Old 05-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #407
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Victorinox
2017 Basecamp
Lacey , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Miller View Post
Did your bolts have nuts on them? My street side; the bracket is just fastened with self tapping screws, which I fear will work their way out of the thin sheet metal.
No nuts, just the screws, which got thinner at the end (sorry, I don't know much about hardware). I'm wondering if it had been removed during the install of the new axle, and not properly secured afterwards. Anyway, one of many issues… the leaks made the trailer uninhabitable after my bedding got saturated (there was no way it would dry in the cold, damp weather we were experiencing). Back to the dealership it goes, again.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #408
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
My gasket was just improperly installed ... the sticky part that should have been against the door frame was turned around, so it stuck to the door. My dealer replaced it.
...Sigh...

Old 05-18-2017, 07:25 PM   #409
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WetPaws View Post
No nuts, just the screws, which got thinner at the end (sorry, I don't know much about hardware). I'm wondering if it had been removed during the install of the new axle, and not properly secured afterwards. Anyway, one of many issues… the leaks made the trailer uninhabitable after my bedding got saturated (there was no way it would dry in the cold, damp weather we were experiencing). Back to the dealership it goes, again.
Yes, that is a tapping screw. Ask you dealer if they feel something more securing needs to be used when they remount that. Just wish they could figure out where all your leaks are coming from. So frustrating for you!!
Old 05-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #410
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Those tubes are not attached well on any AS I've owned. Best thing, don't use it, put the slinky in a plastic tub?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #411
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Those tubes are not attached well on any AS I've owned. Best thing, don't use it, put the slinky in a plastic tub?
I drive an SUV and I don't particularly want it in a plastic tub in the back of the SUV with my dogs. I don't particularly want it in my camper either. I'll just work on that myself. My Rhinoflex slinky didn't fit in the tub when I bought it and I had to sand down some tabs on the cap for it to even fit.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #412
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Edwardsville , Illinois
Quote:
My gasket was just improperly installed ... the sticky part that should have been against the door frame was turned around, so it stuck to the door. My dealer replaced it.
THat's the way mine was. Improper installation. Dealer said he would fix it.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #413

2017 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
St. Louis , Missouri
Hi - we've been having many of the same issues that I've read about on here - massive leak from the air conditioner screws ostensibly not being factory tightened, leaks from under the refrigerator and back door, side door flying open while driving, tire rubbing (taking in for recall work soon), short tabletops impossible to remove (they are still on there).
My most pressing question has to do with the spare tire. After taking it out early this week, I noticed that the spare tire was dangling under the back. I got the supplied tool that had been mailed to me and tried to crank the spare back up. I turn and turn and nothing is happening.... anyone had this problem?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:47 PM   #414

Cherryville , North Carolina
Will not purchase a BC..bummed

New to this forum and hace read all of the issues with the BC. My wife and I had really considered a BC for travel as she will be retiring in the near future.

Based on what I have read and learned on here there is no way I would ever consider purchasing a 38-40k BC. Leaks, mold issues, axle replacements, holes in water tanks, doors not stay secure, to name just a few, where is the quaility control with Air Stream? Sounds like a post BC purchase employment system for dealerships to keep their techs busy.

Thanks to the many BC owners on this forum for posting up the issues. I can't imagine laying out 40k plus and having to deal with any of the issues posted on here. This is 2017, one would think that anything Air Stream would be top shelf. Wow, it appears not so. Our closest dealer here in Western NC is a few hours away in SC. So running a BC back to a dealer for poor design flaws or QC is not something I find appealing.

Again thank you for this information. This research has saved my wife and I from making a very poor financial choice.

-Patriot
Old 05-20-2017, 07:26 PM   #415
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
AS's been building campers since the 1930's, they should know how to do this by now ... just saying :-) :-)
Old 05-21-2017, 05:53 AM   #416
1 Rivet Member

Winnipeg , Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by lruffin View Post
Hi - we've been having many of the same issues that I've read about on here - massive leak from the air conditioner screws ostensibly not being factory tightened, leaks from under the refrigerator and back door, side door flying open while driving, tire rubbing (taking in for recall work soon), short tabletops impossible to remove (they are still on there).

My most pressing question has to do with the spare tire. After taking it out early this week, I noticed that the spare tire was dangling under the back. I got the supplied tool that had been mailed to me and tried to crank the spare back up. I turn and turn and nothing is happening.... anyone had this problem?

From what I have read on this forum, the wrench that was sent out is for the lug nuts on your wheels. The lowering and raising wrench was delivered with the trailer. They are different sizes.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #417
1 Rivet Member

Winnipeg , Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
New to this forum and hace read all of the issues with the BC. My wife and I had really considered a BC for travel as she will be retiring in the near future.

Based on what I have read and learned on here there is no way I would ever consider purchasing a 38-40k BC. Leaks, mold issues, axle replacements, holes in water tanks, doors not stay secure, to name just a few, where is the quaility control with Air Stream? Sounds like a post BC purchase employment system for dealerships to keep their techs busy.

Thanks to the many BC owners on this forum for posting up the issues. I can't imagine laying out 40k plus and having to deal with any of the issues posted on here. This is 2017, one would think that anything Air Stream would be top shelf. Wow, it appears not so. Our closest dealer here in Western NC is a few hours away in SC. So running a BC back to a dealer for poor design flaws or QC is not something I find appealing.

Again thank you for this information. This research has saved my wife and I from making a very poor financial choice.

-Patriot

Ditto to what you said, don't want to make the trip for warranty repairs (5 hour drive each way).

We were ready to purchase but with reading this forum we are now looking for something else. Too bad as like most on the forum the concept of the BC is really what attracted us to the trailer.

Hope those with the trailer are successful with their repairs.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #418
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Edwardsville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post

-Patriot
I can certainly understand why you have decided not to purchase a Basecamp after reading about the issues on this forum. I don't think I would purchase one or I would at least delay a purchase until they worked out the bugs. With that said, I've taken two trips with my Basecamp and I absolutely love it. It's everything I imagined it to be. It pulls like it's not there and it's the perfect size for my solo travels. My unit did not have the water tank holes. The seal on the bathroom door pulled away but I simply put it back and it has stayed put. The hose storage cover was lost but the dealer will replace it and I'll use channel locks to tighten it per a suggestion on this forum. The table tops remain my biggest complaint as they are hard to remove from the short supports. Of course, the wheel replacement is the biggie but I had no scuffing or rubbing because I only put around 100 lbs in the trailer. I did get some water in my trig but it was't a big problem. My Basecamp is currently at the dealership having all of these issues addressed. I took it in last week and should have it this week. I'm only about an hour away, so it's not a problem to take it in. All in all, I didn't expect these kind of issues from a $40K Airstream but I think they'll work them out soon in production. At this point, I'm still glad I bought it and look forward to a lot of travel this summer.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:33 PM   #419
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Vacaville , California
I now have 3000 miles on my BC and am now glad I bought it. In someone's comments a non owner mentioned mold issues. There are NO mold issues. The dealer (Bay Area Airstream) has worked hard at rebuilding the things because of poor design and quality control from corporate. It suits my needs perfectly. It's easy to handle and comfortable. I just returned from Yosemite and it was HOT. The air conditioner is very noisy but very welcome. First time out with the new axle and tires. It's finally working out.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:56 AM   #420
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Long beach , Mississippi
My dealership is busy with mine , axle and tires; I had the best time with mine the only time out and can not wait to get her back. Besides the punch list items I'm adding that scoop looking vent cover to my fan so it can stay open with no rain coming in. My ridge pole for the back tent has come in and the spare tire tool had arrived also. Meanwhile I am planning trips and still wanting a generator I could pick up or mount above the propane tanks and not see it in the windows
The BC (Luna Sea) its perfect for me.