Old 03-14-2019, 04:25 PM   #15

Currently Looking...
Stamford , Connecticut
Wow, this info is so helpful! Thank you for all the posts!

AdamMoore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Tons of great advice so far. I started as an ultralight backpacker and enjoyed car camping from time to time. When I was looking at Airstreams, I thought wed use it the same way we used our tent, wed just be more comfortable.

The part I underestimated was how many new opportunities the Airstream opened for us and how it changed how we camp.

Our season is so much longer. We can travel so much further and with great comfort.

I think depending on the tent extension and having it be just warm enough may be short sighted. Still plan to spend most of your time outdoors, but find something that will keep you all warm for that surprise cold night.

We are two weeks into a 3 month trip now and had a night in the teens, 100mph winds in the Guadalupe Mountains, and lows that are way below average across the Southwest. None of this is a big deal because we have a trailer that keeps us warm and safe and keeps the journey going.

chicagoair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
1957 18' Wanderer
Everywhere , Everywhere
Why not go for something that sleeps four people right away? We had friends who were a family of four who camped for years in a pop-up tent trailer, and they loved it. You set it up once and you're good to go. They were always warm and dry and happy. Good luck and happy trails to you.
57Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM   #18

2018 Basecamp
Trophy Club , Texas
Basecamp

We bought ours and got both side and rear tents. The side tent would provide more room than the back and has a flatter surface for mattress or sleeping bags. Use the back for extra gear or dirty stuff. Make ya a great deal on ours, or is for sale 2028 model. See eBay.
jsbrown65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Wanderer View Post
Why not go for something that sleeps four people right away? We had friends who were a family of four who camped for years in a pop-up tent trailer, and they loved it. You set it up once and you're good to go. They were always warm and dry and happy. Good luck and happy trails to you.
We had 4 kids; the pop up works great, not too expensive if you buy used, and kids won't really care, as long as you bring along bikes. We put a rack on our popup for 6 bikes and pulled with a van...when we sold it a year later we actually made a $1000 over our purchase price of $2500! We traveled extensively around Texas and up to Yellowstone/Tetons, Glacier in MT, Idaho, WA, Moab (in July with no AC!), and all over Colorado...one trip was 6 weeks! Sets up in 10 min. and most campgrounds have showers/ toilets, although we did have a portapoty also...would highly recommend. We got a carrier for extra cloths and stuff for top of the Van...Basecamp is nice for 2 people and perhaps a small dog...but lots of $$. In the end, your outdoors most of the time anyway when camping, right?
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Toronto , Ontario
Basecamp

We own a basecamp and we have the side tent. While it is quite large, but we found it did not stand up well to a wind. And it got quite wet inside during a rain as it does not fit tight to the trailer there are a few gaps. The little suction caps pull out of the grommets, and they are not easy to put back in. Buy a larger size rig as someone suggested a 22 foot
hawksbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamMoore1 View Post
Hi,
I am new to RVing and looking to buy a lightweight and compact travel trailer to get started. I have two little boys and want to make camping fun for them and easy for my wife and I! I really like the Basecamp, but it only sleeps 2. Does anyone have a set up they recommend to accommodate two kids plus two adults with a Basecamp? I was thinking that I buy the rear tent attachment and throw down an air mattress for my wife and I and then the kids can sleep on the benches. Would the Basecamp be able to pump some heat in the tent if we are camping in the fall?
-Adam
Hi Adam. We're a family of four too, and have a Jeep 4 dr. as one of our two tow vehicles. Let me start by saying we LOVE our Basecamp! We have a '17 and despite some of the initial production issues (fixed) we're extremely happy with it. Our solution is a roof top tent on the Jeep to accommodate the kids. It works out great. The problem with the BC tents is they're not waterproof. I mean, the fabric is, but water gets in where the tent suction cups onto the trailer...there's just no way to seal it totally. Also, for the tents to work you need to be on level ground with the camper which isn't always easy out here in Colorado. Our RTT on the other hand is very comfortable regardless of conditions.

I've towed our Basecamp from Colorado to our farm in Iowa several times, and have lived in it for a week at a time. Can't say enough good things about it. It's beautiful, comfortable, easy to tow/park, amazingly functional for such a small package!
badgeruw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #22

2018 Basecamp
Delaplane , Virginia
Basecamp Not For Four

My husband and I love our 2018 Basecamp. We purchased both available tents. The unit itself is perfect for two, but when one of us is dressing or putting together a meal, the other prefers to be outside. It is small!
The tents are not completely sealed. There is quite a bit of open space around the wheels that allows air and insects to enter. Its fine for our teen grandchildren in the right weather on a rare trip. In heavy rain, we would have him sleep in the truck.
We use the tents for storage on a longer camping stay.
Having raised four sons with camping, I sincerely recommend you go a little bigger.
Tuckerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM   #23

2013 27' FB International
Calgary , Alberta
Have you looked at the 16' Sport? That might be what you are looking for. It's a little more money, but a slightly used one might get you to the same price. You can sleep 4 in the Sport.
danton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
One other comment I forgot to mention as a "negative" to some, depending on where you plan to camp. Last summer, there were several "bear" concerns at the National Parks, which will close off to "soft side" tents/campers. We camped for a week at Swift Currant in Many Glacier where half the camping area was reserved, but empty due to bear activity. Only hard sided vehicles were allowed to camp. Yellowstone also had this problem also a couple years ago I remember. That can ruin a vacation for some...

Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote