Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamMoore1 View Post
Hi,
I am new to RVing and looking to buy a lightweight and compact travel trailer to get started. I have two little boys and want to make camping fun for them and easy for my wife and I! I really like the Basecamp, but it only sleeps 2. Does anyone have a set up they recommend to accommodate two kids plus two adults with a Basecamp? I was thinking that I buy the rear tent attachment and throw down an air mattress for my wife and I and then the kids can sleep on the benches. Would the Basecamp be able to pump some heat in the tent if we are camping in the fall?
-Adam
Hi Adam. We're a family of four too, and have a Jeep 4 dr. as one of our two tow vehicles. Let me start by saying we LOVE our Basecamp! We have a '17 and despite some of the initial production issues (fixed) we're extremely happy with it. Our solution is a roof top tent on the Jeep to accommodate the kids. It works out great. The problem with the BC tents is they're not waterproof. I mean, the fabric is, but water gets in where the tent suction cups onto the trailer...there's just no way to seal it totally. Also, for the tents to work you need to be on level ground with the camper which isn't always easy out here in Colorado. Our RTT on the other hand is very comfortable regardless of conditions.

I've towed our Basecamp from Colorado to our farm in Iowa several times, and have lived in it for a week at a time. Can't say enough good things about it. It's beautiful, comfortable, easy to tow/park, amazingly functional for such a small package!
badgeruw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #22

2018 Basecamp
Delaplane , Virginia
Basecamp Not For Four

My husband and I love our 2018 Basecamp. We purchased both available tents. The unit itself is perfect for two, but when one of us is dressing or putting together a meal, the other prefers to be outside. It is small!
The tents are not completely sealed. There is quite a bit of open space around the wheels that allows air and insects to enter. It’s fine for our teen grandchildren in the right weather on a rare trip. In heavy rain, we would have him sleep in the truck.
We use the tents for storage on a longer camping stay.
Having raised four sons with camping, I sincerely recommend you go a little bigger.
Tuckerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:10 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Calgary , Alberta
Have you looked at the 16' Sport? That might be what you are looking for. It's a little more money, but a slightly used one might get you to the same price. You can sleep 4 in the Sport.
danton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
One other comment I forgot to mention as a "negative" to some, depending on where you plan to camp. Last summer, there were several "bear" concerns at the National Parks, which will close off to "soft side" tents/campers. We camped for a week at Swift Currant in Many Glacier where half the camping area was reserved, but empty due to bear activity. Only hard sided vehicles were allowed to camp. Yellowstone also had this problem also a couple years ago I remember. That can ruin a vacation for some...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Vacaville , California
I wouldn’t do it unless you have 2 people sleep in a tent. I owned a Basecamp for a year and it had lots of issues. There are airforum entries ad nauseum about them. I read also that the Basecamp tents were difficult to attach to the trailer. Follow the advice and read the links to the threads. I think you’ll be glad you did.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote