Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #761
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
I apologize if this is a repeat of another post. I write them and they disappear. This is about the refrigerator replacement/recall. It is a new Dometic fridge. I don’t have the model number, the paperwork is with the trailer in storage. With the three fans and the constant screaming of the fridge and the fans I would not consider it a fix. I am not willing to make any changes to the setup myself. It might void the warranty. But I have notified the dealer and corporate that i am NOT accepting this “fix.” It makes the trailer uninhabitable, and I dry camp almost 100% of the time. Even plugged in to power, off of propane, the fans run constantly and are very loud.
I was hoping, with all the additional insulation this newest fix called for, that it would help with the fan noise. I'll wait to hear more reports. My dealer is clueless on this new fix and warranty gal has not returned my call.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #762
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Vacaville , California
To answer Fricknfrack’s question: Bay Area Airstream told me that a tech from corporate was coming in to work on a solution to the fridges not cooling properly. The dealer had at least 7 BCs waiting for a fix on this problem. After a few weeks of waiting, they called and told me that it was fixed. It included a new fridge, an additional battery to accommodate the extra fans and three new fans. They may have mentioned a recall on the fridge, I don’t remember. Anyway, the results are totally unsatisfactory and I informed them that they need to come up with something else that works and is not so noisy that I can’t sleep. I haven’t heard back yet.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:33 PM   #763
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
To answer Fricknfrack’s question: Bay Area Airstream told me that a tech from corporate was coming in to work on a solution to the fridges not cooling properly. The dealer had at least 7 BCs waiting for a fix on this problem. After a few weeks of waiting, they called and told me that it was fixed. It included a new fridge, an additional battery to accommodate the extra fans and three new fans. They may have mentioned a recall on the fridge, I don’t remember. Anyway, the results are totally unsatisfactory and I informed them that they need to come up with something else that works and is not so noisy that I can’t sleep. I haven’t heard back yet.
The corporate guy was at Bay Area Airstream a couple of weeks ago (maybe he is back again). They were working through what the fix would look like. After talking with the Service Manager, we agreed that I would wait until a few had the fix and reports were in before I did the 200 mile round trip for a total of 400 miles only to get a repeat of what has been three unsuccessful fix attempts (including the stop at Jackson Center this summer).

Your report is obviously discouraging. One of the fixes I got had two additional fans installed (but no baffles or added insulation) and while it did not work to correct the lack of food safe temperature, it kept us awake for many nights on our cross country trip. The tech at JC removed the fans as he had indicated that the production fix was baffles and insulation but no additional fans. That fix failed the warm ambient temp test but at least we got decent sleep for the remainder of our x country trip. I can only imagine how much more noise was added by a third additional fan.

Did BA Airstream determine that your fridge was faulty beyond the venting problems?
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:12 AM   #764
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
2017 Basecamp Issues

Sorry everyone, feel your pain for the lack of a properly function fridge.

It’s just amazing to me that they haven’t figured this out.

What’s more amazing is they have a serious issue impacting many, they develop a fan fix (which IMO is the only way to fix it as is without total redesign) and then they use crappy, loud, $2 fans.

The fact they wont use higher grade silent fans is utterly mind blowing. Are they that cheap??
Old 10-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #765
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
. . .
. . . total redesign . . .
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #766
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
ABQ , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKenmore View Post
The latest fix as per the TSB issued by AS adds one fan plus insulation and baffles to promote proper air flow. Same fridge. My appointment is 11/20 to get this done.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vm8dvpjwkf...to%20.pdf?dl=0
Can we reference this and call Airstream to get the warranty repair moving? Or should we wait to receive the letter from them?
YoungishJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #767
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
No reason to wait. This is a service bulletin not a safety bulletin. As such, they will not be calling you. They are waiting for you to complain.
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #768
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Wait or do it now?

How much hot weather camping will you be doing in the next few months? Summer *might* be over on the east coast. It'll only hit the mid 70's here today after being in the 80's up to this point.

AS is obviously "evolving" in how they fix this. If you can wait until spring - do so. There probably will be a better / different. / improved / alternative fix by then.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #769
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
ABQ , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Wait or do it now?
We mostly boondock in the Southwest so the 2nd battery would be great.

The concerns of the fan noise don't really bother me as I sleep with a white noise machine on at home. The sounds of nature are always preferred but this isn't a detriment.
YoungishJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:57 AM   #770
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungishJedi View Post
We mostly boondock in the Southwest so the 2nd battery would be great.

The concerns of the fan noise don't really bother me as I sleep with a white noise machine on at home. The sounds of nature are always preferred but this isn't a detriment.
I wouldn't be so sure about this, until you have seen a "fixed" BC in person and tried sleeping in one IMO. Hopefully someone can post some decibel levels for the new fan.

Good luck!

Peter
Old 10-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #771
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawford , Colorado
I travel a lot on dusty roads and notice a lot of dust in my Basecamp. I know the back door does not seal well but will dust enter thru the vents in front of the refrigerator?

Thanks
dickgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #772
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawford , Colorado
Will someone please check their Basecamp and tell me if the drivers side, rear, overhead storage netting has one or 2 support straps screwed into the ceiling. The passenger side netting has 2 such straps.

I worry about putting too much weight up there because the only real supports are the end brackets screwed into the walls.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #773
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickgeo View Post
I travel a lot on dusty roads and notice a lot of dust in my Basecamp. I know the back door does not seal well but will dust enter thru the vents in front of the refrigerator?

Thanks

I grew up on dirt roads in SE AZ, dust can’t really be stopped.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #774
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:

Thanks
The back door on my 2017 Basecamp only had a rubber seal on about the top third of the frame. When others complained about dust, I added more seal to mine myself. I bought it by the foot at a local RV place. I bought 12 feet and it didn't take that much, but it took more than 10 feet. The back door seals really well now. I'm not sure dust coming in through the front vents would get inside the camper ... I would think it would be trapped behind the refrigerator.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:16 PM   #775
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Will someone please check their Basecamp and tell me if the drivers side, rear, overhead storage netting has one or 2 support straps screwed into the ceiling. The passenger side netting has 2 such straps.

I worry about putting too much weight up there because the only real supports are the end brackets screwed into the walls.

Thanks

Our 2018 has just 1 on the driver’s (street) side on both front and rear and 2 on the passenger (curb) side.
TroyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #776
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawford , Colorado
Thanks for looking
Old 10-18-2017, 07:30 AM   #777
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyH View Post
Our 2018 has just 1 on the driver’s (street) side on both front and rear and 2 on the passenger (curb) side.
Same with mine; 2017.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #778
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Seattle , Washington
Quote:

Thanks
Got some dust inside from the wheel wells that were damaged prior to the axle recall.
nwcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #779
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Essex , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgcullen View Post
The window shattering issue does not seem to be an isolated incident. I picked up my 2018 Basecamp two weeks ago and immediately hit the road with it - drove from Seattle to Utah, New Mexico, and Colorado. On the first morning, I woke up and opened the door. A strong wind pulled the door out of my hand...the door swung open and “POP” the window shattered. I taped it up (Gorilla Tape works miracles) and continued on my trip. I told the dealer (Airstream Adventures Northwest in Covington, WA) that this should be a warranty repair as it is a design flaw. They are still “researching” that. In the meantime, the Basecamp is at the dealer for the window repair, the refrigerator recall fix, some leaks that were discovered (I think through both the refrigerator vent and the rear hatch seal), the shower caddy coming off the wall (why did they use that sticky stuff instead of screwing it into the wall?), and a few rivets that popped out.
I worried about this and modified a yacht transom door catch to the right angle - there is no support directly behind the base of the catch, so it bounces a little, and if slammed into the catch, it might bend the panel - but I wanted this to secure the door with a little push - kind of expensive since I wanted it to look OEM -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171019_134945.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	297321   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171019_134936.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	297322  

Tom P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #780
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom P. View Post
. . .
. . . it might bend the panel . . .
. . .
Definitely will put a major dent in the panel IMO, when a strong gust of wind catches the door, and slams it against the new catch.

And it will also probably put a significant dent in the door panel, where the white rubber bumper is touching it.

Not as easy to fix as a broken window.