Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2020, 11:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lee’s Summit , Alaska
Basecamp 20X and Sway Bars

Quick Question: Dealer has told me that sway bars cannot be added to the 2020 Basecamp 20X due to how the trailer frame is made and the propane tank case on the neck of the trailer. Anyone know if that is true?

I was about to buy the Andersen or Blue Ox set-up, but now I’m concerned the trailer frame will not accommodate the WD/Sway brackets... Thoughts? Anyone have them on their 20X? Or experience pulling a BC20 with a full size truck and the amount of sway?

Thanks,

Lintcj
Lintcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:58 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
You can squeeze a single friction sway bar on the A-frame of the Basecamp. There is supposed to be one brand of WD that can be made to fit, if needed, but if you really need a WD system for your TV to tow a Basecamp, it probably isn't the best thing to be using.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:06 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard👍

^
Referenced above...worked very well on our single axle Safari.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lee’s Summit , Alaska
Okay, great. Thanks for the feedback. The TV is a full size 2500 HD truck, so I think I’m going to try it without any WD for a bit and see how it goes. Then if I need to add something to manage it, I will do so. But based off of experience with single axel box trailers, I’m hoping I won’t experience anything that reducing speed in high winds and tapping the trailer brakes cannot handle.

Appreciate the help, and looking forward to participating in the form more as we use the trailer.

Take care.

Lintcj
Old 08-07-2020, 11:18 PM   #5
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Be real careful that you have 15 to 20% of the TT gross weight on the tongue if you are not using any kind of sway control. If you are too light on the tongue you willl be in for a wild ride above 35 MPH. I have witnessed 3 or 4 events like that and they all end up in a disaster. People get killed that way!
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lee’s Summit , Alaska
Thanks for the advise guskmg. I will definitely be keeping an eye on that. I’ve already started looking at ball height and coupler height to ensure I have proper alignment to ensure I can manage tongue weight effectively. I may get a ball mount that allows you to weigh the tongue weight, but as you said, I’ll know pretty darn quick if my measurements and visual checks aren’t sufficient in ensuring the tongue weight is heavy enough. Right now, top of ball is 24”, coupler is 21”. So I’m going with 4” drop on ball mount. With that and some TV sag, I should definitely have weight forward on the tongue while remaining somewhat level.

Here’s to not killing anyone. Cheers.

Lintcj
Old 08-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Louisville , Kentucky
Basecamp sway bar bracket attachment

We have a 2020 Basecamp X and I would imagine the propane cover is very similar on the new Basecamp 20X. I was able to attach the sway bar brackets without any modification to the propane cover. I would recommend removing the cover temporarily while installing the brackets to allow room for wrenches, sockets, fingers, etc. Our hitch is a 6K equalizer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75C82B05-C8C2-4429-B5BA-5C6D29EF422D.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	375452   Click image for larger version

Name:	0A092372-64D8-43F5-B8E6-595B88FFBD2E.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	375453  

Rolind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:37 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lee’s Summit , Alaska
Thank you Rolind. This is extremely helpful and good to know that it is definitely possible to add the sway bars and weight distribution system if needed. This is exactly what I was hoping. If you don’t mind me asking, what system did you end up going with? Was it made specifically for the Basecamp? Or just a Blue Ox (or other brand) 6000?

Thanks!

Lintcj
Old 08-10-2020, 10:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintcj View Post
Thank you Rolind. This is extremely helpful and good to know that it is definitely possible to add the sway bars and weight distribution system if needed. This is exactly what I was hoping. If you don’t mind me asking, what system did you end up going with? Was it made specifically for the Basecamp? Or just a Blue Ox (or other brand) 6000?

Thanks!

Lintcj
Pardon me butting in, but he said Equalizer 6K, confirmed by the photos; they show the L brackets for an Equalizer WD hitch.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lee’s Summit , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Pardon me butting in, but he said Equalizer 6K, confirmed by the photos; they show the L brackets for an Equalizer WD hitch.
Got it. Thanks Mikeinca. I didn’t realize that was the brand, I thought it meant it was a WD hitch. Appreciate you pointing that out. Thanks to all.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintcj View Post
Got it. Thanks Mikeinca. I didn’t realize that was the brand, I thought it meant it was a WD hitch. Appreciate you pointing that out. Thanks to all.
You're welcome and enjoy your new Basecamp!

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote