Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2007, 04:01 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
collierville , Tennessee
Basecamp negatives

I have been reading about the basecamp for months now and it looks like what i have been searching . i ride motocross and harescrambles(woodsraces) and this thing looks perfect as a trailer with the extras of air,water ,beds,and light enough to tow in and out of fields and dirt roads.for the price i wish it had a indoor shower even if it was tiny but i guess that would require a bigger water tank and gray water tank also. does the sink water drain into a tank ? with the bike in the basecamp can the bed be assessed? im thinking with the a/c being such a small unit a honda 1500 generater should hanbdle the elctrics fine,is there any other issues such as space or inconvenances that im missing? i have also checked into the forrset river work and play for half the price ,but it is heavier
christopher4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Welcome to the Forums neighbor. I can't answer any of your questions but you have a dealer in Searcy that can help. Call Gene at Airstream of Arkansas or send him a PM here, AIRHOG1 is his screen name.

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
There isn't a whole lot on Basecamp's here. Didn't really fit the prevailing attitudes. Did you try the discoweb forums?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher4
I have been reading about the basecamp for months now and it looks like what i have been searching . i ride motocross and harescrambles(woodsraces) and this thing looks perfect as a trailer with the extras of air,water ,beds,and light enough to tow in and out of fields and dirt roads.for the price i wish it had a indoor shower even if it was tiny but i guess that would require a bigger water tank and gray water tank also. does the sink water drain into a tank ? with the bike in the basecamp can the bed be assessed? im thinking with the a/c being such a small unit a honda 1500 generater should hanbdle the elctrics fine,is there any other issues such as space or inconvenances that im missing? i have also checked into the forrset river work and play for half the price ,but it is heavier
I've had mine for about 11 months and have used it quite a bit...

There is no gray water tank in the trailer, the cold water sink drains to a hose connection under the body. We use an 11 gallon portable tank for the sink drain. There is no water heater, nor a good place to install one. The fresh water supply is a pair of jugs under the sink area with a submersible pump. When one runs out, you have to manually switch to the second jug (IIRC, the second jug is an option). The A/C unit draws 5.5 amps, so the Honda will be enough to power the trailer. The downside of the A/C unit is the placement. The folks at Nissan (they did the majority of the design work on the Basecamp) apparently don't know that warm air, NOT cold air, rises, and they put the A/C at floor level. This means it can take quite a while to cool off the trailer, but your feet get cold while your waiting. Oh yes, there is no heater either (we carry an electric heater in the van).

We've only used the single burner cooktop a few times, and then pretty much just for heating water for tea or coffee. Instead, we rely on either our Coleman stove or gas grill.

You can forget having the bike inside if the bed is in sleeping position, it goes completely across the trailer. With a good sleeping bag, the bed is plenty comfy, but if you're over 6'2", it's a bit tight. The tent to trailer interface has issues, but can be made to work OK.

The up side is that the Basecamp tows beautifully. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't get the "custom" 20 inch wheel option - I'd go for the standard trailer wheels and tires (I'm going to get steel wheels and Marathons for mine in the Spring). I'd shy away from the off road wheel option as well, it's cheaper to get your own loading ramp and the light truck tires don't give much more ground clearance.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #5

Currently Looking...
collierville , Tennessee
what about the cheesy fridge they sell with it? is there a place to put a small "real"fridge?
christopher4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

The link below goes to a good basecamp thread

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...eferrerid=4122
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
what am I doing??

Christopher4 -

I hate myself for asking this question, but with so many arrows pointing away from the Basecamp as a realistic solution to the set of parameters you have to work with, Why are you still looking for a way to get an AirStream - albeit different from the majority of Airstreams - into your life?

Is there something about this Basecamp that just grabs you and makes you want to make it a part of your existance? Or is it the "AirStream ideal" that is doing this to you?

Let's be clear - they are different things. Similar - as in the same company; but as different as siblings born on the same day, but years apart.

Airstream is trying to use the Basecamp as a jumping off point, capitalizing on the AirStream name and provenance, to get people that have 'active lifestyles' interested and buying trailers. The fact that these trailers really only have the barest resemblance to the AirStream TT's and MoHo's that built that name and retain that provenance, is mere coincedence. Chasing a new market segment, to coin a phrase. Oh, and profit (hopefully! but not likely with unplanned excess inventory of basecamps).

