Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St. Petersburg , Florida
Buying a BC anytime soon?

We tried the BCX on for size at a recent RV show. It’s a perfect fit for the type of trips we want take in the next 2 years. (The long term plan when we retire will be upgrading to something larger like a Globetrotter.)

Does anyone plan on buying a new BC X? Has the feedback (good/bad) on this forum or any Youtube videos influenced you? Are you waiting for all the kinks to get worked out or will you just take the plunge?

Our plan is to purchase one this Fall. I find myself having to explain to people what a BCX is and then they look at me like I’m crazy!
WindyCityGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I give up what is a BCX?
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St. Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
I give up what is a BCX?
Sorry, the BCX is the upgraded BC model with bigger tires, rock guards, etc.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
I bought a 2019 last spring/summer. Check out my thread on it. Let me know of specific questions.
trd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St. Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by trd09 View Post
I bought a 2019 last spring/summer. Check out my thread on it. Let me know of specific questions.
Glad you felt you made the right choice! Good pics and feedback as well. A/C and heat are adequate? We would add that option plus solar and we’re good to go.

I hope to travel from Florida, to NJ, my homestate and get one from Colonial. I’ll test it out for a weekend on their lot and head to upstate NY for Sept. then Maine for October. I can’t wait!
Old 03-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Have you scrolled through the list of threads in this forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404/

. . . and read some of the longer threads like the Basecamp Issues and Simple Survey threads?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...es-162632.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ed-184011.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:59 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityGal View Post
We tried the BCX on for size at a recent RV show. It’s a perfect fit for the type of trips we want take in the next 2 years. (The long term plan when we retire will be upgrading to something larger like a Globetrotter.)

Does anyone plan on buying a new BC X? Has the feedback (good/bad) on this forum or any Youtube videos influenced you? Are you waiting for all the kinks to get worked out or will you just take the plunge?

Our plan is to purchase one this Fall. I find myself having to explain to people what a BCX is and then they look at me like I’m crazy!

Love the look of the x. We have an early 2017 and love it. Only suggestion would be to get one with the norcool refrigerator. I think that airstream has worked thru a lot of the early on issues but with any new purchase be prepared for a few bumps in the road.. but most importantly enjoy [emoji6] [emoji4]
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Your important decision's

All trailers made by Airstream will fit people and there needs. not pulling you away however I can tell you we started looking at a BC , well I did. My wife said no #$%)^($*@& Way! . However she could deal with a 16 no problem. Then I read all the problems with the BC and we now have a 25 ft. Happy Wife-Happy life.

Quote:
Glad you felt you made the right choice! Good pics and feedback as well. A/C and heat are adequate? We would add that option plus solar and we’re good to go.

I hope to travel from Florida, to NJ, my homestate and get one from Colonial. I’ll test it out for a weekend on their lot and head to upstate NY for Sept. then Maine for October. I can’t wait!
Life is a Highway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:00 PM   #9
LiveDifferent411

2021 20' Basecamp
Rohnert Park , California
We have purchased a 2019nBasecampX. Absolutely love it. I’d say if your into it after renting... you can’t go wrong. It’s small, but packs a ton of amenities in a small space. Totally worth it. Just be ready for everyone to stop and want to look in and ask questions. Their very unique.
Rnorgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! Which fridge do you have please?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 03-09-2019, 05:55 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St. Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Have you scrolled through the list of threads in this forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404/

. . . and read some of the longer threads like the Basecamp Issues and Simple Survey threads?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...es-162632.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ed-184011.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html

Good luck,

Peter
Yes, I’ve read them, re-read them and took notes. The notes will be part of my discussion with Sales and Service. I hope these new models come with a better fridge and that the issues from prior model years have been improved upon. This forum has an incredible knowledge/experience base and I am grateful to be able to tap into it.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:58 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St. Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae and Ann View Post
Love the look of the x. We have an early 2017 and love it. Only suggestion would be to get one with the norcool refrigerator. I think that airstream has worked thru a lot of the early on issues but with any new purchase be prepared for a few bumps in the road.. but most importantly enjoy [emoji6] [emoji4]
I will absolutely take your suggestion with me to the Dealer! Thank you.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:05 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Yes, I’ve read them, re-read them and took notes. The notes will be part of my discussion with Sales and Service. I hope these new models come with a better fridge and that the issues from prior model years have been improved upon. This forum has an incredible knowledge/experience base and I am grateful to be able to tap into it.
Thanks. If the new OEM fridge includes a 12-volt cooling system, you might want to discuss energy consumption, dual battery power, solar panels and generator use with them. Is a solar panel included with the X model?

Assuming that they have not moved the fridge's location away from up front in the center, the same old issues of direct sunlight in hot weather will challenge the 12v fridge IMO, especially if it still vents to the outside behind the propane cover.

The hot air discharge from any fridge has to leave the trailer ASAP especially in hot weather. Have they created any new vents up through the roof, like many old Airstream designs had? Or at least vent to the side under the awning.

Good luck, and please let us know what they say. If you have read the Simple Survey thread in detail, the issues raised above should be clear.

Good luck! The Basecamp design is so great in many other ways, and we were considering down-sizing to one, but the weak link in the chain [fridge] was a deal-breaker IMO.

Peter
Old 03-09-2019, 06:09 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St. Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
All trailers made by Airstream will fit people and there needs. not pulling you away however I can tell you we started looking at a BC , well I did. My wife said no #$%)^($*@& Way! . However she could deal with a 16 no problem. Then I read all the problems with the BC and we now have a 25 ft. Happy Wife-Happy life.
My husband liked the BC over the Bambi and the Nest. He felt less closed in and he’s a big guy. He was very skeptical sight unseen but once he spent a good amount of time in one and we verified he could fit in the shower he was into it. The panoramic windows and the back door kept that claustrophobic feeling at bay. We will definitely go bigger when we retire.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:53 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Dallas , Texas
We bought a Basecamp X for nearly the same reason...we have been stalling on getting an Interstate or larger Airstream TT due to travel time constraints, so decided the BCX would would give us everything we needed, in a smaller package, until my business travel reduces in 2-3 years. We absolutely love the BCX. We are already talking about keeping it even after we buy a larger unit in the future.
sswanson15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Congratulations on picking the BEST Airsteam . If the Basecamp meet your needs currently great. Do you join one of the wonderful clubs. Great folks an excellent resource about thing AS & more.
Our 1st a 22 foot Bambi and LOVED it for a year and three months. Sold it to friends & they love it. Purchased our forever Airstream 25ft FBT International serenity. Had I known by experience would’ve purchased one gently used. And then had Ultimate Airstream customized it to our exact style and need. Do check out their website. They’re in Oregon. Worth the drive. We live in Southern California. We did buy a brand new 2018 and sent it to Ultimate Airstream where are they made it PERFECT . Welcome again to the Airstream community. Let the adventures begin . No regrets, just awesome adventures.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:51 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
A/C, heat and fridge are good to go. On the heat, set the thermostat 8 degrees cooler than the temperature you desire. The temperature probe is on a cool piece of aluminum.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St. Petersburg , Florida
Go Basecamp!

People on Colonial’s page seem to prefer The Nest a bit more. From what I have been reading, issues with the finished product have not been as problematic.

I am obsessed with The Basecamp X so now I’ve moved on to researching TV’s. I like The Ram 1500 but for now, with this nimble trailer, I am leaning towards a CPO BMW X5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A0FEA3F5-2B65-4AE9-AB8E-C61CEB233F92.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	335469   Click image for larger version

Name:	940CAA42-7CC5-4C39-A5D4-CA780CA58C90.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	335470  

Old 03-13-2019, 05:24 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Quote:
People on Colonial’s page seem to prefer The Nest a bit more. From what I have been reading, issues with the finished product have not been as problematic.

I am obsessed with The Basecamp X so now I’ve moved on to researching TV’s. I like The Ram 1500 but for now, with this nimble trailer, I am leaning towards a CPO BMW X5.
My father has an X5 with the diesel engine. Check that one out. Quick, quiet, and great mpgs.

I think the Basecamp is less problematic when I was researching last year. I'd generally avoid any first year product.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Toronto , Ontario
Base camp X

We brought the 2018 basecamp. We have had the basecamp x panels put on the front to protect the glass and provide a stone guard.
We love our BC and spent 6 weeks travelling in it last year. The only problem I had was that the fridge is too cold sometimes and freezing of veggies occasionally happens.
Hope your travels are filled with fun. As someone else said be prepared everyone wants to see your trailer. It’s a fun little trailer. Great conversation starter. We tow with a Nissan Frontier sometimes you forget your towing it.
That BMW X5 would haul it easily.
hawksbil is offline   Reply With Quote