't totally hate driving, and it was in a price range that was affordable to me at the time. Other things in our lives delayed the start of our Airstream adventure for several years, and by then used Basecamps were hard to find and still cost what they did new... I ended up with the '75 Argosy. I've been thinking of getting a small, easy-towing "solo trailer" to go with the 28' project when it's done and I can sell the 24' Argosy. The new Basecamp seems like a good candidate on first glance. A shower on board and similar total tank capacity to my '75 seems like a big step forward.