Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Basecamp Kelty Luggage

So, I gave up on trying to find the Kelty Tent online... I phoned many dealers and was quoted a price of US$1565 for the tent. Understand that in $CDN, that is over $2000... for a TENT! The tent is listed as a $1065 option on Airstream's own website. After many calls, I ended up with the tent for $1150... so, I guess I will have to cry myself to sleep over that 'deal', but what else could I do?

Anyway, here is the next question. What do you get with the "Kelty Storage System" for the Basecamp? I know this is generic Kelty gear that is still made and sold through normal retailers. I am just wondering how many of each storage bin you get... If I know the sizes, and where they go, I can start looking for those as well.

And... no, my Basecamp isn't 'home' yet... it still is sitting at the dealership, paid for and waiting for me to either drive there and get it (4000km each way), or arrange for shipping... yikes!
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
The Kelty luggage was designed to fit under the seats of the Base Camp. The storage bins are curved to fit the space under the galley. When we had the base camp, we found that other bins from Target or other stores could be creatively used in place of the Kelty units. The Kelty units are of high quality. I liked them very much.

Now the tent--what a rip. It is horribly over priced. In addition there are several design flaws. The floor could be easily ripped so we added indoor outdoor carpet for protections. The side of the tent that attaches to the BC has no material at the bottom leaving gapping holes for water and critters. You will want to fix that. Read Bob Fowler's posts on his fix for that plus many other good ideas. Bot is a great resource.

There are no screens on the windows in the basecamp leaving it wide open for bugs.

All in all, we would still have our basecamp but it burned in a fire and we were able to trade up. It is a fun, but problematic, trailer.

Enjoy. Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
albuquerque , New Mexico
I just used a few backpacks and hooked on the rear poles for convienent storage. No screens true, I hung mosquito netting toward the rear of the trailer have it rolled up on the sofa pole and velcro to the ceiling. have fun customizing yours. I saw your add for the tent. I considered selling you mine, Don't use it every time out, but if I didn't have it, I think I would regret it. Have fun with your basecamp, I"m loving mine. Jeff
jrsbasecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
We got a spectacular deal, or I would have passed and looked at something more mainstream. We picked up a new 07 for $12,900... then got taken for $1200 for the darn tent. Doh! Oh well, what can you do?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Victoria , British Columbia
Basecamp Cost with Kelty Tent

Hello Friday. Even with your Kelty tent, you still got a great overall deal on your Basecamp rig. $12,800 for your trailer + $1150 for the tent is still much less than the CA$21,000 we paid for our rig.

You done real good!

Regards,
Dennett

PS. Our price included all the options (TV, air, fridge, toilet, Thule bike tie-down system, etc.) and the Kelty storage system, so we’re not crying. Our $350 Sportz tent was extra

PPS. Our Basecamp has the off-road wheels and tires. How is yours equipped?
Dennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennett View Post
Hello Friday. Even with your Kelty tent, you still got a great overall deal on your Basecamp rig. $12,800 for your trailer + $1150 for the tent is still much less than the CA$21,000 we paid for our rig.

You done real good!

Regards,
Dennett

PS. Our price included all the options (TV, air, fridge, toilet, Thule bike tie-down system, etc.) and the Kelty storage system, so we’re not crying. Our $350 Sportz tent was extra

PPS. Our Basecamp has the off-road wheels and tires. How is yours equipped?
I was expecting something in the CDN$25,000 range based on what we were looking at last fall... Too bad our dollar fell, or there would have been some amazing deals in the States. To be honest, when I got the price back from the dealer, I thought it was a scam. I researched the place inside-out, and even called their bank. It was all legit and the trailer was picked up by my buddy a few days ago and will be here Sunday.

As far as options, ours has the 20 inch wheels, lower tube protectors, roof tubes, skylight, vent, sink, air conditioner, CD player, stove, 'bedroom' (?) and stabilizer jacks... the build sheet for ours lists as $26,760, which I think included those options.

Once I get a look at it, I might try find the luggage or some other accessories...