I go back to my 'question' because I feel bad asking it. I DO NOT want to steer you away from AirStream Travel Trailers, as they are the best thing rolling the highways and byways, but from where I sit, the Basecamp is not the way to really get that AS feel. If AS feel is what you are after, the cachet of owning one, then get a real AirStream. A travel trailer.

If the weekend, pull a motorbike (enclosed) and then show off all your toys, is your MO, then you have 'your huckleberry'. Then again, a PU (bike in the bed) with a proper AS on the back would get to that same point even if the trailer was a 16 or 19 footer.

Again, not tryin' to rain on anyone's buying decision or choice, but for me ( and likely more than a few of the AS folks I know, the REAL! AirStream choice is more about the length and bed choices, rather than the 'tent and 20" wheels' option. Then there is the MoHo vs. TT crowd....! Plenty to choose from and still have that cachet...

My opinion, of course.

Best of luck with your choices.

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I still say that you can buy a top-of-the line enclosed cargo trailer for $5-8000, remodel it with all of the amenities that the Basecamp has for less than $5,000. Bank the balance. Some of the models even have torsion axels.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
torsion x2!

Dave -

I have an enclosed cargo trailer that has dual torsion axles....!

I actually considered adding bunks and redimentary appointments for a smaller, more "On the go" type trailer.... didn't, but I considered it...!

You and I, I think, are on the same page here with this discussion. We'll have to see where it leads.

Christopher4 - you have interested lad waiting to hear what you thinking on the process is.... Oh, and Photos!!!!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

The Basecamp is very, very cool .

But I don't think it is a great camper or a great utility trailer. If money was no concern to me , I would have one. It would be nice for short outings, and to sleep in when you are too tired to drive home. But for that price I could get a utility trailer, a used Harley, a kayak, a rod and reel, lures, a tent, a Winchester, a case of beer, and flowers for the little lady.
They should offer a pontoon/outboard motor option. Then it would be a not great boat as well. But very, very, very cool.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
I have an enclosed cargo trailer that has dual torsion axles....!

I actually considered adding bunks and redimentary appointments for a smaller, more "On the go" type trailer.... didn't, but I considered it...!

You and I, I think, are on the same page here with this discussion. We'll have to see where it leads.
Axel
SilverToy
It's already been done, commercially:
WorknPlay TT
Old 10-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #12
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I am a huge fan of the design prinicples of Airstream and love the looks of the BaseCamp. I have to admin however, after touring several that they are what I would consider a design compromise. In other words, they are not good at being either a travel trailer or a cargo trailer. They are perfect for a very narrow segment of the RV market but unforetunately that doesn't include me.

As an avid Airstreamer it's hard for me to admit this, but I have to agree that a cargo trailer conversion (or commercially available conversion) or a quality toy box would be a better choice for about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a new BaseCamp.

I would love to see the BaseCamp evolve and live up to it's original concept, but I would suspect it's lifecycle will go the way of the Airstream motorhome in the coming years.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher4
what about the cheesy fridge they sell with it? is there a place to put a small "real"fridge?
Actually, the fridge they sell with it is excellent. Mine lives betwen the front seats of my van 90% of the time - it gets used every day. As for retro fitting it with an LP/AC fridge, I guess it's possible, but I never looked into it.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-10-2007, 11:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
<snip> They should offer a pontoon/outboard motor option. Then it would be a not great boat as well. But very, very, very cool.
The way mine leaked, it even made a crappy submarine...

TAC - NJ-007

Old 10-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Airstream never manufactured a submarine.

But I am sure pontoons would work, as long as they were properly balanced.
If you didn't want to tow it with a boat, you could mount a few battery powered trolling motors and an aluminum rudder. I would still HAVE to install a propane powered heater but I guess I could do with out a shower since I'd be on a lake.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
But I am sure pontoons would work, as long as they were properly balanced.
If you didn't want to tow it with a boat, you could mount a few battery powered trolling motors and an aluminum rudder. I would still HAVE to install a propane powered heater but I guess I could do with out a shower since I'd be on a lake.
Balance would be a problem, not to mention it would wind up being rather shallow draft and top heavy.

TAC - NJ-007